• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

re: scenario design
11-17-2011, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011, 03:50 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: re: scenario design
Gents: :smoke:

Excerpt from page 92 - CS User Manual:

"Maintaining Supply – A unit attempting to maintain supply does so through its “parent” Headquarters. If a platoon’s parent (e.g., battalion) Headquarters is not on the map, the program will search the map for other Headquarters commanding that unit; e.g., the unit’s regimental or
divisional Headquarters. The program measures the range that the unit is from its parent Headquarters, and uses this range to determine a base probability. It then makes a percentile die roll and supply is maintained
if that die roll is less than or equal to that base probability. Basically, the closer the unit is to its Headquarters, the better its chance of maintaining supply. (If in the same hex as it’s Headquarters — and that Headquarters is “in supply” — supply will be maintained automatically.) If the unit’s parent Headquarters is not currently on the map, it uses that Headquarters’ parent Headquarters instead."

"If a unit fails to maintain supply via its Headquarters, the program then checks for supply again, but this time using the friendly side’s base ammo level (turn on the Unit to display the base ammo level; Hot Key U). When checking to maintain supply, using the base ammo level, a percentile (0-99)
die roll is made and compared to that side’s ammo level. A die roll equal to or less than this ammo level means that the unit maintains supply. If the die roll is greater than the ammo level, that unit will be Low on Supply for the current turn."

Summary - "regular" combat units (non-HQ's) will attempt to maintain supply through their parent HQ's (e.g. battalion HQ)... and if not, these units will search for regimental or divisional HQ's within the regular units' command "umbrella."

If the regular combat units fail supply via their HQ's, these units check for supplies using the base ammo level.

So, Earl.... if your regular combat units can't trace supply to their HQ's... they'll still do a base ammo level check.

Again, depending on the overall ammo levels per side... and "lucky" dice rolls, regular combat units (non-HQ's) can be "re-supplied" without HQ's being on the map.

I learned a lot about supply today! cheers
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-17-2011, 05:52 AM,
I think that, in the same way some want scale to mean that along with all matters relevant to scale equally, I like to see an Army formation to have leaders in it for realism.
I can see some designers may be trying to create a certain 'feel' in their design but also, I think
some scenarios are a case of, manually adding leaders is omitted by accident, especially when I see some oobs where units have no parent units cos they weren't created correctly?
As for personal scenario designs, I have to say that, I have seen too many detrimental, personal comments made in the past about some peoples' work, to probably dissuade me from making them public at all, I'd rather play them with those that enjoy them for what they are, fun, within my own circle!
11-17-2011, 06:06 AM,
RE: scenario design
(11-17-2011, 05:52 AM)Glint Wrote: As for personal scenario designs, I have to say that, I have seen too many detrimental, personal comments made in the past about some peoples' work, to probably dissuade me from making them public at all, I'd rather play them with those that enjoy them for what they are, fun, within my own circle!

That's too bad Peter? :chin:

In an earlier post (Post #23) of this thread, you mentioned play testing your scenario designs with friends... and than making your creations available to Blitz CS players?

IMO, most CS players welcome new scenarios to play? There are some great and "classic" EF, WF, and RS scenarios... but the mediocre and just plain "not very good" ones dominant the CS database?

Hopefully, scenario designers are not "put off" by a few individuals' criticisms... after all, "constructive" criticism goes a long way to improving scenario designs?... and are willing to upload their creations for all to play and enjoy? :cool2:

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-17-2011, 07:06 AM,
Yeah KK and you never know, that may happen one day? - When I feel right about it.
I agree, the database does contain a lot of what I would call mediocre scenarios, whereas
others may like some of them. I'd certainly not discredit a scenario anyone took the time to create apart from, as you say, use constructive criticism.
Unfortunately, that hasn't always been the case here?
Anyway, we're starting to stray away from the spirit of my thread, which was a genuine question and has had some informative answers and good discussion so far.
11-17-2011, 08:38 AM,
(11-17-2011, 05:52 AM)Glint Wrote: I have seen too many detrimental, personal comments made in the past about some peoples' work, to probably dissuade me from making them public at all, I'd rather play them with those that enjoy them for what they are, fun, within my own circle!

You may want to develop thick skin? :smoke:
I took a different approach. When I was told that one of my scenarios "sucked" I named my next scenario files "this really sucks". It's one way to do it? :dunno: ;)

Are your "circle" all ladder members? :chin:

cheers

HSL

11-17-2011, 09:09 AM,
(11-17-2011, 03:46 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: :smoke:

Excerpt from page 92 - CS User Manual:

"Maintaining Supply – A unit attempting to maintain supply does so through its “parent” Headquarters. If a platoon’s parent (e.g., battalion) Headquarters is not on the map, the program will search the map for other Headquarters commanding that unit; e.g., the unit’s regimental or
divisional Headquarters. The program measures the range that the unit is from its parent Headquarters, and uses this range to determine a base probability. It then makes a percentile die roll and supply is maintained
if that die roll is less than or equal to that base probability. Basically, the closer the unit is to its Headquarters, the better its chance of maintaining supply. (If in the same hex as it’s Headquarters — and that Headquarters is “in supply” — supply will be maintained automatically.) If the unit’s parent Headquarters is not currently on the map, it uses that Headquarters’ parent Headquarters instead."

