• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

M41, Patience is the key
08-14-2006, 07:41 AM,
M41, Patience is the key
After 48 turns as the Axis player in the M41 No Crete Max German effort scenario, I have found that a good strategy is to be patient and not try to do too much too soon. Although it is possible to land the 7th Flieger Division on turn one, I decided to wait until my land forces were in position to launch a ground attack to support their landing. This took two full days. But when, I dropped the division behind Tula, I caught my opponent by surprise. And, with the PzAOK 2 up and ready to make a strong push to the East of Tula, a link up with the 7th Flieger was achieved relatively easily. Then, with the Russians occupied with my advance to the east of Tula, I crossed over the Upa River to the West of Tula, and enveloped the 50th Army. Most of this was done in bad weather, including a storm, and forward progress was slow going. Casualties were high for both sides. But becuase the 50th Army was basically destroyed, the Germans came out on top. Now, with Tula captured, and the Russian southern flank crushed, the Russians have apparantly decided to fall back to the North, most likely behind the Oka River, with PzAOK 2 in pursuit.
Now besides this action, both sides have punched and counter punched at several points along the line to the North, with the most heated action happening around Kalinin. At this point, it appears the Russians will get the better of me there and will be able to capture the city. Temperarily washing out some of the gains made at Tula. However I still hold a substantial lead and in a 400 turn scenario, I expect real estate is going to change hands many times.
My impression of M41, is that a player who is paitient, plans well coordinated attacks and is able to wait for reinforcements to make the long slow journey to the front before making his move, will be rewarded.
Of course, we all know that time is against the Axis player, but it was my take from the begining, that pushing tired and depleted units to fast, would be disasterous. So far, things are working out well for me. I'm wondering if others have found the opposite to also be true?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2006, 08:47 AM,
RE: M41, Patience is the key
Yep, I think I have to agree with your analysis Grrr. I'm playing the same scenario and have had some bad weather (storms and frozen) that I thought was going to be a huge problem for me (axis). During the storm turns I decided to rest and as a result a lot of key units rest and rebuilt, some kind of rapidly (Is the replacement rate too high for the axis?). During frozen turns I decided to continue to attack and it turned out that frozen, even with the 20% penalty is good for the axis in my view. With the streams freezing, the added mobility this provides is an advantage for the German army. At turn 88 (~Nov 25) and at the gates of Moscow and things look pretty good even with a chance of real bad weather rolling in for several days.

Fury
08-14-2006, 03:25 PM,
I have to agree with the above comments. In shorter scenarios, (two days or less) resting the troops is not really a factor. In the long campaign games, it can make a great difference. As the attacker, one must remember to have a reserve, which can take over the attack "passing through" a worn division which can then get some needed rest and re-fit. Spreading your units across the front with no reserve to relieve the worn down units, is a sure way to eventually have a breakdown as the attacker or a game deciding break through if your defensing. Even a regiment held back in a key sector can buy some time to bring over more substantial reinforcements.

Grrrr points out an often overlooked feature. As commander, the player can withhold reinforcements off board. Say your opponent has driven past the point where your reinforcements come in. If you delay their entrance, you can force your opponent to slow his drive to cover his rear. This is far better than bringing those boys on the map to get cut off and slaughtered. Some players may forget and leave you with an opportunity or as the front moves on, weaken the guard now deep in their rear so you can bring on the reinforcements in a advantageous way. If this move can be co-ordinated with your own counter attack, you may throw the enemy off balance all together.

Some reinforcement schedules bring on troops slowly in small groups at the same point. Allowing this build off board, then bringing them in en mass can have different results.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-16-2006, 07:17 AM,
Playing the hisoirical scenario, the Germans really dont' have a chance.
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM,
I have only played M41, the historical campaign as the Soviets. My German opponent launched immediate all-out attacks all along the front, and in some places took horrendous casualties. The Soviets also took heavy losses, but were able to prevent complete breakthroughs. By around turn 70, the Soviets in the north had retaken Kalinin and crushed the Germans (my opponent had depleted that area to throw forces east) althought Tula was soon to be surrounded. At that point my opponent completely disappeared and stopped responding to emails. I hope it wasn't anything RL bad that had happened to him. But I just assumed he knew he was losing so he disappeared.

After that, despite some time back having an invitation for a German opponent for the M41 campaign on the boards for about three weeks, I have not been able to find anyone willing to play the Germans. I think people realize it is a hard slog for the Germans.
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM,
I'm playing the German, about turn 70, Kalinin has fallen and that sector is a bit hairy, to say the least. Kalinin is surely a sucker's objective (for the German, that is). Try to keep it, you'll get ground into dust. I didn't try hard, and I'm still getting ground up.

It _is_ a tough grind for the German. I'm going to hang to the end; I had my fun in Vyazma (in which I ran wild as the German). As I lose units my turns will only get easier. :-)
08-16-2006, 04:13 PM,
I think the deal with the above comment of the frozen weather actually helping the axis, well that depends on your Russian opponent. What should be happening is that during frozen conditions the Russians are not penalized at all so this is the point in which the Russian player should be launching counter attacks, expecially against armored formations. By not doing this the Russian is not taking full advantage of the situation.

It is kind of like in Modern Campaigns series, the US / NATO player benefits more by attacking at night. By attacking in the day time the US player is making the same mistake.
Send this user an email
08-16-2006, 11:01 PM,
As Fury's opponent in Moscow, I did everything I could during the frozen weather. But the Soviets don't have huge masses of troops to counterattack with early on, although they are fairly strong. Can't counterattack with disrupted units, and as Fury said he was able to use the better motorized movement ability to drive around open flanks and through holes to isolate numerous units and then slowly, and at fairly high cost, crush the units.

It hasn't been bloodless for him, losses are less than 2 to 1 in the favor of the Germans, but it has resulted in most of the central frontline Soviet forces destroyed. As has been said, Kalinin doesn't stand much of a chance of holding for the Germans, but otherwise the Soviets will probably be slowly crushed if they stand to fight.

As Soviet, I would recommend a quicker retreat and shift of forces to Moscow, more so than what I did, only trying to stand and fight during the frozen weather. Otherwise, if the Germans concentrate forces on small portions of the line as Fury did, they will break through and start cutting off large groups of Soviets.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
08-17-2006, 03:07 AM,
Fair enough, I did not mean to pick on his opponent in the post. As long as you are aware of the fact that the Russians are not effected by frozen conditions and you do what you can during this time then you are good. :)

I think part of the challenge as the Russian is to look ahead at the weather forcast and plan around it. Also, the challenge is husbanding a counter attack force for this moment.

Send this user an email
08-17-2006, 03:40 AM,
[Image: exercise.png]