• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Franco-Prussian Wargame?
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM,
Off Topic  Franco-Prussian Wargame?
Does anyone know of any grand tactical or operational wargame, which details the Franco-Prussian war of 1870? I've recently been reading a lot about it because I am of Prussian heritage, and found it to be an interesting topic. So far I've only found some older games by Shrapnel which pertain to Frederick I's battles with Austria.
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2006, 02:29 PM,
RE: Franco-Prussian Wargame?
There is a scenario for that conflict in COW. I don't know if it is included in TOAW III though.
06-15-2006, 11:16 PM,
Any idea as to the historical accuracy of it? I usually find the huge scope and range of what TOAW does isn't worth the lack of historical accuracy and general playability of the scenarios.
06-16-2006, 12:57 AM,
I have no idea since I haven't read anything on the Franco-Prussain war in years, but I agree in general about your comments concerning TOAW.
06-16-2006, 10:37 AM,
Yeah, I just began reading some stuff on it recently and it's pretty interesting. A couple prime examples of encirclement. Von Moltke was one of the most brilliant generals in history in my opinion. Also, if this war had never taken place, one can make an extremely plausible arguement that WWI, WWII, and the rise of Soviet Communism would never have happened.
06-19-2006, 02:51 PM,
Assuming you mean computer game. If not, SPI made a pretty decent game of the Franco-Prussian War back in the seventies. It was also one of the first games to take a stab at FOW, with the units face down (and some of them were decoys).
06-20-2006, 08:22 AM,
Yeah, unfourtunately I don't have any friends who are military history dweebs like I am. So, I'm pretty much confined to the internet (which is definetly not a bad thing, it's interesting to meet and game with people from all over).
06-20-2006, 06:14 PM,
Are you sure Boston? Watch www.frappr.com/wargameplayers and you might find other players in your area.