• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy 44 commando infiltration tactics
09-28-2020, 07:55 PM,
Help  Normandy 44 commando infiltration tactics
For all you experienced N44 German players out there any tactical tips on how I can mitigate Allied Commandos infiltrating through the gaps in my stretched defensive lines. We are playing with the default set up so no locking ZOC rule.
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2020, 09:27 PM,
RE: Normandy 44 commando infiltration tactics
Even without locking ZOC, they still can't advance from ZOC to ZOC if the hex is vacant.
So have a secondary line exerting ZOC. All those small AA units come in quite handy for this.
Just be aware that HQ and AT-guns on their own do not exert ZOC, so they can't be used for this.
09-28-2020, 10:06 PM,
(09-28-2020, 09:27 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Even without locking ZOC, they still can't advance from ZOC to ZOC if the hex is vacant.
So have a secondary line exerting ZOC. All those small AA units come in quite handy for this.
Just be aware that HQ and AT-guns on their own do not exert ZOC, so they can't be used for this.

Thank you good tip.
09-29-2020, 01:20 AM,
(09-28-2020, 09:27 PM)CheerfullyInsane Wrote: Even without locking ZOC, they still can't advance from ZOC to ZOC if the hex is vacant.

I tried your suggestion but the commando unit was still able to advance ZOC to ZOC into a vacant hex 😕
09-29-2020, 01:40 AM,
(09-29-2020, 01:20 AM)Paul Wrote:

I tried your suggestion but the commando unit was still able to advance ZOC to ZOC into a vacant hex 😕
09-29-2020, 01:42 AM,
Because of the design of the game ( Axis OOB ) being accurate, this is where House Rules are really necessary IMHO.
09-29-2020, 03:12 AM,
On page 11 of the user manual:

Commando and Partisan units have the ability to move from one enemy ZOC to another.
09-29-2020, 04:32 AM,
Indeed the advice in post #2 is incorrect, Commandoes can move from ZoC to ZoC, the only way to prevent this is to have a continuous line of defending units (which I know you can't do) or have a powerful unit behind the line that the commandos are infiltrating and assault them.

I can't see your situation, but in giving that advice I am assuming the Commando units are maybe 150 man units? If so they will suffer a disproportionate amount of fatigue if assaulted repeatedly by a larger unit.

Maybe the N44 Vet's will have other ideas?  Wink
09-29-2020, 06:44 AM,
(09-29-2020, 04:32 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Indeed the advice in post #2 is incorrect, Commandoes can move from ZoC to ZoC, the only way to prevent this is to have a continuous line of defending units (which I know you can't do) or have a powerful unit behind the line that the commandos are infiltrating and assault them.

I can't see your situation, but in giving that advice I am assuming the Commando units are maybe 150 man units? If so they will suffer a disproportionate amount of fatigue if assaulted repeatedly by a larger unit.

Maybe the N44 Vet's will have other ideas?  Wink

Thanks good advice on fatigue
09-30-2020, 04:20 PM,
Duh.....
Sorry, missed the Commandos bit. Whistle

Quote:I can't see your situation, but in giving that advice I am assuming the Commando units are maybe 150 man units? If so they will suffer a disproportionate amount of fatigue if assaulted repeatedly by a larger unit.

Problem is that the German player has to split into company-sized units to cover the front, at least in the first week.
So a counter-attack is unlikely to field more than 120-ish men.