• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB Falklands - What is your experience?
06-19-2021, 06:47 AM,
c_Question Mark  SB Falklands - What is your experience?
The Falklands title seems to get less attention in the forums and seems to be played less frequently in the ladder.

Nevertheless, I always found it an interesting conflict from a historic perspective considering the combined operations of air, naval and land forces in the 80s.

Looking at the game maps, which appear a bit bland but reflect the actual terrain, what is your experience with this title?

Is there a variety of interesting scenarios beyond "taking the next hill"?

To what extent are air, naval and amphibious operations modeled?

Thanks for your feedback!

Helmet Smile
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2021, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2021, 05:05 PM by Embis.)
RE: SB Falklands - What is your experience?
As with all the SB series I think the scenarios represent the campaign very well, and of course you get all the the support elements you would expect from air and sea. Most of the landings during the Falklands were unopposed and the scenarios in the game reflect this. A fair number of scenarios represent actions by the SAS and SBS so no shortage of interesting scenarios, but since most of the Falklands campaign was about taking the next hill...a fair few of the scenarios are also about this.

I think Its a much neglected title in the SB community but this just reflects the fact that its a theatre of ops that doesn't interest a lot of people, nothing to do with the quality of the game. The same thing can be said of Spanish Civil War. But if its a theatre you are interested in and you are debating getting it then I would say go ahead, you'll enjoy it.

Also might be worth looking at "Red Star Over Europe" if you like a bit of 80's action, a Mod based on "Vietnam" covering the "cold war gone hot" NATO & USSR in Europe.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
06-19-2021, 07:17 PM,
I really like Falklands and really want Red Star Over Europe - where do I get it?
Send this user an email
06-22-2021, 02:53 AM,
For anyone interested in the conflict, Martin Middlebrook has published two accessible books that describe the major events from the viewpoint of both sides:

https://www.amazon.com/Falklands-War-Mar...076&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Argentine-Fight-F...U5BS&psc=1
06-22-2021, 12:15 PM,
Anything by Nicholas Van Der Bilj is also worth reading. The best book I found, unfortunately when I was almost done, was The Falklands War Then and Now by Gordon Ramsey. It is full of photos, both from 1982 and 2006. They really give you an idea of what the battlefield looked like. There are some good maps too that show even small unit movements. Much of the book is devoted to telling the story by the people who lived it, with accounts from soldiers, sailors, aircrew and civilians from both sides. The amount of detail is pretty incredible. The downside of course is that it is really expensive if you can find a copy. I haven't look recently, but I think I paid almost $150 for mine.
06-27-2021, 08:01 PM,
(06-19-2021, 07:17 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I really like Falklands and really want Red Star Over Europe - where do I get it?

Email sent.
Napoleon I
06-27-2021, 08:07 PM,
(06-22-2021, 12:15 PM)Jeff Conner Wrote: [Snip...Snip...] The Falklands War Then and Now by Gordon Ramsey. [snip...snip...]  I haven't look recently, but I think I paid almost $150 for mine.

£36 on amazon
Napoleon I