• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HQ units
01-28-2023, 04:42 AM,
c_Question Mark  HQ units
Two questions about it:
1) If HQ unit was eliminated, where it should appear on the map?
2) During the assault on alone HQ the attacking side getting losses. Isn't HQ units have zero assault value?
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2023, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2023, 10:20 AM by Elxaime.)
RE: HQ units
(01-28-2023, 04:42 AM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: Two questions about it:
1) If HQ unit was eliminated, where it should appear on the map?
2) During the assault on alone HQ the attacking side getting losses. Isn't HQ units have zero assault value?

Hi -

Welcome comments from others, but here is what I think the answers are:

On #1, the destroyed HQ will reappear, disrupted, on a hex of a unit which is a remaining unit of its command.  For example, the 1st brigade HQ is destroyed - it will reappear on top of any remaining 1st brigade unit.  I believe if there is more than one such unit/location, it will be chosen randomly among them.  If no such subordinate unit remains, the HQ is permanently destroyed (which makes sense, since there is no one left for it to command).

On #2, although a HQ doesn't have values to enable it to attack on its own, or fire defensively, the manpower is still assumed to have some sort of weapons and inclination to use them.  There are cases of HQ personnel thrown into the front line as makeshift defenders or requiring some effort to eliminate if surrounded.  Not a great idea to have this happen, since the VP cost for losses among HQ are higher than other units.  If caught in a pocket, you can also get a phenomenon where, in association with what happens under #1 above, a HQ gets destroyed and reappears repeatedly, earning the enemy a bounty of VP.  Best to not use them anywhere at the front and, if in a collapsing pocket of your own troops, make sure they are the last unit destroyed.
01-29-2023, 02:23 AM,
RE: HQ units
(01-28-2023, 10:18 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Hi -

Welcome comments from others, but here is what I think the answers are:

On #1, the destroyed HQ will reappear, disrupted, on a hex of a unit which is a remaining unit of its command.  For example, the 1st brigade HQ is destroyed - it will reappear on top of any remaining 1st brigade unit.  I believe if there is more than one such unit/location, it will be chosen randomly among them.  If no such subordinate unit remains, the HQ is permanently destroyed (which makes sense, since there is no one left for it to command).
Hm... it explains the odd thing when the enemy HQ appears inside isolated enemy bunker with no free hexes around. I was sure that the destroyed HQ should reappear somewhere far away - maybe on the edge of the map, on the nearest supply source or on the HHQ outside of the isolated area.

Quote:On #2, although a HQ doesn't have values to enable it to attack on its own, or fire defensively, the manpower is still assumed to have some sort of weapons and inclination to use them.  There are cases of HQ personnel thrown into the front line as makeshift defenders or requiring some effort to eliminate if surrounded.  Not a great idea to have this happen, since the VP cost for losses among HQ are higher than other units.  If caught in a pocket, you can also get a phenomenon where, in association with what happens under #1 above, a HQ gets destroyed and reappears repeatedly, earning the enemy a bounty of VP.  Best to not use them anywhere at the front and, if in a collapsing pocket of your own troops, make sure they are the last unit destroyed.
I understand that HQ personnel has "some" ability to defend youself but why not to add a simple "assault value = 1" to HQ's. There is a space for a such line.