• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Appropriate etiquette
08-22-2006, 04:07 AM,
Appropriate etiquette
Bootie or Whomever...

What is the appropriate etiquette or procedures for using the H2H section for scenario testing.... Over the next few days I will have 3 or 4 new BB and AK scenarios that need testing... I usually use THE PROVING GROUNDS to get scenarios playtested... Is it appropriate to post in both places... etc etc etc.... any guidelines so as I do not upset someone would be appreicated...;)

That is all...
***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2006, 07:01 AM,
RE: Appropriate etiquette
Please post the scenarios and I will approve them for H2H. Note that we require the scenario designers to complete all the relevant data (i.e., number of turns, size modifier, brief description, etc.). The better the description, the more likely the scenario will get play tested.

Regards, and enjoy.

Schacht
08-23-2006, 12:46 AM,
10-4

Thanks very mucho.... will post in a few days....

That is all...

***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email
08-26-2006, 11:21 AM,
Another question regarding playtesting...is it typical to provide in-process updates to the designer? Are we testing just for fun/balance, or is there something else, more specific we should be looking for? An example is a scenario I am playtesting at the moment, On the Run (CMBB). It is a QB, Hungarians attacking a Russian force, 3000 pts. Obviously part of the playability or balance is predicated upon mine and my opponents force selection. How do we report that? I appreciate any suggestions from the old-timers around here...
12-13-2007, 12:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2007, 01:04 AM by Mad Russian.)
Here are some of my thoughts on playtesting etiquette...they are by no means all inclusive. Just some things to think about.

As the playtester:

1) Go into the playtest with some kind of delicacy. The scenario that is being played is a labor of no less than hard work and very likely a labor of love for the designer.

2) If you consider the scenario to be grossly unbalanced or have alot of negative comments take them to the designer personally.

3) Once you commit to a playtest you should finish it unless there is evidence that the scenario is greatly flawed. Or if life shows up and makes one of the playtesters ( YOU if you're playing vs the AI) have to stop.

4) When writing up the AAR after the playtest you need to be as objective as you possibly can. Also be as detailed as you can. I never met a designer that thought he ever got too much information.

You want your AAR to lead to discussions with the designer about any and everything you have a question about. I promise you that if you find something that you don't think is quite right others will later as well.

The designer will usually answer your questions. He wants his work to be as good as he can. Playtesting helps that.

5) If you pull out of a playtest let the designer and others know why. If I just started this scenario and you find something that makes it not play out right I may want to stop my playtest on it until the designer fixes that issue.

6) You will develop your own style of playtesting and get a very good understanding of what you like and what you don't like. It's okay to voice your preferences after the scenario is over but don't expect the designer to agree with all of your opinions.

Just be honest. Remember the comments you make, or don't make, will affect how this scenario plays if the designer makes changes or doesn't.

Hope this helps those that haven't done much playtesting in the past. For those that have these are obvious.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

MR
12-13-2007, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2007, 01:09 AM by Mad Russian.)
Here are some of my thoughts on playtesting etiquette...they are by no means all inclusive. Just some things to think about.

As the designer:

1) Don't take whatever a playtester says personally. They are not attacking your work but giving you their opinion. They have taken time away from whatever else they were going to be doing to try to help YOU the designer with your work.

For instance, when I playtest I look at the scenario as mine and make suggestions what I would do if it were mine. I tell everyone that upfront.

2) If you don't want feedback don't ask for it. If you put a scenario in a playtesting area or site you are more than likely going to get feedback. Don't take playtesting and discussions about a scenario personally unless they actually tell you that you're stupid. (I've been told that and at this point I'm thinking they may be right....) It's not the smartest thing in the world to insult your playtesters or try to "One Up" them with why your scenario is the greatest CM scenario in the world. It may be but the guy your berating is the guy you asked to give you his opinion. When he does take it or leave it. Your choice.

3) Do with the suggestions, made to you, whatever you've decided is in the best interest of your scenario. At the end of the day the scenario belongs to YOU. Not the playtester.

4) List all playtesters in the main briefing of your scenario as a sign of respect and thanks for the time they gave you.

5) Have a good time. Alot of very close friendships have developed over the years from playtesting. You may even start your own small playtesting group with those you feel have the same general feeling about your work that you do. That seem to "understand" what you're trying to accomplish.

CM Websites kind of fall under the small group category. They are usually much smaller than The Proving Grounds and yet have enough playtesters that they get a good response and enough interest to provide good feedback.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

MR
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM,
Fredrocker Wrote:Bootie or Whomever...

What is the appropriate etiquette or procedures for using the H2H section for scenario testing.... Over the next few days I will have 3 or 4 new BB and AK scenarios that need testing... I usually use THE PROVING GROUNDS to get scenarios playtested... Is it appropriate to post in both places... etc etc etc.... any guidelines so as I do not upset someone would be appreicated...;)

That is all...

If you value Loyalty, then maybe you should decide to which you want to be loyal to. Dedicating our limited time and energy to one group is pragmatic.
Send this user an email