• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern Campaigns Question
08-17-2006, 05:10 AM,
Modern Campaigns Question

I was wondering why the 82nd Airborne which i was a member of in the early 80s that if the shit hit the fan we were told would go over to Germany but yet in the games None of the units 18th Airborne Corps I.E( 82nd Abn.'101st Abn and 24th Mech are not used as reinforcements in this game because i know we would be in Germany faster than any of the heavy mech or Armoured Divs. that where stationed in the US and If they are not used IN FG85 and Ngp85 and K85 just where in the heck would they be used at Because the Marines Had the Med and Norway as thier area of responsiblity
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2006, 06:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2006, 06:31 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Modern Campaigns Question
Send this user an email
08-17-2006, 08:16 AM,
Send this user an email
08-17-2006, 01:11 PM,
A few points come to mind when talking about the deployment of the 82nd Airborne Division.

First, in the event of WWIII, I believe that it is most likely that the division would end up in the Middle East trying to protect our interests there. When I was with the 3d ACR ('80-'84) in the deserts of Texas and New Mexico, the 82nd actually conducted exercises with the 3d acting as the OPFOR. They were trying to evaluate their effectiveness against armor in the desert.:boom3:

The second point is more of a game design issue. Players would expect the 82nd to be used in its airborne role. How does a game designer anticipate the air deployment of the division X turns into the game; as it is unlikely that they would be deployed on the opening turn of a campaign scenario? Even if he uses the STRATEGIC OPTIONS capabilities trying to incorporate every possible situation, how does a player chose the option at Y point in the game, when it would be more appropriate at Z point? Every option would have to be available every turn for execution X turns in advance. While that would be the ultimate, it sure would not be fun to design. And, I do not know if it is even possible to design with the STRATEGIC OPTIONS function.

Finally, in the event of WWIII, would the strategic planners be more concerned about deploying an airborne division to Europe or getting the soldiers of the four plus REFORGER armored/mechanized divisions airlifted first? :conf: Remember NATO has limited airlift capability even mobilizing the civilian airliners that are planned for the emergency deployment of forces. It was estimated that it would take a full week to ten days before the first REFORGER division could be deployed. Which is very interesting in considering that the equipment is pre-positioned in Germany and the Netherlands and all that would be needed is the movement of the soldiers to that equipment and a day to prepare it. :chin:

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
08-18-2006, 09:51 PM,
08-19-2006, 12:15 AM,
I was in Germany slightly earlier than Tony ('81 - '84) & also never saw any unit from the 82nd Abn participate. I seem to recall reading somewhere what the proposed war plans were for the 82nd. I'll have to look around my stuff but I think it likely that they we're planned for deployment in the ME.
08-19-2006, 11:41 AM,
I do believe that a battalion of the 82nd participated in REFORGER '83. I recall hearing something to the effect that it flew directly from South Carolina and made a jump during the exercise in Germany. I think it was to prove that the 82nd could make a long flight and jump directly into combat. Although, I think if it ever happened, the results would be something akin to this Shark2.

Regards,
CptCav
Edmund Burke (1729-1797): "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ronald Reagan: “Détente: isn’t that what a farmer has with his turkey until Thanksgiving Day?”
08-19-2006, 01:32 PM,
I have to agree with CptCav. I was with the 101st 79-82 and we were all about three things 1) The Middle East 2) the Middle East. and 3) the Middle East. The entire RDF was oriented toward the Middle East in those days, particularly Iran (go figure). There were some rumblings about Central America, but only once or twice. I can tell you, there was lots of thinking going on about the Persian Gulf area between 79-82. IMO if things went south in Europe, why land a light division in Germany and get it cut to pieces in about an hour and a half when it could act as a strategic reserve to protect the oil lines.

Anyway, all speculation now. Thank God we didnt have to go.