• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Charlie Upham - VC & Bar
07-22-2006, 05:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM by falco.)
Off Topic  Charlie Upham - VC & Bar
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2006, 06:59 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Charlie Upham
Good post Falco !.

If you all want more info about the medal go here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross

and for Charles Upham VC & Bar go here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Upham

and if you do look at the whole site, you will some pictures of Victoria Crosses that I took during a visit to the Imperial War Museum in London.
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
07-22-2006, 08:06 PM,
RE: Charlie Upham
As a footnote to the above: There has also been controversy recently about Upham's surviving family members offering the VC and bar for sale. Obviously there has been a lot of criticisim about the move in New Zealand, particularly from surviving war veterans. The NZ government is currently being pressured to buy the medals as historical assets. But the one big stumbling block is the price....apparently overseas dealers are prepared to pay up to $(NZ)1.5 million for both awards!

- falco
07-23-2006, 08:43 PM,
RE:��Charlie Upham

and if you do look at the whole site, you will some pictures of Victoria Crosses that I took during a visit to the Imperial War Museum in London.

Sorry Antoni....try as I may I couldnt find those pictures of the VCs you mentioned. Did you change the link or something??

- falco.
07-23-2006, 08:43 PM,
RE:��Charlie Upham

Sorry Antoni....try as I may I couldnt find those pictures of the VCs you mentioned. Did you change the link or something??

- falco.
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM,
RE: Charlie Upham - VC & Bar
The links worked for me !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
07-23-2006, 09:53 PM,
No mate, I meant that I couldnt find those pics that you said YOU took, that was all. The link itself works fine.

- falco.
07-23-2006, 10:04 PM,
If you look at the pictures of the medals, I am named as the contributor !

For example if you look at the page about Noel Chavasse
07-24-2006, 10:19 AM,
Ahh....now I see 'em. Thats cool! I would love to visit the Imperial War museum some time. Must be so facinating.

The Korean National War Memorial museum here in Seoul is well worth a look around. I've been through it twice now. Lots of artifacts from the Korean war including several T34s and Shermans and some Chinese stuff too.

- falco. Big Grin
07-24-2006, 09:22 PM,
Looking forward to that movie.

Australia's last privately owned Victoria Cross medal awarded at Gallipoli has sold at auction tonight in Sydney for a world record $1 million.

The medal, awarded posthumously to New Zealand-born Australian soldier Captain Alfred Shout, was sold by his grandson, 67-year-old Graham Thomas.

"I can confirm the buyer is a prominent Australian who is going to work with the RSL to make sure the medals go on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra."

Capt Shout was mortally wounded when the last of three grenades he ignited blew up in his face.

He was the most highly decorated Australian soldier to serve during the Battle of Gallipoli in 1915, being awarded the Military Cross during the landing at Anzac Cove in April, and then the Victoria Cross for his actions in the Battle of Lone Pine in August that year.

Capt Shout's collection of medals also included the Military Cross (GVR) for the landing at Gallipoli, Star 1914-15, British War Medal 1914-18, Victory Medal 1914-19, and Queen's South Africa medal and King's South Africa medal, awarded for his service in the Boer War earlier that century.