• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New to TOAW ...
07-14-2006, 06:20 PM,
New to TOAW ...
(... but experienced wargamer) - what should I do to get started? :rolleyes:
1) Read the entire manual (and come back in three weeks ... Eek ) ?
2) Play all the tutorials?
3) Start a PBEM with another newbie?
4) Let myself get thrashed by a hopefully helpful veteran player?
5) All of the above? :smoke:

Thanks for any tips anyone can provide. :)

Also, I can't add TOAW3 to my profile? :conf:
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2006, 09:01 PM,
RE: New to TOAW ...
If you want, I`ll give you a fight

And I know TOAW3 isnat available to add !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
07-16-2006, 12:22 AM,
Those are all pretty good ideas, excpet maybe no. 3, a pbem with another newbie!

I see Antoni has offered to play you, hopefully he'll give you some hints, then you can check back in with us...

Don't forget the searchable help file included with the game CD, it's called opart cw help.chm, and it's a lot easier to use than the manual; for example, use "search", type in "supply",and see what happens; then, type "supply hq" and see the difference...it will pop up entries which contain both the words "supply" and "hq". This is really the best place to get answers fast.

Also, read the posts at the top of this forum, especially on the TOAW 3 Anti-Cheat features.

Also, check out the strategy articles on this site; there are several for TOAW, and the hints will all apply to TOAW 3.

I'll check with the webmaster, and get TOAW 3 added as a game selection for our profiles.

Welcome aboard, and good gaming!!
07-16-2006, 03:47 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: New to TOAW ...
Thanks for the welcome, Gentlemen, and the tips.

Antoni, thanks for the game offer. When I said "veteran player" I didn't necessarily mean THAT veteran. ;) Nevertheless, I'll gladly accept. Just give me a couple of days more to play through all the tutorials. They seem really helpful. :smoke:

Am I right in assuming that TOAW3 is compatible with earlier versions of the game? So that I could PBEM with people who don't own TOAW3? Thanks.
07-16-2006, 03:51 AM,
NO !

TOAW 3 is way different from all other versions of the game !.

As its written for XP - the others werent.

If you want to play ACOW - I have that also.
And thanks for the recogntiton !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
07-16-2006, 07:50 AM,
TOAW III is compatible with earlier versions only in the sense that it will play scenarios created in prior versions, once they've been loaded in the TOAW III editor, and saved; so you get the benefit of hundreds of great scenarios; for example, if you go to the Rugged Defense scenario depot, just download scenarios for COW, load them into the TOAW III editor, save, and you're set!

However, you have to play against someone else who has TOAW III. Hopefully most will migrate soon!