• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The coolness of PBEM
09-14-2006, 02:10 AM,
The coolness of PBEM
I had a rough day yesterday, torrential rain, tough driving, street flooding all made for a very stressful ride home from work. Was sitting down with a drink to send out a couple of games I'm in the middle of when it really struck me. I'm taking on a German Company led by a guy living in Turkey, and chasing the North Koreans led by a guy living in New Zealand. How cool is that, really?

I just need to figure out a way to keep Oz's MG crews away from my infantry and how to cut off Nik's fleeing NK hoard. Easier said than done.

;)
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2006, 11:35 AM,
RE: The coolness of PBEM
Like I always say I think SqB is one of the funnist pbem games around. It ain't bad live either. I played a few with Frank online and it was a gas chatting back and forth as we blasted each other. Hope to do that again someday.

Cheers, mate! cheers

RedMike...out
09-14-2006, 07:38 PM,
Fleeing? I reckon it is a rather vigorous advance to the rear. Kind of a regular occurance in my games. :)

I agree - great fun playing and meeting opponents from all over the place.

Tough nut to crack against Oz. Reckon you might need a couple more under your belt to take that one out!

cheers

Nik
09-15-2006, 12:11 AM,
"Tough nut to crack against Oz. Reckon you might need a couple more under your belt to take that one out"

Yeap.

I love this game.

09-15-2006, 02:12 AM,
I do agree that I'm not planning on winning much against Oz, unless he opts to lay down his weapons and surrender to my advancing GIs. That would be fine with me. I have learned to really pay attention to detail in our two games. I sometimes rush things, don't always study the terrain and objectives as well as I should (over-eager to get into the fight), but I'm starting to turn that corner and really study the maps before making moves. Case in point, in our first meeting on ES Hide and Seek, I spent so much time anticipating his attack on my objectives that I totally missed the fact that there was an exit hex in the SW corner of the map. By the time I realized it (half way through the game), the main body of his troops were already down in that direction. I had no chance to stop his guys from exiting the map. I tried to speed some men down there, but he had enough of a head-start and blocking force to make it a futile attempt. Truth be told, I didn't lose many men or an objective, but took a major loss anyway. Had I been a bit more observant, I could have set a ambush in that general direction that would have slowed him up and allowed me to at least make a game of it.

I still don't feel that I'm all that good, but I may not totally suck, which is OK by me for a while....

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
09-17-2006, 06:20 AM,
Ah, PBEM life.
I am standing behind my defensive positions and waiting; listening the growing sounds of Union cavalry and their cannons. We will kick yanks out of Missouri.
Timewarp...
My platoon of grenadiers are anxiously observing the road leading to our positions in France. Most of them are green but the appearance of some fallshirmjagers gave them some moral boost. Hope the GIs dont have armor; no sound of tracks though.
Timewarp
I am observing the hilly lanscape while my SADF armored cavalry platoon moving towars the enemy territory. Rumours say some enemy soldiers are wearing Cuban uniforms.

None of us learned wargaming and SB in our Mothers. The issue is learning from experiences; thinking about our mistakes; always trying to improve our tactics and game approach; above all having fun while doing that. Winning or loosing is not important; but taking the hobby seriously is. Alan takes his fight seriously. I am sure he will be a very succesful SB player.