• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

High Losses in N44 (Carentan Scenario)
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2006, 03:20 PM by PenCapChew.)
High Losses in N44 (Carentan Scenario)
Hello. I was wondering why losses generally in N44 (in particular the Carentan scenario) are really high. For example, I played the stock campaign and Volcano's man version of Carentan. Here is a comparision of losses on the first turn:

Stock Version:
Turn 1
Axis Losses: 89
Allied Losses: 225 (axis artillery caused a whopping 51 men losses from this total amount!!)

Volcano's Man Alt version
Turn 1
Axis Losses: 59
Allied Losses: 43

To further illustrate the point, here is the tally after turn 3 (Stock Campaign)

Axis: 624
Allied: 1106

I was doing some research to find actual 101st AB losses at this particular point in the campaign and wasn't able to find concrete data on casualties. As it stands in the stock campaign, the 101st after turn 3 is near combat ineffective. Most of the companies are decimated or half strength. My question is, is this a facet of game design for N44? Other PzC games(even at company level) I have played don't seem to have such a high loss ratio. I was wondering if this was designed on purpose (perhaps historical effect..etc). Volcano's man version has significantly less losses, which allows the 101st in this scenario to seem to hold on much longer. Any opinions or comments on this issue are greatly appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2006, 04:26 PM,
RE: High Losses in N44 (Carentan Scenario)
Well, my ALT scenarios have less losses because the terrain values are a little different and overall the infantry have a lower attack rating. But this can be misleading. You can suffer just as much in the ALT scenarios albeit from other weapons.

Not sure what the problem you are having with the N44 losses though. If you are playing the scenario where the airborne drop into Normandy then they will suffer losses due to the unit being scattered on drop.
Send this user an email
09-25-2006, 01:34 AM,
The scenario I am referring to states
"Carentan, 15km south of UTAH Beach, D+7, June 13th, 1944: A week into the invasion and the Screaming Eagles, the US 101st Airborne Division had crossed the Douve River and had driven a wedge into the Carentan Gap. This area was critical for both sides as the Germans needed it to shift reinforcements west to face the US VII Corps driving to cut the Cherboug Peninsula. The Allies saw it as key to linking up with the OMAHA beachhead. In the early morning hours of June 13th 'the ground shook' as German Panzergrenadiers, supported by Assault Guns struck the lightly equipped US Airborne troopers. The 'Screaming Eagles' were ordered to hold their ground as elements of the US 2nd Armored Division rushed forward for the beachhead"

The stock scenario losses are the highest I have seen in comparison to other PzC games that are default COMPANY level I have played(sicily for ex). Your alternate version has losses that are significantly lower. The axis artillery for example can cause on average 50 men losses a turn. While playing yours, it averaged 10. I was wondering why the big difference as yours seems more correct at the moment.

09-25-2006, 04:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2006, 04:30 AM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email