• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
11-27-2015, 06:31 AM,
RE: movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
(11-26-2015, 08:06 PM)Laza Wrote: Speaking of foreign war movies any one seen this one about SS estonia Legion and if so any good?

Youtube Estonia 1944

I missed this at the movies, so have to wait for the blu-ray to come out in January. What I've seen it looks like a worthy addition to any modern WW II collection, despite of its relatively low budget. Lots of authentic gear it seems, that's always a plus isn't it
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2015, 06:44 PM,
(11-27-2015, 06:31 AM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 08:06 PM)Laza Wrote: Speaking of foreign war movies any one seen this one about SS estonia Legion and if so any good?

Youtube Estonia 1944

. Lots of authentic gear it seems, that's always a plus isn't it

It certainly is :)
02-10-2016, 04:03 AM,
(11-27-2015, 06:31 AM)Battle Kat Wrote:

Youtube Estonia 1944

I missed this at the movies, so have to wait for the blu-ray to come out in January. What I've seen it looks like a worthy addition to any modern WW II collection, despite of its relatively low budget. Lots of authentic gear it seems, that's always a plus isn't it

It finally released on Bluray so ordered the flick and watched it. With a budget of some USD 2M, not too shabby. Think "Saints and Soldiers". If you liked that, you'll like this. If you thought it was too cheesy, well there you go.

Lots of authentic gear, begins with Estonian SS Volunteer protagonists killing faceless Soviets, continues with Estonian Red Army protagonists killing faceless Nazis, at the end lots of Estonians and people from neighboring countries at both sides. Does not make (too much of) a moral story, it was how it was.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-10-2016, 04:10 AM,
Appears someone's uploaded the whole movie to Youtube, albeit no subtitles,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpTntuuyl8
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-10-2016, 05:10 AM,
Hi Friends,

I can battle cat only agree. The battle scenes are really good, especially the defense of the Russian attack at the beginning of the film and the counterattack of Estonians to conquer the trenches back. The storyline is weak and then the Russians turn the tables and go for combat other way around.
The hero of the film all die, just like that.

Unfortunately, the advertised I film "My honor what Loyalty Leibstandarte" is much weaker. I can not recommend the purchase.
Send this user an email
02-10-2016, 06:37 PM,
^^ Yes indeed, regarding the storyline. Hence the point about Saints and Soldiers, which imho was a bit weak in that side of things as well, while being simply marvellous as from the visual point of things. Master camerawork and visual experience in both films.

The battle for the Sinimaed hills in the beginning was easily where most of the budget must have gone. The artillery barrage depicted there certainly made me duck too, with shaking cameras and deep thuds blasting out from the stereo system.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-10-2016, 10:22 PM,
Thanks for the heads up guys

I have to check it out on youtube
02-12-2016, 03:38 AM,
I just remembered the Battle for the Tannenberg line is covered in a EF scenario as well.

Here goes: Bitter Glory at Tannenberg: LINK.

Quite a bitter battle, indeed!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-12-2016, 12:25 PM,
I watched some of it on UT, that opening scene really makes me go WTF? Why the hell is the MG42 ammo three miles away, and then he goes and grabs a single can, brillant!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-12-2016, 04:06 PM,
(02-12-2016, 12:25 PM)Weasel Wrote: I watched some of it on UT, that opening scene really makes me go WTF?  Why the hell is the MG42 ammo three miles away, and then he goes and grabs a single can, brillant!

I think what's happened is that their commander has placed the Battalion HQ so far out of harms way, it has a negative effect on the platoons Combat Effectiveness. 

As seen in the beginning, the platoon begins their turn watching the replay of the enemy artillery phase, then seeing the enemy come out in mass. They are out of HQ Range in the beginning, but get a lucky roll and regain their Supply. Yet they seem to be in risk going out of Supply again for the very next turn. Luckily, their Mortars were not Out of Ammo for this crucial turn. 

Then, they played it clever, caused first Disruptions to so many Soviet units as possible, and then destroyed them as they were not able to approach. Helping in this effect was the fact that the German Sniper unit was able to kill the Soviet Leader which was alone in its hex.

Also, they are obviously playing with Armored Facing = OFF, for even their 45mm ATG seemed to score a frontal hit on a T-34. The 45mm was unlucky to have lost its Concealment after firing though, and got wiped out pretty soon. 

Propeller Hat
Visit us at CSLegion.com