• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How does this compare...
08-13-2006, 10:55 PM,
How does this compare...
Guys,

Been looking at these games off and on for a year or so but haven't jumped in the pool yet, but am thinking about it again. Am wondering..when I look at the 2D ads for this game I think of Avalon Hill and SL and ASL... how does the game compare to Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader? (meaning the board games, not the bastardized attempt by Hasbro for pc.)
"I'll wrestle anybody in the crowd!"

Pappy Boyington
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2006, 04:45 AM,
RE: How does this compare...
While I am not an ASL'er, my understanding is that they are similar, but ASL is much more complex. Many things are abstracted in the SB games which are meticulously handled in the ASL rules. Armor is also not as central and detailed as the ASL system.

For me this is good, because if I wanted to handle every minute detail I'd play a board game.
08-15-2006, 04:53 AM,
RE:��How does this compare...
rahamy Wrote:While I am not an ASL'er, my understanding is that they are similar, but ASL is much more complex. Many things are abstracted in the SB games which are meticulously handled in the ASL rules. Armor is also not as central and detailed as the ASL system.

For me this is good, because if I wanted to handle every minute detail I'd play a board game.

That's kind of what I was wondering about; complexity. I always liked SL better than ASL-simpler and still gets the point across..The abstractions were great IMO.

I'm following the "favorites" thread...will use that to pick a title for purchase.
"I'll wrestle anybody in the crowd!"

Pappy Boyington
08-15-2006, 05:30 AM,
I'd go with the theatre that interests you most, really, when picking the first game you play. They've all got decent stock scenarios (Korea is probably one of the best right out of the box), but lots of custom scenarios exist for all. You'll be pretty set no matter which game you buy.....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-15-2006, 05:36 AM,
And all the engines are pretty much the same, regardless of what order they were released in, due to the updates.
08-15-2006, 06:45 AM,
I bought Korea several months back & thoroughly enjoy it. It has some of the best documentation (designer's notes) in a game that I've ever seen - practically everything that you'd ever want to know about the Korean War. With over 70 stock scenarios to choose from you're rather spoiled for choice. Plus you can pick up some pretty interesting custom scenarios here:
http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/squadbattles/
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe