• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad Mobile Divisions
09-10-2006, 04:09 AM,
Stalingrad Mobile Divisions
Here is a question about the German use of his mobile divisions in the campaign game; the question is particularly applicable, I think, to the SS to the rescue campaign.

1) The German can withdraw all his mobile divisions from the pocket. This "saves" the divisions, but is it really a good idea? Without the panzer divisions, can the pocket sustain itself? It seems to me the critical component of the game is to maintain the pocket. On the other hand, if one withdraws the mobile formations, thay can engage in stinging counter attacks against the Soviet southern pincer, perhaps throwing off the entire southern effort.

2) With the above in mind, what should one do with the 29th Mot? Does it do better service inside, or outside the pocket? Again, maintenance of the pocket is critical. On one hand, the 29th could serve as a powerful mobile reserve in the pocket. On the other hand, without the 29th delaying to the southwest, would the Soviets drive all the way to the lower Don and stymy any SS attempt to cross and drive to Stalingrad?

3) What to do with the much-maligned 22nd Panzer? Run to the "safety" of the Chir and establish a defensive front, or use the division to save the German divisions west of the Don, allowing them to withdraw into the pocket? On one hand, trying to save the infantry with the 22nd might allow an early Russian crossing of the Chir as well as possibly losing the 22nd on the open steppe.

Anyway, much to consider with this game...
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2006, 11:32 AM,
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions
I have not yet had the pleasure of the S42 CG games yet, but much experience with the Operation Uranus battle depicted in other game systems before PzC.

Seems these questions are the same ones faced by me in these other games, so, HPS got this title right to force a commander to choose between two evils with no safe game winning route to follow.

Well Done HPS!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-11-2006, 02:08 AM,
I'm currently playing Fury in the SS to the Rescue scenario as the Germans. At the start of our game, I made a very high risk decision to move the entire 6th Army to the southwest and try and avoid the formation of the Kessel. However, after about 40 turns, It's become apparent to me that this strategy was a mistake. The infantry moves too slowly, and there's no avoiding the Kessel. Except in my case, it's going to form near Kolach. This of course is bad, as I will have lost all control of the Airfield supply sources by then. Once this occurs, the end wont be long in comming.
Sure enough, as Aolain, indicates, the mobile divisions could have been removed to the West relatively easily, but it's my oppinion that the infantry would never be able to survive long enough for the mobile divisions to make a rescue. The strength and mobility of the mobile divisions are vital to maintaining the pocket long enough for the SS divisions in the west to come into play. I suspect that if the infantry were left alone, they would be cut up pretty easily long before a cohesive pocket could be formed. Then, what units were left inside a weak and small pocket would be destroyed long before the SS could make a rescue attempt. And even if they weren't, the Soviet side could concentrate a large part of his forces to the West to keep the SS at bay.

Send this user an email
09-11-2006, 05:42 AM,
Hey Grrr,

If you get the chance could you keep a couple of turns along the way and at the end post a picture or two of the strategic map? Would really like to see what the map looks like with the pocket near Kalach.

Marty

P.S. You going to Tiller Con II? I will be there!
09-11-2006, 07:35 AM,
I think S42 shows what a fix the Germans got themselves into, and the brilliance of the Soviet counterattack. The whole German 1942 offensive was a misconceived adventure.
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM,
von Nev,

We're not quite there yet, but if possible, I'll save a view for you to take a look at.

Send this user an email