• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

arriving units advise
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM,
arriving units advise
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2006, 05:03 AM,
RE: arriving units advise
tojothedog Wrote:I am playing a scenario where my opponent knows of the arrival hex, and has placed his units right outside the arriving hex. The frustrating part is when I click on adding them to the map, they are immediatley surrounded and destroyed. Any advise on how to play this ? as I am no longer allowing those units to arrival. (rather not lose all units in 2 turns..too many points)
Thanks !

Generally this is considered a very gamey tactic. If he has formed a general line of defense which comes up to the arrival location then he could try to argue that he was just in the vicinity when they arrived. But if he is sitting there waiting to ambush your reinforcements it is very gamey.

In reality your troops would organise offensively, for the encounter with his troops in hexes, off map and march to meet his troops in battle formation. This is something the arrival system can't take account of.

If he was anything of a sportsman he would move back and allow you to come out to meet him swinging. If he has your arrival hexes surrounded I imagine he has plenty of advanatage already.

Personally I would ask him to play the game in the spirit it was intended and if he wont give you a break, finish the game and find another partner.
10-03-2006, 05:32 AM,
Send this user an email
10-03-2006, 08:51 AM,
thanks for the responses !
much appreciated
Game is Market Garden
Scenario 0971_01s
Turn 9
Glen,
if you want the turn I would be happy to email it to you
The Allied player has hit all the sides of the map
as soon as my troops arrive...they get shot up and I cant move
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM,
RE:��arriving units advise
tojothedog Wrote:thanks for the responses !
much appreciated
Game is Market Garden
Scenario 0971_01s
Turn 9
Glen,
if you want the turn I would be happy to email it to you
The Allied player has hit all the sides of the map
as soon as my troops arrive...they get shot up and I cant move

Well I can take a look - sounds like the player is OUTSIDE the Protection range so there isn't much I can do either. But I will look and see.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-03-2006, 04:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2006, 04:15 PM by Dog Soldier.)
The protection zones for the German reinforcements south of the Waal River in 0917_01s are only one or two hexes deep. Not much when one considers the 101 AB can easily reach those entrance hexes in their area and find good terrain to ambush the Germans as they enter.

If it only took the Allied player until turn nine to clear all the German forces south of the Waal River and sit on your entrance hexes, your in a world of hurt strategically. Better focus on holding the bridges at Nijmegen and wiping out the Red Devils at Arnhem.
Leave the OBUs where they are, safe off board for now.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-05-2006, 10:29 PM,
This is in my view a major problem with MG I tried adding a 1 SP unit with a wider protection area to each hex each turn but it was a pain in the rear and I gave up. IF we could have permenent protection areas that would be good. In the end for 2 player play I used blown AT ditches to deliniate the area and the Allies can not enter these. That way the Germans can hit and run and the allies must leave troops behind to secure the area. If anyone wants the amended scen to try please email me.

Mike