• Downloads

08-30-2006, 02:17 AM,
RE:��Offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2006, 02:35 AM,
RE: Offline
It was just getting interesting Pyros!

As a Brit, I wouldn't be taking part in this game as I am too overstretched playing the Iraq and Afghanistan scenarios (for realism I have no ammo units, and can only be transported around the map in Czech Mi 17's).

Alex
brm_3k

08-30-2006, 03:47 AM,
Thexder, that was downright brilliant! And Grummi, Did'nt I see you riding with the Hyksos?
08-30-2006, 05:31 AM,
"Hi Grumbler,

Please try to avoid political discussions on this board (since it is a gaming forum), because some people might get offended.

cheers,
Pyros"

I try too, It's just that EVERYTHING is political when you live in a socity based on consenual government. Sometimes I slip over that line that I can't see because it exists only in others minds. I was just floating a trial balloon to see if there was an interest in very small, topical battles.
I was thinking we could work off the headlines, sort of. Warfare itself is an act of politics, so how can one model war without modeling politics? That would be like a fish swimming without the water or a bird flying without the air.
For future knowledge, just what part of my monolog did you find political?:conf:
If this discussion is what you consider political, I am active on half a dozen forum and several dozen blogs. If you wish we can discuss politics on one of those venues.
After re-reading my post several times the only thing that jumped out at me was the UN comment. That comment was a response to another poster's comment.

"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
08-30-2006, 07:18 AM,
Grumbler Wrote:"Hi Grumbler,

Please try to avoid political discussions on this board (since it is a gaming forum), because some people might get offended.

cheers,
Pyros"

I try too, It's just that EVERYTHING is political

I somewhat agree with Grummy on this one. It's extremely difficult to divide what's political and what is not - especially in contemporary issues like this. Playing wargames pretty much every time gets someone offended. Think of a Russian soldier that fought in Stalingrad. What would he think of guys massacring Soviet soldiers playing with the Germans? Maybe he would just laugh in disbelief and comment on how "realistic" this thing is. But there's a real chance he'd get very upset. So playing wargames, especially battles that are related to real ones, is playing with fire in many ways.

Everything is political, we do politics in grocery store as well as playing PBEM games. Everything we do has something to do with power and on how we interact with other people. And that's politics. Playing these games is a political statement - some say it's immoral. We (may) don't think so as we may have different view on what's moral. And what's moral and immoral is in the core of politics.

I'm very much for keeping this discussion board as "unpolitical" as it's practical. I'd keep party-politics etc. out of this as well as every kind of nationalistic statements. This topic may have something to do with the latter.

The issue is the contemporary situation in Lebanon. Grumbler is thinking of generating some kind of battles in which the UN forces from various countries would with alongside with the Hizbollah or Israel or Iran or Syria or whoever. What I wanted to say was that it's very unlikely that such fighting would happen in real life. Thus generating the battles wouldn't be realistic (could be interesting and fun though!). This view is, of course, very political. It also reflects how difficult it's to separate politics from wargaming. Wargaming on contemporary crises is playing with dynamite! But also very interesting:smoke:.

Is this issue too political for these boards? This is something that I leave for the moderators to decide. They have the power to choose and I obey their decision as it's part of the deal here.

Grumbler Wrote:After re-reading my post several times the only thing that jumped out at me was the UN comment. That comment was a response to another poster's comment.

Yes, I think so too. Saying that the Israelis would have the right to kill the UN peacekeepers in situation you described is pretty harsh. Especially after the Israelis already killed four UN observers with PRECISION bomb to a bunker that had been there for 20 years and whose occupants were in constant radio connection with the Israelis saying that they're being shelled. It doesn't matter what were the nationalities of the peacekeepers. The important thing is that it happened and it shouldn't have:(.

And this is closely linked at the initial topic. If the two fighting sides don't respect the UN and international rules, there may be chance that there really will be some fighting between the UN peacekeepers and the two armies thus making Grumblers scenario more realistic.

Like I said, very difficult to get rid of politics in this one:conf:
So let's be careful in what we say and respect the wishes of the moderators,
Cheers cheers,
And peace:whis:,
Jukka
08-30-2006, 07:45 AM,
I agree, and apologize for any hard feelings. Thexder, I will stop after saying that we will have to agree to disagree on this issue. I have my reasons and will be happy to discus them with you on another forum.
Besides I think both you and Pyros are greek and I think I'm going to be manipulated into taking at least 4 hours of Greek next semester. I have to take Latin this semester and my proctor ( that isn't what they are called nowdays, but I'm old and still thinnk of them that way.) thinks I can handle taking Greeek and Latin at the same time. I don't agree, but I my choices seem to be limited.
Meanwhile, the Bear Pit is a pretty good Forum. It's operated (moderated) by a Tia who claims to be a homosexual. Considering the penality for homosexuality in Tialand is hanging, he is one brave and bold dude. Or an outragous liar. Lots of bright people, interesting conversations and not much in the way of restrictions.

http://www.bearpit.net/

I post there under the nome de` web sea of red.
-Jessica Simpson
08-30-2006, 08:54 AM,
Grumbler Wrote:I agree, and apologize for any hard feelings. Thexder, I will stop after saying that we will have to agree to disagree on this issue. I have my reasons and will be happy to discus them with you on another forum.
Besides I think both you and Pyros are greek and I think I'm going to be manipulated into taking at least 4 hours of Greek next semester.

No hard feelings:cool2:.

As for me being a Greek, not quite close - I'm a Finn. You can of course try your nerves and take Finnish lessons as well:whis:.

Cheers,
Jukka
08-30-2006, 10:30 AM,
Thanks, but I'll passEek I wouldn't mine learning Swedish if I could get the Bikini Team to give me my lessonsBig Grin
All them little o's on top of the letters remind me of portholes and make me seasick.
I don't think this Lebanon thingie was one of my better ideas. I think I will switch to bottled beverages in the future. It's the aluminum reacting with the synapses. That is why Americans are more inovative then Europeans. We drink our beer from aluminum cans. You should try it yourself. Get a couple of 6-packs in cans and drink them and see if it doesn't give you ideas. Not sure if it works with Finlandia.
DISCLAIMER; This is not a political arguement over aluminum vs glass. I am making no claims regarding the quality of the ideas involved.
-Jessica Simpson
08-30-2006, 07:13 PM,
08-30-2006, 07:49 PM,
RE:��Offline