• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Two newb questions: hotspot color and selection by org
01-13-2022, 09:44 PM,
c_Question Mark  Two newb questions: hotspot color and selection by org
I'm a newbie to this series and have a couple questions I couldn't find an answer to when I searched:

1. Is there a way to mod the hotspot color / blink rate?  I'd like to have "dazzle" highlighting like the alt highlight.

2. Is there a way (in game or workaround) to select the next unit by its organization instead of its location?  For example, within 1st Division, a hotkey would select: A Co/1 Bn/1 Br, then B Co, then C Co, etc.  I use divisional markings and can see what's moved using highlights.  Using the organization dialog highlights them, but since the dialog box is "locked", I can't click through.

Many thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2022, 10:23 PM,
RE: Two newb questions: hotspot color and selection by org
You can highlight an organization by levels using a hotkey. Selecting a unit and hitting "O" will highlight that unit's immediate organization. For example, if you select A Co/1 Bn/1 Br, and hit "O", it will highlight all the companies that belong to 1 Bn. If you then hit Alt-O, it will go up the chain; i.e., it will highlight all the battalions in 1 Br., and then all the brigades in the division, etc. Each time you move a unit it will go back to the lowest level of the organization; i.e., the company level. I use this all the time in conjunction with the Y hotkey (shade reachable hexes).
01-13-2022, 11:00 PM,
(01-13-2022, 09:44 PM)taymaj Wrote: I'm a newbie to this series and have a couple questions I couldn't find an answer to when I searched:

1. Is there a way to mod the hotspot color / blink rate?  I'd like to have "dazzle" highlighting like the alt highlight.

2. Is there a way (in game or workaround) to select the next unit by its organization instead of its location?  For example, within 1st Division, a hotkey would select: A Co/1 Bn/1 Br, then B Co, then C Co, etc.  I use divisional markings and can see what's moved using highlights.  Using the organization dialog highlights them, but since the dialog box is "locked", I can't click through.

Many thanks!

Like LordDeadWood said, you can climb up the ranks of an org with the highlight, but I don't think you can cycle the selection through an org's units. Unfortunately the color and the blink rate of the hotspot seems to be hardcoded and so far there's no way to change them (I would personally like the hotspot to be a little more conspicuous, especially in Squad Battles).
01-14-2022, 12:49 AM,
(01-13-2022, 11:00 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:44 PM)taymaj Wrote: I'm a newbie to this series and have a couple questions I couldn't find an answer to when I searched:

Many thanks!

Like LordDeadWood said, you can climb up the ranks of an org with the highlight, but I don't think you can cycle the selection through an org's units. Unfortunately the color and the blink rate of the hotspot seems to be hardcoded and so far there's no way to change them (I would personally like the hotspot to be a little more conspicuous, especially in Squad Battles).
I agree, it would be nice to be able to do something with the hotspot. And the cursor! There are times that thing is nearly invisible against the background of the map...
01-14-2022, 09:17 AM,
(01-14-2022, 12:49 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote:

Many thanks!

I agree, it would be nice to be able to do something with the hotspot. And the cursor! There are times that thing is nearly invisible against the background of the map...

You can increase the cursor size and colour, mine is purple and I use a larger crosshair.

Start / Settings / Devices / Adjust mouse and cursor size / Mouse pointer size and colours.
01-14-2022, 10:38 AM,
Hey everyone - thank you for the feedback.  I hadn't thought to use the "O" / "Alt-O" hotkeys as my selection guide, but that seems like a reasonable work around.  And I really need to get better about focusing on a location and moving / firing there before getting distracted and looking elsewhere.

Bummer that the hotspot can't be modified.  Oh well, nearly everything else can, so I appreciate that modability.
01-14-2022, 09:59 PM,
(01-14-2022, 09:17 AM)Lowlander Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 12:49 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote:

Many thanks!

You can increase the cursor size and colour, mine is purple and I use a larger crosshair.

Start / Settings / Devices / Adjust mouse and cursor size / Mouse pointer size and colours.
I guess I didn't realize the Windows cursor settings would work on the in-game cursor. I'll give it a shot, thanks!