• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineer withdrawn - what happens to the bridge?
10-14-2021, 03:51 AM,
Engineer withdrawn - what happens to the bridge?
Say an engineer unit has a bridge over a river, but is then withdrawn?  I suppose the bridge vanishes too? In which case, it's probably not a good idea to span a river with a unit scheduled to leave very soon?
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2021, 05:02 AM,
RE: Engineer withdrawn - what happens to the bridge?
I have never encountered this situation, but I agree with you that the bridge would disappear with the engineer unit, so yes not a good idea to have such a unit build a bridge that you are relying on!  Big Grin
10-14-2021, 09:50 PM,
Is this a hypothetical question or is there an actual scenario in any of the games where this can happen?  

Just curious.  Smile

Ian from 'bonnie' Dundee
10-16-2021, 06:20 AM,
I have heard they have a Manual for these Games.........    Wink
10-17-2021, 01:53 AM,
(10-16-2021, 06:20 AM)Deturk Wrote: I have heard they have a Manual for these Games.........    Wink

Thank you for your helpful comment. Please direct me to the page of the User Manual which addresses my question.
10-17-2021, 01:57 AM,
(10-14-2021, 09:50 PM)Plain Ian Wrote: Is this a hypothetical question or is there an actual scenario in any of the games where this can happen?  

Just curious.  Smile

Ian from 'bonnie' Dundee

France 40: German paras include engineers, which are withdrawn at a given date late in Fall Gelb campaign scenarios. I'm mid-game so I don't want to be too specific, but I assure you the question is not hypothetical.
10-17-2021, 06:58 AM,
(10-17-2021, 01:53 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 06:20 AM)Deturk Wrote: I have heard they have a Manual for these Games.........    Wink

Thank you for your helpful comment. Please direct me to the page of the User Manual which addresses my question.

If an engineer with a bridge is withdrawn, the bridge is removed. Effectively the engineer has abandoned the bridge. In game terms, an abandoned bridge ceases to exist. This situation is not explicitly covered in the Manual but can be inferred from the Abandoning Bridges section. The bridge can never exist independently of the engineer.
10-18-2021, 03:00 AM,
I like to think this forum allows people to "Sanity check" features of the game that are not 100% clear in the manual and I think this question falls into that category perfectly.  Big Grin
10-18-2021, 04:36 AM,
And I always like to check what the game actually does whether in the manual or not. It definitely removes the bridge, full hex or hex side, if the engineer is removed. Good to know (for me) that it follows expectations lol.
[Image: exercise.png]