• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS - Viet Nam
06-05-2019, 11:59 AM,
JTCS - Viet Nam
Curious to know who among us will be buying into JTCS - Viet Nam when it's finally released. 

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2019, 02:13 PM,
RE: JTCS - Viet Nam
(06-05-2019, 11:59 AM)Scud Wrote: Curious to know who among us will be buying into JTCS - Viet Nam when it's finally released. 

Dave

Yes I will buy it.  Cigar5
06-05-2019, 06:01 PM,
Yes, I will buy it too.

John Cigar5
06-05-2019, 10:25 PM,
Same because it is an untapped area for the most part and it is supposed to include the French during the 50s as well. I also think it could make a good PBs game as well as PzCs if it can be worked out.
06-05-2019, 10:54 PM,
I probably will too. Hamster Wheel
But, if I have the same experience as ME I will most likely give it away ... too. Whistle

Farmer

HSL
06-06-2019, 07:46 AM,
(06-05-2019, 10:54 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: But, if I have the same experience as ME I will most likely give it away ... too. Whistle

I think you gave up on ME too soon Ed, IMO. It's not that bad. Problem with it, I find, is it's hard to find the good H2H scenarios. Too few of us play these games on a consistent basis, so we don't have the ratings like those that were built in the WWII game, mostly from 1999 to 2010 or so. So picking a good ME scenario is a crap shoot. Plus no one is building any new custom scenarios for it and certainly no testing going on. Kind of a shame.

I'm worried Viet Nam will go the same way as ME, but I plan to buy it too. Maybe we could kick off it's release with a tournament. We'd all be rookies, so fair fights and all the scenarios would be unknown. Mirrored games. Dunno, but enough of us right in this thread to start?

Just a thought.  Smile
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-06-2019, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM by Big Ivan. Edit Reason: typo )
A lot of what Dave says is true.

But I will add this, all or most of us JTCS guys were not weaned on the Middle East. Our vision and tunnel vision I might add is based solely through the years on the one and only World War 2!!

Our breath, our eyes, our hearts and our minds are fixated with that war. When you take us out of that history window we get confused, puzzled, anxious and eventually pissed because its not World War II!! Its not the D-Day invasion, its not sweeping tank battles across the Russian steppes, its not running across the Western Desert or slogging through the mountains of Italy.

Think, Think guys, when we were young men growing up with our first board war games it wasn't the Middle East but it was WWII! I think I had 20 board WWII games before I even saw a Middle East war game and that's the freaking truth!!

What I'm trying to say is don't shelve CSME or CS'Nam based on past prejudices. Warfare changed a sh*t load since those days 75+ years ago. CSME is different in its execution but I still love playing around with it. I've made a couple of scenarios with CSME and I do wish I had more time to make more!

As for CS'Nam I feel it will blow your ass away because the War in Vietnam is nothing like WWII or the Arab-Israeli Wars. Battles in 'Nam were not fought with tanks banging away at each other but instead tanks were used in infantry support. Helos ruled they day because he who got there the fastest with the mostest usually prevailed. But lets not forget about "Charlie" he was a devious clever foe!! He would show up for a few minutes, do his damage and then be gone back into the jungle.

If the Dev Team can, and I feel they will, pull off what the war in Vietnam was like, hell I'll by a few copies and give them to the younger generation coming up behind me. Hell I was a teenager and lived through that war almost every night on the family TV. Its part of me, I can't forget it.

A year or so ago I reached a crossroad with the Campaign Series. I see where its going and I love and embrace it. I also remember where it came from and I still love its past and where it came from. Hence my inner conflict.

But I figure I'm not getting any younger and I have spent so much time with CS, 20 years now, I want to see where it goes. In my mind the possibilities are endless!

Ivan the Big Cigar5
06-06-2019, 01:24 PM,
Here is my opinion on CSME. Don't own it. Modern war tactical level brings with it a change of tactics (los) is a bitch.  Battling, at such long distance I just don't have any desire for it. And modern desert war magnifies the un-attractiveness 10 fold. Middle east battle was so lopsided.

I'm not so sure of Vietnam but it does have my interest much more then the CSME. I will wait to get a varied opinion of the game before (if) I purchase.
06-06-2019, 07:36 PM,
I'll wait and see but probably a no from me, not my kind of thing & I'm not playing much at the moment.
06-07-2019, 12:47 AM,
(06-06-2019, 07:46 AM)Scud Wrote: So picking a good ME scenario is a crap shoot. Plus no one is building any new custom scenarios for it and certainly no testing going on. Kind of a shame.

Just a heads up, after VN is released, ME will be getting upgraded.

This will include creating Lua files for all the standard scenarios and revising them.
Send this user an email