• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The American Revolution from a British POV
07-10-2006, 03:54 PM,
RE: The American Revolution from a British POV
A friend of mine was in a pub in Glasgow when a middle aged American couple came in for a drink, they started a conversation with the people at the bar with "I love England, it's great here!" he has never heard a bar go so silent......................:)
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM,
RE: The American Revolution from a British POV
There is a lot of spin about just what is a "Civil War"

civil war

NOUN:

1. A war between factions or regions of the same country.
2. A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: "The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul" (Bill Powell).
3. Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States .
4. Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.

What we here on this side of the pond call the revolutionary war was in fact a Civil war. The Colonies were part of the British Empire. I'm not sure why some people make a distinction between the various types of civil war.
A more accurate phrase would be a 'war of secession'.
Since the purpose of the war of 1776 and on was to seceed from the british emoire, that is a more accurate term then 'revolution' which implies a change of the type of government in a country, or 'civil war, which is just another way of saying coup. The people running things change but the form of government remains the same.
As far as spinning it to be a good thing for England, someone needs to back off the koolaid. Trading the entire continent of N. America for India? give me a break. India might have been the Crown Jewel, but America was the whole dang Jewelry Store. With a mine in the back yard.
IIRC, there was a book written called 'The Two Georges' that dealt with the alternate history of America if Washington and the Third had sat down and worked out an arrangement allowing America to remain a part of the Commonwealth. Sort of what the Brits did with their other Colonies after the American secession.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
Quote this message in a reply