• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridges in Stalingrad Campaign
08-04-2006, 12:43 AM,
Bridges in Stalingrad Campaign
The automatic bridge blowing feature in Stalingrad does not seem to work well. When I first began playing the campaign game as German, I figured the auto bridge demolition was in place to insure that certain bridges would still be availible for the Russians in order to make the game playable. The Germans have tons of engineers in the rear areas, and it made sense.

However, after getting deeper into the game, it does not work so well. Once a Soviet unit reaches a bride, and the auto fails, the Germans can not then bring up and engineer a destroy the bridge. Why? There are many smaller bridges that failed to auto destroy, but the Germans can not then have engineers destroy them, and it makes little sense.

Anyone else seen this issue yet? The auto feature in M44 worked well I thought, but here its annoying and unrealistic.
"When in doubt, lash out."
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2006, 01:01 AM,
RE: Bridges in Stalingrad Campaign
It is part of the system. There is a probability (determined in the PDT file) that a bridge will blow up and when you have that feature ON your engineers loose their ability to blow up bridge.

Apparently you can't have both at the same time in a scenario.
Send this user an email
08-04-2006, 01:16 AM,
Well, it seems that once the auto has failed, then engineers should be able to try and blow it up.
08-04-2006, 01:18 AM,
Something is wrong...Just tried an experiment and when a large bridge does blow up, I am seeing the program abort to the desktop(addr=456a05 (exceprtion code =c0000005)). Anyone else seeing this? I'll get together a repro for Glenn.

Fury
08-04-2006, 01:58 AM,
RE:��Bridges in Stalingrad Campaign
[Image: exercise.png]
08-04-2006, 02:12 AM,
Rick -- I sent you the details....Dave
08-04-2006, 02:18 AM,
Hi Rick:
As I said, I understand the need to allow the Soviets to get across the major waterways, but some of the smaller bridges should be able to be blown. I would suggest that not all of the bridges need to be wired, that way the important bridges will be there for the Soviets, but the smaller ones are able to be destroyed to help the pocket last.
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM,
Scar,

I understand your point. There is another corner to consider here. If the bridges were set as you suggest, then the Germans could mass their defense on only those bridges along the river. I think that would make it much easier for the Germans to halt the Soviet drive to form a pocket. Not historical at all.

It appears that the use of wired bridges in the PzC series is proportional to the number of engineers; exception K42. The K42 game was the third game released. The Germans have so many engineers, it is a simple matter for them to run away against the Soviet offensive in the north, cross the main river and blow all the bridges.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp