• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

a few newbie PzC questions
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2006, 01:44 PM by PenCapChew.)
a few newbie PzC questions
Hello. I have been toying around with Moscow 41 and Stalingrad 42 since I owned them. I am still fairly new to the series, and I'd like to know some general strategies on attacking/defense.

1. Travel Mode- Is it better to use this mode to get units to the front(in a lot of scenarios units tend to be already in T-mode). I know you take more casualties in T-mode...I find myself just wanting to move units in regular movment mode (albeit slower). So, do you just use T mode to just move units far behind the front closer to action?

2. Recon/Tank units: This is similar to the first question.....when should these units be in travel mode? It's tempting to put them in T-mode once you break enemy lines but that makes them more vulnerable to enemy attacks. I try to drive deep behind enemy lines with them but they tend to get LOW on ammo messages.

3. General attacking: With armour, do you use firing mode on enemy inf? Assualting isn't the best recorse due the combined arms penalty as inf is needed to supplement that attack. I am trying to find the best use for armor.

Any help with these questions is appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2006, 04:44 PM,
RE: a few newbie PzC questions
PenCapChew Wrote:1. Travel Mode- Is it better to use this mode to get units to the front(in a lot of scenarios units tend to be already in T-mode). I know you take more casualties in T-mode...I find myself just wanting to move units in regular movment mode (albeit slower). So, do you just use T mode to just move units far behind the front closer to action?

2. Recon/Tank units: This is similar to the first question.....when should these units be in travel mode? It's tempting to put them in T-mode once you break enemy lines but that makes them more vulnerable to enemy attacks. I try to drive deep behind enemy lines with them but they tend to get LOW on ammo messages.

3. General attacking: With armour, do you use firing mode on enemy inf? Assualting isn't the best recorse due the combined arms penalty as inf is needed to supplement that attack. I am trying to find the best use for armor.

A quick reply and some general guidelines:

1. T mode is very useful to travel large distances, especially on roads and trails. In the campaign games of M41 and St42 you aren't going to get anywhere without using T mode as the distances are so huge. Don't use it if you think you are going to run into enemy troops as you will be hit hard. Also, if enemy troops are around try to convert back to deployed mode at the end of your move in case they find you during their turn.

Finally, air indiction attacks cause more damage while troops are in travel mode. If the enemy has massive air superiority it maybe best to just use T-mode at night.

Generally, in your rear lines T-mode is fine, during a break through T-mode is weighed up as distance vs chance of ambush by enemy units.

2. Armoured recon units move great distances even without travel mode. They also generally have enough movement points to be able run away when meeting an enemy. Use them to scout ahead to allow slower units to move in T-mode through contested terrain in relative safety. This was one of there job in RL, use them the same way.

3. Armour really needs to be mixed with infantry for combat. Assaulting with armour on its own is a risky business and as a general guideline don't, at least untill you become more experienced. Generally use armour to exploit holes in the enemy lines, punching through and cutting of axes of retreat, surrounding the enemy. Even pushing an entire armoured division through and leave the other guy standing. In attacking, use them to support and stiffen infantry and in assaults, mixed with infantry in open type terrains, they are very powerful. Look at the assault value of the units.

08-14-2006, 03:51 PM,
Actually, armor can be useful in assaults. I would not recommend armor alone against an enemy in covered terrain, (wood, villages etc.), but in clear terrain an armored assault can be devastating to the defender.

The key is to "soften up" the defender. Disrupt the defender with direct fire and artillery/air attacks. Assault him once with infantry. Then move up your armor and assault him again. You may find this second assault breaks the enemy leaving no ZOC and allowing your armor and some infantry a few extra hexes gain to consolidate the breach with their remaining MP.

This tactic has to be weighed against the situation. Can you afford the extra fatigue your armor will get in the assault? Will the breach created be worth the fatigue or disruption of some armored units? Do you have enough follow on units for the next turn to carry the fight to the enemy's rear so you do not have to depend on the assaulting armor the next turn?

Try this tactic out in a game you set up where you can see both sides. The second armored assault will add far more fatigue points to the defender than a second infantry assault will. The second assault by armor is only possible due to their greater MP. In games like MG44 this tactic is used by the Allies to punch XXX Corps up the road to the AB "carpet". Players who are too conservative with the XXX corps armor can find the Germans in strong positions munching on the AB, esp the Red Devils at Arnhem.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-15-2006, 04:14 AM,
Thank you for the advice guys. In some scenarios (such as the intro scenario "frozen offensive"), it seems waiting for artillery/inf fire to disrupt units prior to assaulting wastes valuable time. The object is to head east like crazy to capture the bridge. I am finding this game definately challenging and stimuating.
08-15-2006, 01:05 PM,
When to use your armor to make an assualt? Well that depends. As already answered, it's always a good idea to soften up the target unit with indirect fire and air support and wait for the target unit to disrupt before assualting. Also, It's rarely a good idea to assualt with your armor against enemy infantry holding good defenseable ground such as towns and woods and such. I prefer to use my armor as direct fire support and let my infantry do the assaulting in these situations. Armor units are very effective when their fatigue is in the green. But, if you assualt every enemy unit you come in contact with, you'll find that the unit will become so fatigued and depleted, that it will have to be pulled off the line for an extended period of time. I prefer to minimize the times I assualt with my armor. Either I pick easy targets to overrun, or I make sure that the assualt is needed to achieve a specific objective that if captured will put the enemy at a severe disadvantage. for example, a key intersection that opens the way for the rest of the division to move freely into the enemy's rear or around their flank. In short, be judicious when assaulting with your armor. Over using them, will diminish their effectiveness, and eventually bring your armored thrust to a grinding halt.
Send this user an email
08-15-2006, 11:59 PM,
And regarding Travel mode: if you're at the front, and you are running, say, PanzerGrenadiers in travel mode to keep up with Panzers in a breakthrough, you might want to "Save Movement Costs", which command will make sure you have enough to switch to deployed mode. Wish that one had a hotkey. Then you won't have troops in the combat zone in travel mode.