• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Member polls and DEBATES
08-03-2006, 06:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2006, 06:11 AM by Walkure.)
Member polls and DEBATES
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2006, 06:52 AM,
RE: Member polls and DEBATES
Well its funny you should say that. i voted on my first one only the other day.

the mustang got my vote. (after it was upgraded with the merlin obviously.)

the laminar wing swung it for me.
08-03-2006, 07:13 AM,
Maybe some voted for their Favorite fighter instead of the Best fighter.
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM,
Strictly my point of view, The 'Stang was one of the best overall fighters in Europe. Can't pick a fight on that...

My choice, however is the FW190/Ta152 series, the high speed and high altitude versions of the FW190d Modded in the late war period. Capable of obtaining speeds in excess of 470 MPH and reaching an altitude of 41000 feet.. Packing 2 20mm and 1 30mm cannon, they certainly would have been a powerful bomber killing adversary had they been produced in numbers.

Get debating!
Lets hear your pros and cons of your favorite or the Best Fighter
:)

08-03-2006, 10:08 AM,
I was caught between the FW-190 and the Mustang, but gave the Mustang points for numbers and staying power after the war.

My next slot would probably be the later model Yaks (Yak-9U).

P-38s are not just a classic European Theater fighter for me, and P-47s were not exactly a dogfighter. Best fighter-bomber of the ET, maybe.

ME-109, early war maybe. By the end of the war, certainly not the best. I think similar for the Spitfire.

Hurricane, MiGs, LaGGs, Macchi C series, not really.

Reggiane, not even close.

08-03-2006, 10:19 AM,
I think we need some clarification on what is meant by "best". Are we talking here the best plane to be flying if you got into a dogfight or plane that made the best contribution to its nation's war effort? For example, as Randy points out the FW190/TA152 series probaly had the best overall performance as well as devestating firepower. However the P-51, whilst maybe slightly inferior in performance, could fly all the way to Berlin and back and thus was instrumental in the destruction of the Luftwaffe.

Also, just curious why the Me262 wasn't on the list? I reckon some people might consider this a more important aircaft than the Macchi (M) C series :laughing:
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM,
I considered putting the jet in the list, but wanted to give the Italians a chance at some stage time :)
The pair of them actually were decent fighters. Macchi's in the early desert war could rip the P40s and Hurricanes up and the late war Reggiane was not a slacker with speeds in the 390s and packing 3 20mm cannons and 2 MGs.

The 262 jets were the fastest.. but not the best :)
limited ammo, limited fuel, easy to kill on takeoff and landings, deadly to their own pilots on landings, etc...