• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thinking of Joining Ladder
06-10-2006, 11:53 PM,
Thinking of Joining Ladder
Gents,

I have been contemplating Joining the ACW ladder.
I have a couple of questions though'

I have noticed that there are 3 different games series supported'

Talonsoft Battleground Series.
Sid Meyers Series
and (Hps?) Campaign Series.

What do the preponderance of the players on the ladder play?
Are there any pros or cons for each? I was toying with the idea of the Talonsoft series, but I am having a hard time finding it even on E-Bay.
I haven't bought any of the games yet so I am very much open to suggestion.

Michael
:conf:
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2006, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2006, 09:21 PM by Abatis.)
RE: Thinking of Joining Ladder
Michael,

I'm new to this ladder too...

...pretty sure this place is HPS dominated...I have all the BG games...just got HPS Gettysburg...it really looks like this series of HPS games are Tiller's "final draft" so to speak on his 32 bit versions of the BG games...They are very similar from my initial viewing...I'm sure a vet or 3 will chime in.

Incidentally, I have the SidMier games too...have never played them vs a human...they seem like Close Combat for the Civil War....it can be a click fest, but you can slow things down to a crawl...no pbem though, gotta play live if I recall correctly...I personaly have no problem with real time games if the absractions seem sound, and things can be slowed down to a manageble level...don't want it to be a test of reflexes! Much can be said IMHO about the nature of having to make "snap" decisions while the fight is going on around you...it's a tough balancing act though; simulation vs video game, and I think most guys around here shun realtime (usually with good reason!).

I'll give you a game if you get HPS gettysburg or find any of the old battleground games or even the Meir games. I'd have to install them and patch 'em up, but no problem. I'll be buying Campaign Ozark next month, so that's another I could give you a game with -soon.
"I'll wrestle anybody in the crowd!"

Pappy Boyington
06-11-2006, 09:34 AM,
Thanks for the info, I will be on the look ot for the Campaign series. Maybe in the not to distant future we can have a go at it.
Michael
06-11-2006, 04:35 PM,
Michael,

I've been playing BG exclusively since I joined this ladder... recently bought a couple of the HPS titles but haven't had time to break them in, so can't comment on them. I'm very happy with the (fully patched, 32-bit) BG games and recommend Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and Bull Run most highly... haven't PBEM'd Shiloh yet... and have steered clear of Antietam as a straightforward bloodbath, which may not be fair.

I've owned the BG series since they were first released, so my loyalty is largely based on familiarity. If the system's a good one, I like playing one I know so that I'm flummoxed by my opponents, or by my own poor decision-making, vs. being sandbagged by the rules & mechanics of a less familiar system... as you might have guessed from my recent EF angst.

Bill
06-11-2006, 09:35 PM,
BT Wrote:Michael,

I've been playing BG exclusively since I joined this ladder... recently bought a couple of the HPS titles but haven't had time to break them in, so can't comment on them. I'm very happy with the (fully patched, 32-bit) BG games and recommend Gettysburg, Chickamauga, and Bull Run most highly... haven't PBEM'd Shiloh yet... and have steered clear of Antietam as a straightforward bloodbath, which may not be fair.

I've owned the BG series since they were first released, so my loyalty is largely based on familiarity. If the system's a good one, I like playing one I know so that I'm flummoxed by my opponents, or by my own poor decision-making, vs. being sandbagged by the rules & mechanics of a less familiar system... as you might have guessed from my recent EF angst.

Bill

Bill,

I'll pbem you any BG ACW game- have them all(and the Nappys too for that matter)...I need to get out of bootcamp; assuming you have a slot open...Let me know, all of your preferences are fine. I'll have to install and patch up to 32...might need some info to get 'er done too, been out of touch with BG for some time, and ran into install issues a year or so back when I attempted to do it. Have a different 'puter now though, so maybe things will go better :)
"I'll wrestle anybody in the crowd!"

Pappy Boyington
06-17-2006, 07:06 PM,
Gents,

Thanks for the input. I should have BG Antietam,
and Sid Meier's Collection: Gettysburg, Antietam
and South Mountain. By the end of this coming week.

So give me a bit to learn the mechanics of the games
and then I can become Cannon Fodder.

Michael