• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S42' Campaign Strategy
06-21-2006, 09:14 AM,
S42' Campaign Strategy
Does anyone have any insights into sound overall strategy as the Axis powers in the main Uranus campaign?
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2006, 04:21 PM,
RE: S42' Campaign Strategy
I posted something regarding this same topic several weeks ago when I had just started two campaign games of S42 (one as axis and one as the Soviets). I can give you my thoughts, but I am still working on my theory for axis play, so what I say may be subject to chnage.

First, in the north, the axis minor units are terrible, and no matter what you do, they are going to get swamped. I tried a slow steady retreat, but once the Soviets get a hole or breach, things get ugly fast. Just be ready to accept the loss of all these units or most of them (depends on how badly the Soviets want them really). Also, don't try to hard to save the Rum 5 infantry division, as you can lose more units to to make sure this division gets out than if you leave them to fend for themselves.

The 22 Pz and Rum 1 Arm should probably protect the main highway running north to south to the Chir, or head east toward the Don. Don't waste these guys, if you are playing the base scenario, they are your only mobile units in the northern portion of the battlefield.

The 376 Inf, 44 Inf, and 384 Inf must get back across the Don. Do not lose these divisions! Do not try to retreat with them to the south west, they won't make it and you will end up losing them.

In the city itself, get all your mobile divisions out asap. Either head southwest or due south depending on your overall plan. The forts where 60 Mot and 3 Mot start the game can be held if you send sufficiant units of infantry to take their place, but it will be close.

Then the big decision. Do you allow the pocket to be formed, or do you retreat the pocket units to the south west? I don't know yet, as I have not gotten far enough into my game as German or Russian to have an opinion yet. I think both might be viable, but if your going to allow the pocket to be formed, you might have to keep at least on mobile division with the pocket for a reserve (I hate this idea as I want all the mobile divisions roaming outside the pocket for the relief effort).

In the city proper, a few important Soviet positions can be taken if you will make the effort. The Red Oktober Factory is a must take if you plan on forming the pocket. The Tennis Racket should also be taken. The Ferry and Red Square would also be nice, but I am not sure they can be taken without committing the mobile divisions you want to get out.

The southern shoulder should be defensible with 371 Inf and 297 Infantry. The 29 Mot can really give the Russians a bloody nose if they get to ambitious in the south, so the Russians should be a bit cautious.

As for the southern axis minors, I was able to save most of Rum 20 Inf and Rum 2 Inf divisions. Rum 1 Inf and 18 were a loss. Further south Rum 4, Rum 5 Cav and 8 Cav can probably all make it if the head south west. If they go north, they may get run down, depending on what the Soviets try to do.

This isn't much, but its the makings of a plan I think depending on your tastes. So, taking these tips, the plan might be as follows:

1. Slow retreat with all axis minors in the north directly south, and hope the Russians stop the chase to head south east with the mobile forces to close on the Don and meet up with the southern Soviet wing. This might save some of them.

2. The northern (west bank of Don) German infantry units run like hell for the Don. Just make sure you have time to cross the Don at the bridges, it can be tricky with Russians on your tail.

3. Allow the pocket, using the Don as the west line, the northern forts as the north, Volga as the east, and the Cherelenaya river and Yelkhi as the south. Now thats going to leave a big gap between the southern defenders and the west, but not all plans are perfect!

4. Have the mobile divisions that escaped the pocket try to entice the Russians into a fluid battle south of Stalingrad, or move them to the north and try the same idea, while you wait for help.

5. Play the rest by ear.

I hope this helps.

Scar
"When in doubt, lash out."
06-23-2006, 08:04 AM,
Well, as I am playing Scar right now as the Soviets, I noe know his cunning plan!!!

I do agree with Scar about the Germans in S42 as I have been recently trounced in the campaign as the German. Particularly in that the 376th 44th, and 384th German Infantry divisions should be withdrawn to the east side of the Don. As the German, I tried to withdraw them southwest and they were run down in the open and slaughtered.

Once I lost those three divisions, as Scar implies, the game is difficult for the Stalingrad pocket as without them, 6th Army (in my case) was no longer able to defend itself and I was forced to resign.

From my experience after being throughly humiliated as the German (by Brammer, I might add), I would also advise that once you make a decision, make it and execute it. I withdrew a panzer division and the 100th Jaeger from Stalingrad and put them in deep reserve east of Kalach. by the time I got around to deciding to move them west of the Don it was too late--they were cut to ribbons in the open by soviet mobile forces.

I also agree with Scar in that (from our experience) if the German can get a mobile battle going southwest of Stalingrad with intact divisions, he has a good chance of crippling the Soviet southern pincer.

Over all, while one might think that Stalingrad is a game with few options for the Germans, I think the opposite is true. The German has powerfull forces at his disposal, and must decide to stand, withdraw, and counterattack as he sees fit. For my money--and this is just me talking--I find the Stalingrad campaign game the best HPS has to offer.
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM,
oops double post, sorry
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM,
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the in-depth explanations, this is my first PzC campaign scenario and it was looking pretty daunting. Imagine how poor v. Paulus felt.
06-23-2006, 11:46 AM,
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the in-depth explanations, this is my first PzC campaign scenario and it was looking pretty daunting. Imagine how poor v. Paulus felt.
06-23-2006, 10:09 PM,
I am playing the Axis side and here are a few thoughts:

1. Indecision and hesistation are what lead to the Axis defeat. Both the northern and southern Soviet pincers could have been declawed if the Axis had kept it's armored together as a cohesive force.

2. Study the morale of the units very closely and decide who should be sacrified and who should be saved....

Marquo
06-23-2006, 10:13 PM,
Poor V. Paulus
Boston33 Wrote:Imagine how poor v. Paulus felt.

I pored for hours over prewar maps of Europe, yet I am at a loss. Where in Germany is Stalingrad?

Marquo :-)