• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TOAW3 - Scenario Recommendations?
07-20-2006, 09:54 AM,
RE: TOAW3 - Scenario Recommendations?
It sounds like you're doing fine, hang in there!

Actually France 40, altho one of the smaller scenarios, does have a huge number of units packed into a small space, which puts a lot of pressure on the retreat routines. Generally, retreating units will head toward their own lines; occasionally, a unit on tactical or local reserve will jump into the fray, and it looks like a retreating unit is "returning", actually it's a frest unit filling the gap.

Retreats are costly, and even if a unit retreats through a zoc, the adjacent enemy units are taking free shots at it, so it's usually routed or reorganizing next turn. ..altho from your side, the unit looks "normal", ie, only the owing player can see its routed or reorganizing status.

Yes, you have to completely surround a unit to get it to surrender, altho sometimes they will evaporate without being surrounded. To surround, you can split some units into 2 or 3 sub-units, to help fill those gaps. Also, if there's impassable terrain, like a major river, they can't retreat through that, unless they contain units with major fording ability, or unless there's a blown bridge there, and they have some engineer units.

On the combat phases per turn, you don't totally control that, because some battles take longer than advertised in the combat planner, usually because the wiley defender has put them on "ignore losses", or they're dug in. If your units are on "ignore losses", it will also drag out the round. Most French units in France 40 are dug in, so you're combat phases are taking longer; in some scenarios, it's lots easier to get more combat phases per turn.
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2006, 07:56 PM,
Thumbs_Up  Thanks for the comments
Makes more sense now. :)
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM,
Status Report T13
It's sure been a while since I reported on this! The game has moved quickly, thanks to the incredible response time of Antoni (sometimes he returns the file within 15 minutes) ... and also quickly in scenario terms. A breakthrough by my armoured forces around Sedan has rapidly expanded into the open country beyond. The armies are now fanning out west and south, Paris has fallen to a direct armoured push, several pockets of French forces have surrendered, and an advance on the Swiss frontier has trapped all French troops in the Alsace and Lorraine. This pocket is now being reduced (slowly) while we are also pushing deeper into the interior of France.

Enemy resistance is still heavy in Belgium where the front is not moving much, however, on the extreme right Dunkirk has fallen and the BEF has withdrawn. Vexingly, some Belgians are still fighting, although they were supposed to demobilize after the fall of Bruxelles. Eek

Anyway, a fast-moving fun game for me ... not sure it's much fun for Antoni though. :rolleyes:
08-10-2006, 04:07 AM,
Thanks for the kind words DS !.

I always play for fun and not the points !.

So if anyone else wants a fight, I`m free !.
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2006, 02:31 PM by Antoni Chmielowski .)
Here is a snapshot from my game with Heldenkaiser.

As you can see, the end is nigh !

Attached Files
.jpg   GCS0019.jpg (Size: 319.07 KB / Downloads: 22)
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West