• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Definition of a mirror game?
06-19-2006, 05:08 AM,
Definition of a mirror game?
Can someone please clarify something for me. What exactly is a 'mirror game'?

I recently agreed to my first ever 'mirror' game, only my understanding of what they were appears to have been incorrect.

I assumed a mirror game was exactly that, that is one map 2 games, one you play Allies, one Axis. Whilst I am indeed playing 2 games, (1 Allied, 1 Axis), they are using different maps, and in both I'm attacking and my opponent defending.

Whilst I don't necessarily mind that, I would like to know for future reference so that If I invite, or am invited to play any more, both my opponent and I know what to expect; or if both options are valid that I need to be clear and what the exact arrangement is.
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2006, 05:35 AM,
RE: Definition of a mirror game?
A mirror game is the same forces (although this isnt set in stone) on the same map played from both sides. You attack in one, defend in the other.

Not exactly a mirrored battle if your attacking in both games... and on different maps... thats not mirrored thats just you playing 2 games. LOL

Bootie
06-19-2006, 05:41 AM,
Thought as much, cheers.
06-19-2006, 05:54 AM,
Using a scenario, a mirror game is pretty straight forward. You play Axis in one game and Allied in the other.

In a QB, it gets a little more complex mostly because of the map. Usually, as the others said, the exact same settings are used for the games, but the sides are switched. Usually both sides are free to pick thier forces within the confines of the settings. So it is unlikely that the exact Axis forces will be the same, but the players had the same choices when they made their picks.

For the map, you have two choices, a random map or a custom pre-made map. Randoms maps would be made with the same settings but would not be identical, so it could still influence play quite a bit. A pre-made map is probably a little more in the spirit of mirror matching since it would be the same for both sides.

Mike
06-20-2006, 04:09 AM,

Is this a mirror thread? Big Grin
06-20-2006, 09:22 AM,
06-20-2006, 04:48 PM,
personally I am not a fan of mirror games for that very reason - the unknown of where your opponent is and what he has is the whole point as far as I am concerned - that was the beauty of Rico's scenario in the BBB comp - it didnt matter knowing where the forces could set up as when defending as the Germans you cannot cover all avenues of attack and as the Russians you could concentrate your attack from any direction or outflank depending on the random size of your force
06-21-2006, 12:32 AM,
I agree. At present Im running a mirror comp 'March to the Gothic Line' however I have gave a lot of options IMO regarding which area to defend and which to attack. Ive made all the scenarios in the comp like this.... a lot of flexibility.

Bootie