• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
09-28-2006, 11:54 AM,
RE: Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
Great thread. My two cents:

First, I think that, no matter what its final form, the fact that Matrix is doing a reissue of the CS is a huge plus for the longevity of the game format, and the greatest news possible for all of the scenario designers. Without someone with a commercial interest stepping up to keep this series alive, its death would have been just a matter of time (though to date, it has certainly defied the odds).

I have no issue with the old stock scenes (flawed historically as they may be in some cases) being reissued. They are popular, and having a new generation of CS players without easy access to them will create a void within the CS gaming community.

In regard to Brevard's scenes: fun, playable, well balanced. But with obvious historical flaws (including the maps); they were not researched as well as they could have been (and I am not talking about nit-picky minor details). I agree that every scenario could be readily picked apart, and there is always someone out there with some specialty knowledge of a particular battle who could contest a fact or two about even the best researched scene (including my own). No unit records or AA reports are so complete that a 100% acccurate depiction can be made (especially when it comes to reconstructing the "other side of the hill"). I share Huib's passion for "getting it right", and wish that all scenario designers were like-minded. But at this moment in time, that is wishful thinking, and I wouldn't think it wise, in the greater scheme of things, to limit the release to the rather limited pool of more accurate scenes. I do hope, however, that Matrix includes as many of these scenes as possible with the new release
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2006, 10:54 PM,
To Don and Huib,

If it was lost in my strong opinions on the stock scns...I too value historical accuracy. As Don relates above, we can have the best of both worlds.

Mike
"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."
- General George Patton Jr
09-29-2006, 05:20 AM,
Good points Don i dare say we cant always get what we want,hopefully Matrix will keep the game alive for us members for a few more years and bring in some new recruits.
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM,
Just wanna know would the new cd be able to pbem with guys with the old. And I really want new graphics and revised unit sp values to make me buy it, as I dont have compability probs at all.
09-30-2006, 12:23 AM,
RE:��Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
Send this user an email
09-30-2006, 01:18 AM,
RE: ��Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
09-30-2006, 02:42 AM,
RE: ��Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
09-30-2006, 12:20 PM,
Two questions for you, Herr Petho,

1) Have night-fighting rules been applied now to WF?
2) Have bunker values been standardized across games (I've always felt EFII bunkers were too hard to crack, while WF bunkers were too easy)?
3) Have any/some/all of the German units from Project Blitzkrieg been imported to WF?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM,
RE:��Matrix and the new stuff ie CD2 by the Blitz members.
Steelrain60 Wrote:Two questions for you, Herr Petho,

1) Have night-fighting rules been applied now to WF?

I believe that is the case, but will have to confirm.

Steelrain60 Wrote:2) Have bunker values been standardized across games (I've always felt EFII bunkers were too hard to crack, while WF bunkers were too easy)?

I agree, they are way to easy. I believe they will be.

Steelrain60 Wrote:3) Have any/some/all of the German units from Project Blitzkrieg been imported to WF?

That is the intention, yes.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Send this user an email
09-30-2006, 08:05 PM,
Oh well....I can live with sp values considering the work invovled, but as long as all the features like flares(night) secure pbem,some tweaking of camofluaged a/t rules spotting after firing, retreating backwards of tanks elimenated,ability of night and day turns of the longer scenario(which would make JP's scenarios a delight),higher consistency of op fire as ambushes are so inconsistent, bunker assualt rules revised,better sounds,unit graphics,auto play of cd straight into game screen instead of getting install screen,engineers limited to smoke rounds as well as tanks,bloody useless airstrikes revised,what about that bloody big red D that shines like a beacon. Hell we can balance the old scenarios ourselves infact I remember someone who started and we have new scenarios all the time. We will always have trouble trying to get a balanced game because of the players abilities and designer viewpoints.
Please offer me something other than compability and one disk install.
Oh yeah what about the ablity to play a game without seeing the makeup of opposition forces. I would love to play blind and have a accurate briefing of what to do and what to expect and I dont like the ability to be able to open up the scenerio file and study every blade of grass before you play.
Earl is on the right track with his recent email regarding games being played without the scn. file,perhaps we can have a game master or two who can deliver files to opponents, then my friends we have a compelling addicitive wargame to get us thru to 2010.
This club is great with Matrix and the people involved it can only get better but the upgrades I hope will be patches and not pay as you download.
Anyways enough warbling time to get another port.