• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updated Market-Garden '44 ALT art / scenario pack
08-22-2006, 09:55 PM,
RE: Updated Market-Garden '44 ALT art / scenario pack
I forgot that KG Heinke was given a Pioneer Coy, a Recon Inf Coy and 4 more 88s to its At Start set-up. From my research they had more 88s than the stock OOB and the 10 SS sent two inf bns AND those two coys, as well.
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM,
And I added the following

ALLIED STRATEGY OPTIONS

1st Airborne Division
Wofheze = Historical drop 8 miles west of Arnhem.
Deelen = Initial & follow up drops at Deelen Airfield. The airfield was avoided because of reports pf 100+ flak guns defending it. In reality those guns and been moved beforehand.
Arnhem Heist = Initial & follow up drops on both sides of Arnhem road bridge. Supposedly the soft ground south of the bridge would prevent gliders from landing, but the area east was fine except the pilots would have to pass over Deelen airfield to return to England and they feared flak.
Split DZ = Initial drop of gliders at Wolfheze DZ, while paras near Arnhem road bridge; follow up drop east of Arnhem. This is a compromise that drops the paras at the bridge and gliders in the flat fields west.
Velp = Initial & follow up drop east and NE of Arnhem. This option assumes the Allies knew that the Deelen flak had been moved and were not afraid to pass by on the return trip.

82nd Airborne Division
Nijmegen Coup = Initial drop on both sides of Nijmegen bridges, none near Grossbeek, follow up south of Nijmegen. Allied commanders were skittish about German forces coming from the Reichswald so they wanted to secure the high ground first; this option makes the bridges the #1 priority.
Priority Grossbeek = Historical drop which emphasized capturing the high ground and main DZ east of Nijmegen.
Long Green Line = A more spread out initial drop to assure quick capture of all bridges; main DZ for follow up drops south of Nijmegen. This option goes further assuming the Germans are weak and spreads out the 82nd to capture more bridges quicker.

101st Airborne Division
Historical = enough said
Early Eindhoven = 506th Rgt drops south of canal to capture Eindhoven earlier than historical.

50th Lowland Div
Deelen = Reinforcing division lands at Deelen airfield NW of Arnhem.
Grave = Reinforcing division lands at Grave airfield NW of Grave on island.
Son = Reinforcing division lands at airfield NW of Son.

Polish Para Bgd
Deelen = Lands at Deelen airfield.
Elst = Lands in middle of the "Island" between Arnhem & Nijmegen.
Arnhem = Lands east of Arnhem
Grave = Lands NE of Grave.
Driel = Historical drop south of Rhine near destroyed Driel ferry.

6th Airborne Div
Deelen = Reinforcing division lands at Deelen airfield NW of Arnhem.
Road to Berlin = Lands NE of Arnhem near Rheden to support drive from Arnhem bridgehead NE into Northern Germany.
Road to Ruhr = Lands east of Arnhem near Zevenar to support drive from Arnhem bridgehead eastward to Ruhr industrial area.

Allied Supply Head
Adds an explicit supply depot near the selected location

GERMAN STRATEGY OPTIONS

Sturm Engineers
Deelen Fly In = Historically this unit was flown into Deelen airfield at night.
Arnehm Ground Transport = Assuming the Allies have captured Deelen, tis unit would land at a nearby field and be trucked in.

KG Chill
These options allow the Germans flexibility on where they will make their counterattack.
Best = Southern portion of road near Best.
Veghel = Middle portion fo the road near Veghel.
Uden = Upper portion of the road near Uden.

363 VGD
These options bring in the 363 VGD a few days earlier than historically where needed.
Reichswald = The division crosses the Rhine in the Ruhr area east of the map and enters in the Nijmegen area.
Arnhem = The division reinforces the II SS Pz Corps in holding or retaking Arnhem.

506 Tiger Btl
Arnhem = Arrives as it did historically.
Reichswald = Arrives east of Nijmegen to support II FJ Korps.
Venlo = Arrives on south east edge to support XII SS Korps and the defense of the flank along the corridor.

Army Panzers
New units which arrived in October are available earlier (9 PzD, 116 PzD, and 108 PzBgd)
North of Rhine = According to some sources the commander of the II SS Pz Korps was offered both the 9th & 116th Pz Div to retake Arnhem, but he refused and they kept fighting near Aachen. They did take part in the Island fighting of October. This option assumes he accepts the offer and has them arrive earlier along with the 108th PzBgd which was eventually absorbed into the 116th Pz.
South of Rhine = Rather than swing around the Rhine, they go directly from Aachen to the area between Nijmegen & Venraji.

Coastal Reserves
North of Rhine = Late arriving reinforcements for Div Tettau arrive as they did historically.
South of Waal = Late arriving reinforcements for Div Tettau cross ferries west of the map and arrive south of Waal to counterattack the highway.
08-23-2006, 12:17 AM,
Hi Bob,

Thanks for saving my emails! That saves me a lot of re-reading. I had already brought Stimpel's and Didden & Swart's book to my office to check them out in a quiet moment :)
Keep up the good work with the campaigns to Volcano Man and you Bob
08-23-2006, 02:03 AM,
RE:��Updated Market-Garden '44 ALT art / scenario pack
Rev Rico Wrote:IIRC Regarding new units:
-KG Rink was increased by 400 men of the 347 FEB and I/732/712.
-Each Bn of the 59th ID was increased to 450 men and able to breakdown into companies.
-A 300 man SturmPioneer Bn was added to II FJ Korps
-A 5 vehicle Stug III unit was added to II FJ Korps
-A FJ.Werfer Rgt was added to II FJ Korps that included 100 men and 24 NWs.
-KG Henke was added to Nijmegen at start area absorbing the alreading existing Erz Bn and garrison unit but added more men and guns.
-4 JgPz IVs added to 10 SS OOB to arrive in North, 2 added to 9 SS instead of being factored into the JgPz Inf Coy.
-506 Tiger Bn has its inherent AA Btty

Oh yes, I did add in the III/743/719 (330 men, 12 guns) to enter as reinforcements behind the 6 FJR. I made them part of the ad-hoc KG Sievers which covered the 6 FJR's right flank.

Huib, your e-mails were filled with gems of information; I certainly wasn't going to lose them!!! :-)

-Bob
08-23-2006, 02:33 AM,
One way to factor in the replacement panzers for th SS Pz Div is to raise the upper strength limit for the small Pz units they do start with to allow, over time, them to gain replacements above what they started with. I thought about this for a while.
Send this user an email
08-23-2006, 02:49 AM,
08-23-2006, 10:19 PM,
I think the biggest problem with MG is that the Allies can wipe the Germans on the Flanks out and then advance. The German can withdraw off map to save losses. I created little pockets of safe areas using AT ditches (all blown) and a house rule that Germans in this area can only be bombarded and the allies can not cross this line. I know its artificial but it means that the Germans have a force in being and the allies can not all wander up to the Rhine once they have wiped out the Germans.

I can send the files if anyone wants.

Mike
08-23-2006, 10:45 PM,