• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS Wolfpack - Passive Sonar
03-26-2021, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2021, 07:12 PM by Lethal.)
JTS Wolfpack - Passive Sonar
Greeting U-Boat aficionados!

Those who have been interested in U-Boats and U-Boat games will be familiar with the concept of: if you cannot see them on the surface, dive and listen on passive sonar.  If JTS Wolfpack is to be taken on face value, this is a misnomer.  I have never picked up a convoy (much noise) or a single freighter on passive sonar.  The only way I have been able to detect the possible location of the enemy is via their ASDIC pings (active sonar) - i.e., the bright green line.  Passive Sonar, the dark green line, can only indicate targets when they are well within torpedo range!

I am curious about the performance of active sonar (bright green) as depicted in the game.  A U-Boat is supposed to be able to detect active sonar at twice the effective range, ie it can detect active sonar before the pinger detects the U-Boat.  The active range is 5000yds, about two and a half nm/two and a half range dots.  I suspect that it works on the fringes of 4-5000yds but I'm not so sure about 10000yds.

I would be interested to hear other players experiences of this.  Perhaps I am misreading something.

Presume sonar value in the Parameter Data is "active".

thx

Image re passive sonar performance

Gruppenhorchgerat (GHG)

The standard U-boat hydrophone, the GHG (Group Listening Apparatus) was installed in U-boats from 1935 onwards. It consisted of two sets of hydrophones mounted on each side of the bows, covering two arcs of 140 degrees on the sides of the U-boat. Because the hydrophones could not be rotated, the triangulation was most effective with sound sources coming from the sides, with deteriorating accuracy as the source moved to the front or rear of the boat. Consisting of 24 hydrophones, the GHG could pick up lone vessels up to 20 kilometers and convoys up to 100 kilometers away. The detection range however was also dependant on sea conditions.
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2021, 07:57 PM,
RE: JTS Wolfpack - Passive Sonar
A month since my original post.

Normally I am a supporter of JTS and am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But I have to say that JTS Wolfpack should not have been released in its current form. The passive sonar is broken to such a degree as to make the game unplayable for anyone who knows anything about U-Boat operations, especially as JTS products are supposed to stand on their technical accuracy within the reasonable probabilities of gaming.

IMHO JTS Wolfpack is not worth considering. Many better games of the genre on the market.
05-27-2021, 12:35 AM,
Have seen this post and we're looking into it. We've been dealing with a few things these last few months...

Additionally, posting here is not an official support avenue. If you would like a timely and direct response from the company please go through our website - https://johntillersoftware.com/Support.php
06-01-2021, 12:03 PM,
Excellent! Thanks for posting and I will submit a request on the company website.

Good to know this issue is being looked at, even if it takes some time to remedy.
06-08-2021, 09:38 AM,
I just wanted to give an update on this. We've looked at the issue, and you're right, passive sonar ranges need to be radically upgraded.

I can't say when the patch will be out (as Rich said, we've been dealing with lots of things), but I can assure you, that will be in there. We're still working out the details, but one way or the other...
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
06-08-2021, 12:02 PM,
Hello Gary,
That is great to hear. I think under the bonnet there is an interesting and unique game in the market. Obviously in a game of this style it is imperative that sensors (electronic and mk1 eyeball) perform within the realms of probability. Especially when players attracted to the title are bound to have a good understanding of the equipment and its historical operation.

Looking forward to the update.

Thx
06-23-2021, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2021, 07:31 AM by parmenio.)
Hi,

You should be getting something soon from JTS Support relating to this i.e. a patch for Wolfpack encompassing the Game Engine, Scenario Editor and Parameter Data Editor. 

By default, you will see no change as it relies on updating the game PDTs via the Parameter Data Editor to provide new Passive Sonar ranges. For backwards compatibility, opening an older PDT whether in the game, scenario editor or parameter data editor sets the Passive Sonar Range the same as the Active. When saving the PDT in the Parameter Data Editor it ups the version as well as saving the new data values to whatever you set them to.

Andy
WDS Modern Air Power | WDS Naval Campaigns | WDS Squad Battles | WDS Strategic War
06-23-2021, 08:10 AM,
Sweet! thanks for the update.
06-27-2021, 02:31 AM,
I don't normally do this, but here are the updated files for Wolfpack... as has been mentioned, these are only the exe files - no updated PDT files as of this time. Go ahead and play around and see what you think:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/JohnTillerSoftw...ck_101.zip
06-27-2021, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2021, 09:32 AM by Lethal.)
(06-27-2021, 02:31 AM)rahamy Wrote: I don't normally do this, but here are the updated files for Wolfpack... as has been mentioned, these are only the exe files - no updated PDT files as of this time. Go ahead and play around and see what you think:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/JohnTillerSoftw...ck_101.zip

Thanks!  Look forward to seeing how it performs.
Presume the files are extracted into the Wolfpack directory, i.e., not into sub-dir

First test - no change! Scenario: Convoy - OB-4 Passive indicated but no indication/reports. Min speed. Periscope depth. First contact active sonar - bright green.