• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DTR is great!
09-28-2006, 01:54 PM,
DTR is great!
To anyone on the fence: Buy it! The A/I is really sharp and you can play this game all night long, suddenly looking out the window, seeing the morning light, feeling somewhat groggy, yet wanting to get in one more crack at the damn A/I. I had some installation problems but the membership helped me out and got me running in less than 24 hours. Now I'm addicted. von ege.cheers
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM,
RE: DTR is great!
Go get some sleep! Big Grin Seriously though, Von Egan is right. This is a well done & enjoyable game. Haven't played the RAF side yet but I can say that if you play as the Nachtjagd it's :censored: hard to get even a minor victory 2 weeks in a row. The British AI makes full use of it's jamming technologies so you're blind as a bat at times. DTR gives you a real feel for just how tough it was for the German fighter controllers & nightfighter pilots to do their jobs. Just my 2 cents...
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM,
Gotta agree,this one is addictive.Hopefully we will see some more of this engine down the road.
Kuriltai
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM,
"The British AI makes full use of it's jamming technologies so you're blind as a bat at times. DTR gives you a real feel for just how tough it was for the German fighter controllers & nightfighter pilots to do their jobs."

I too have been trying to get the hang of the game as the Luftwaffe and It's very difficult against the British A/I. I built up a lot of He-219 nightfighters but neglected my radar and doctrine, so I had a large fleet of hot radar directed nightfighers that couldn't locate anything. Berlin was razed! The A/I is very organized. von ege. cheers
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-29-2006, 03:57 PM by Gasbag.)
Positioning a couple of Wilde Sau Units around Berlin (as per the Designer's Notes) & getting them up & patrolling directly over the potential target a couple of game pulses before it looks like they (RAF) might hit "the big city" may enable you to do some serious damage to them. Berlin will still get "hit for six" :hissy: but you'll make them pay dearly!:boom3: Although they have the nasty habit of crashing on landing I've found that the Wilde Sau Units can be pretty good interceptors.

Also consider posting a long range gruppe (ie. Ju-88) to Eschwege. I would use a Ju-88 equipped gruppe as they can stay up for 5 hours as opposed to the Me-110's 4 hour limit.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
09-29-2006, 09:31 PM,
I don't have the game yet... but I was wondering.

What is the most effective: attack the bombers on their way back home (I would prefere that one if possible) or before they arrive to their target?
Send this user an email
09-29-2006, 09:46 PM,
Thanks guys this is an interesting thread with helpful comments.

However I confess to be sitting on the fence before making the final decision to part with my hard earned.

I have three concerns/questions :

1. I saw somewhere that one of the designers of this game said he wanted it to a "beer and pretzels " game. I used to play BTR and I enjoyed the detail of that game so maybe this one is not for me. Do you guys see this as a b&p game ?

2. Do one week turns really play out okay ? I would have thought that a game of this kind would need daily turns to be reasonably realistic.

3. Apart from the fact you you play as either the British or the German what is the replayability factor ? And how long does a campaign take ? I hope a reasonably long time--not like just a couple of hours.

Thx for any comments !
09-29-2006, 11:29 PM,
While the designer calls it a "beer & pretzels" game I think that you'll find this game to be quite realistic & detailed yet very playable. The game runs from August '43 to May '44 (roughly 45 weeks) & turns take around 20-30 minutes (depending on how long you decide to spend planning your operations). I think that one week turns are fine. As was stated previously, the AI is very solid. I've had the game for about 2 weeks & have yet to see it make a stupid move. As others have said, it's very easy to get hooked on the game.

I'd save some of your fighter assets to hit the bombers on their way back.
09-30-2006, 02:33 AM,
[quote=Gasbag]
"Positioning a couple of Wilde Sau Units around Berlin (as per the Designer's Notes) & getting them up & patrolling directly over the potential target a couple of game pulses before it looks like they (RAF) might hit "the big city" may enable you to do some serious damage to them. Berlin will still get "hit for six" :hissy: but you'll make them pay dearly!:boom3: Although they have the nasty habit of crashing on landing I've found that the Wilde Sau Units can be pretty good interceptors."

My experience with Wilde Sau, Me-109's that are not radar directed night fighters, is that they crash on landing, sometimes as many as five or six per turn, and they don't hit a thing. After a while I just posted them to the south of France and got them out of the way. von ege cheers

09-30-2006, 02:37 AM,
"1. I saw somewhere that one of the designers of this game said he wanted it to a "beer and pretzels " game. I used to play BTR and I enjoyed the detail of that game so maybe this one is not for me. Do you guys see this as a b&p game ?"

The game is just fun to play, but it is also realistic. von ege cheers