• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A little trivia... anyone.
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM,
A little trivia... anyone.
:conf:Name the American baseball player who spied for the U.S. while on a visit to Japan in 1934 as part of a U.S. basball team?

:conf:Who was the famous British actor that was killed when the Germans shot down a commercial airliner that they thought Winston Churchill was aboard?

:conf:Name the ONLY Rhine crossing that had not been destroyed by March 7, 1945? How many days after this date did it collapse on it's own? Some 400 troops were on it at the time of collapse, from what country did these troops come from?
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM,
RE: A little trivia... anyone.
1) Moe Berg, catcher. Spoke 14 languages and couldn't hit in any of them. He was later a regular panalist on the popular trivia based radio show Information Please. (As a follow up question, what famous air raid was planned using the photographs he took from his hotel's roof?)

2) Leslie Howard?

3) The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen. It collapsed 10 days later. There were U.S. troops on the bridge at the time of it's collapse, which resulted in the deaths of 28 of them.
07-29-2006, 05:10 AM,
RE: A little trivia... anyone.
Yes it was Morris Berg, he was in Japan with both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig as well as others, but only he had the official OK from then Secretary of State Cordell Hull.
Yes it was Leslie Howard, he played Ashley Wilkes in Gone with the Wind and I think he won an Oscar as well, maybe not, but I know that he was nominated for an Oscar a few times.
And yes it was the Ludendorff railway bridge that collapsed as the U.S. 1st Army were making it's way across.
We are still looking for the famous air raid that was planned using Mr. Berg's pictures.

I found some old high school text books from the early 50's and some others on WW2 again from the early 50's and have been going through them, interesting stuff from what they are teaching today. I'll see if I can find anything a little tougher to answer.