• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rommel Takes The Suez Canal Version 2.0 Updated
08-25-2020, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 08:40 AM by Dan Caviness.)
RE: Rommel Takes The Suez Canal Version 2.0 Updated
Hey Mr. Zap...I'd help if I could...but you already have guys far more capable on the job.

It sounds like maybe you could reinstall...if you moved all your custom scenarios to an outside folder first so you could move them back into the game after the reload?

Regards,

Desert Dan
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2020, 09:01 AM,
(08-21-2020, 11:21 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I have also tested both sides and it opens fine (except for a little graphic error notice - that I am trying to figure out). Otherwise all is working well on my side.

Hey Ash...dawags (Dale) gets that error message as well.

It may be part of/tied to the issue I am working on below.
As you say, it's not a problem, just click on OK, it goes away.
Still...irritating for me...sigh...

RS is the Twilight Zone of design...many strange goings on...and I'm pretty sure I saw Rod Serling smoking a cigarette in my basement...The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street... Whistle Crazy Jester
08-25-2020, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2020, 12:44 PM by Scud.)
(08-23-2020, 02:21 PM)zap Wrote: So, I discovered, if I take out just one file either the .org file. or map file. The scenario won't crash That tells me my rig can'take the data in the scenario? How can that be when I have so much memory 16 Gig. and an i7 motherboard? the question is what can I do on my end to resolve this issue?

I doubt it's your computer. I7 and 16 gigs is WAY more than this game was meant for back in 1998 and not much has changed. You could update your graphics card driver if you're using one, but it sounds like more of a corruption. Is Dan's file the only one you're having an issue with? If so, delete the old files and download it again. After that if you're still suspicious of your computer then I would say to update all your drivers. IObit has a free driver checker/updater that works well. I'd update each driver one at a time in case there's an issue. The application has a rollback feature if you do. Also, make a restore point before you do anything, just in case. I've used it and was very impressed. It even has a game mode that automatically kills background processes that might interfere when you're playing: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-26-2020, 02:30 AM,
(08-25-2020, 12:43 PM)Scud Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 02:21 PM)zap Wrote: So, I discovered, if I take out just one file either the .org file. or map file. The scenario won't crash That tells me my rig can'take the data in the scenario? How can that be when I have so much memory 16 Gig. and an i7 motherboard? the question is what can I do on my end to resolve this issue?

I doubt it's your computer. I7 and 16 gigs is WAY more than this game was meant for back in 1998 and not much has changed. You could update your graphics card driver if you're using one, but it sounds like more of a corruption. Is Dan's file the only one you're having an issue with? If so, delete the old files and download it again. After that if you're still suspicious of your computer then I would say to update all your drivers. IObit has a free driver checker/updater that works well. I'd update each driver one at a time in case there's an issue. The application has a rollback feature if you do. Also, make a restore point before you do anything, just in case. I've used it and was very impressed. It even has a game mode that automatically kills background processes that might interfere when you're playing: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Dave

Thanks Dave.

So I took out the scenario files and re-installed. Same result. Then I updated my 1060 NVIDIA 4meg card also Intel video and sound then I re-installed scenario files did not work. 

So I'm now thinking I may be missing a WF file as Dan has been discussing in his post. I'm wondering if someone can tell me which ones I could look for that might be the cause.

I think your suggestion IObit was a good one. It found and repaired some data issues. The booster found many updates needed. I was able to install several. However, the Intel updates caused issues with my computer. I had to use the restore point to get computer use back.
08-26-2020, 03:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 03:38 AM by Scud.)
(08-26-2020, 02:30 AM)zap Wrote: I think your suggestion IObit was a good one. It found and repaired some data issues. The booster found many updates needed. I was able to install several. However, the Intel updates caused issues with my computer. I had to use the restore point to get computer use back.

Nice, that's why it pays to take all the precautions, so you did it right. Sorry it didn't resolve your issues, though.

At this point I'd be looking at reinstalling the game, but, though a long shot, you could try downloading "WhoCrashed" from here: https://www.resplendence.com/main. Scroll down to find it on the list. WhoCrashed is a Windows crash dump analyzer. Get the free home edition. When it's installed, open the game and make it crash again, then check to see if WhoCrashed reports anything. NOTE: It probably won't. If it doesn't you can delete it or keep it, but it won't help with this issue.

Again, though, is this problem only happening with Dan's scenario?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-26-2020, 04:06 AM,
(08-26-2020, 03:37 AM)Scud Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 02:30 AM)zap Wrote: I think your suggestion IObit was a good one. It found and repaired some data issues. The booster found many updates needed. I was able to install several. However, the Intel updates caused issues with my computer. I had to use the restore point to get computer use back.

Nice, that's why it pays to take all the precautions, so you did it right. Sorry it didn't resolve your issues, though.

At this point I'd be looking at reinstalling the game, but, though a long shot, you could try downloading "WhoCrashed" from here: https://www.resplendence.com/main. Scroll down to find it on the list. WhoCrashed is a Windows crash dump analyzer. Get the free home edition. When it's installed, open the game and make it crash again, then check to see if WhoCrashed reports anything. NOTE: It probably won't. If it doesn't you can delete it or keep it, but it won't help with this issue.

Again, though, is this problem only happening with Dan's scenario?

Dave

Oh yes, I thought I mentioned, that all other scenarios even the large Devil's  Bridges scenario works fine.
08-26-2020, 04:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 04:25 AM by zap.)
I do remember when first playing Bridges. I was missing a file for the Bulgarians. which caused a crash during that game. Could it be a similar situation here? I'm not sure how many different nations are present? But like i said, If I take the .org file out, I can get the map and scenario to come up without a crash. I'm missing all the units when I do that.
08-26-2020, 04:43 AM,
(08-26-2020, 04:24 AM)zap Wrote: I do remember when first playing Bridges. I was missing a file for the Bulgarians. which caused a crash during that game. Could it be a similar situation here? I'm not sure how many different nations are present? But like i said, If I take the .org file out, I can get the map and scenario to come up without a crash. I'm missing all the units when I do that.

I just downloaded it and tried. I have no problems, but I've played it before, so not unexpected. I'm wondering, since you have so many custom scenarios, maybe somewhere back in time a file, like a .bmp was modified in one of the custom scenarios? Or a file the scenario needs has become corrupt? Kind of a pain, but you could download the game again from Matrix, but install it to a different area on your computer. That way you'd have a fresh install, but still have the older version with all the custom stuff. There will be a screen when installing that will have a path to the recommended install area, just change it to somewhere else.

Afraid I'm stumped at this point if a new install doesn't fix it. I bet it does.

Good luck,
Dave
Send this user an email
09-15-2020, 01:36 PM,
If one of the many downloaded scenarios includes A Blunt Battleaxe, the zip file for that scenario contains platoon02.obx and platoon02.oob which seem to cause the crash after they've replaced the official files of those names. I've also seen some other odd behaviors since picking up those files. You can probably do a new install into another directory and copy those two files from the new install into the older install, saving all of your custom scenarios (I went the other way and copied the problem files into a working install and made it crash). I suspect that this change will break A Blunt Battleaxe, but haven't verified that.
09-15-2020, 01:39 PM,
Should have mentioned, the bad platoon02 files are about 21k in size, the good ones are 44k.