"If a unit fails to maintain supply via its Headquarters, the program then checks for supply again, but this time using the friendly side’s base ammo level (turn on the Unit to display the base ammo level; Hot Key U). When checking to maintain supply, using the base ammo level, a percentile (0-99)
die roll is made and compared to that side’s ammo level. A die roll equal to or less than this ammo level means that the unit maintains supply. If the die roll is greater than the ammo level, that unit will be Low on Supply for the current turn."

Summary - "regular" combat units (non-HQ's) will attempt to maintain supply through their parent HQ's (e.g. battalion HQ)... and if not, these units will search for regimental or divisional HQ's within the regular units' command "umbrella."

If the regular combat units fail supply via their HQ's, these units check for supplies using the base ammo level.

So, Earl.... if your regular combat units can't trace supply to their HQ's... they'll still do a base ammo level check.

Again, depending on the overall ammo levels per side... and "lucky" dice rolls, regular combat units (non-HQ's) can be "re-supplied" without HQ's being on the map.

I learned a lot about supply today! cheers

Try it in the game and then tell me how many of your units get resupplied after firing without an HQ..........if this is true why would you even bother to put an HQ in the scenario at all.........and if you lower the base ammo level too much the arty is almost always out of supply.......I'll stand by my experiences........a unit with no HQ will almost never resupply.........somewhere in that manual it says if a unit goes low on ammo due to firing it can only resupply thru it's parent HQ......that's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
11-17-2011, 09:30 AM,
Page 92 of the game manual:

"If a unit fails to maintain supply via its Headquarters, the program then checks for supply again, but this time using the friendly side’s base ammo level (turn on the Unit to display the base ammo level; Hot Key U). When checking to maintain supply, using the base ammo level, a percentile (0-99) die roll is made and compared to that side’s ammo level. A die roll equal to or less than this ammo level means that the unit maintains supply. If the die roll is greater than the ammo level, that unit will be Low on Supply for the current turn."

Page 78 & 79 of the Rising Sun manual:

"If a unit fails to maintain supply via its HQ, the program then checks for supply again, but this time using the friendly side’s base ammo level (turn on the Unit List to display the base ammo level; Hot Key U). When checking to maintain supply using the base ammo level, a "percentile" (0-99) die roll is made and compared to that side’s ammo level. A die roll equal to or less than this ammo level means that the unit maintains supply. If the die roll is greater than the ammo level, that unit will be Low on Supply for the current turn."

Almost exactly the same?

I assume that Rising Sun uses the supply system that WF and EF have?

cheers

HSL
11-17-2011, 10:08 AM,
(11-17-2011, 09:09 AM)Von Earlmann Wrote: Try it in the game and then tell me how many of your units get resupplied after firing without an HQ..........if this is true why would you even bother to put an HQ in the scenario at all.........and if you lower the base ammo level too much the arty is almost always out of supply.......I'll stand by my experiences........a unit with no HQ will almost never resupply.........somewhere in that manual it says if a unit goes low on ammo due to firing it can only resupply thru it's parent HQ......that's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)

Earl - You are correct sir! :bow:

You were so adamant on your views... and I do respect both your opinions and scenario designs... that I decided to investigate further into the CS Manual... and discovered the following! :eek1:

Excerpt from page 93 User Manual:

"Regaining Supply – At the start of each friendly turn, a supply check is made for each non- Isolated friendly unit that is currently Low on Supply. The procedure is the same as for maintaining supply, except that the base ammo level is not used (i.e., supply can be regained only via a friendly
Headquarters as described above).
There is only one exception: Indirect Fire units check to regain supply only using their side’s base ammo level. If there is no higher-level HQ on the map for a unit, it will be unable to regain supply."

Looks like we all need to "turn a page" here? :chin:

Send this user an email
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011, 10:46 AM by Jason Petho.)
So basically, if I understand correctly, it boils down the first check is to see if the unit that has fired the previous turn will go into out-of-supply status (page 92) and the second check is to see if a current out-of-supply unit will regain supply (page 93).

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM,
HSL - ''You may want to develop thick skin?
I took a different approach. When I was told that one of my scenarios "sucked" I named my next scenario files "this really sucks". It's one way to do it?

Are your "circle" all ladder members?''

Nah, got plenty of thick skin, just comes down to respect in my book for others' efforts.
Not sure what my 'circle' has to do with the subject of the thread really?
Anyway, think I've already made the point in post No.44?