• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes you would like to see
01-12-2010, 08:02 AM,
RE: Changes you would like to see
How about my idea in the OP of an AI fire for artillery only and an AI routine that would fire all available artillery at a chosen target?
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM,
bwv Wrote:How about my idea in the OP of an AI fire for artillery only and an AI routine that would fire all available artillery at a chosen target?

Sorry Steve - I must have missed it in the flurry. That of course and nobody jumped on it either.

Sound like something that might not be easy to do - for a start one would have to do it at teh start or at the end of the turn and in general more people (NOT ME for the record) like more control - not less. However if we (and I me WE AS A GROUP of players and interest parties - not you and me) want to consider something for Extreme FOW and that would fit, perhaps it could fit into that.

Unfortunately though we're the minority in a group of people who normally bitch when they step on Friendly Mines (as if there is such thing as friendly Mines) and generally reject less control.
Send this user an email
01-12-2010, 11:43 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:
bwv Wrote:How about my idea in the OP of an AI fire for artillery only and an AI routine that would fire all available artillery at a chosen target?

Sorry Steve - I must have missed it in the flurry. That of course and nobody jumped on it either.

Sound like something that might not be easy to do - for a start one would have to do it at teh start or at the end of the turn and in general more people (NOT ME for the record) like more control - not less. However if we (and I me WE AS A GROUP of players and interest parties - not you and me) want to consider something for Extreme FOW and that would fit, perhaps it could fit into that.

Unfortunately though we're the minority in a group of people who normally bitch when they step on Friendly Mines (as if there is such thing as friendly Mines) and generally reject less control.

what I am thinking of would be pretty simple - the same thing as the AI firing option but limited to artillery. More complicated would be to build a routine into the artillery dialog that would fire all available artillery units on a selected target. Someone who wanted to micromanage their artillery still could
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM,
[quote=bwv]
How about my idea in the OP of an AI fire for artillery only
Quote:This involve the AI making judgements on targetting anf that is complicated

[quote]
and an AI routine that would fire all available artillery at a chosen target?

This is not something John is interested in making easier for players. You can highlight an arty units and see valid targts for that unit, but he isn't interest doing. I recall someone asking for the inverse of this routine - highlight an enemy unit and find all arty units that can fire at that unit and that idea was regected. So somehing that automates and makes easy firing at such a target isn't a direction that is desired to pursue.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM,
On the subject of dialog boxes....

If making dialog boxes malleable to re-size is not in the cards, could a few of the dialogs be made bigger, though still static?

Examples:
Air Mission Dialog
[Image: AirMission.jpg]
When playing the Russians in many of the East Front games, the air forces involved are tied to certain army or front commands. They are not available for all ground units to call on, only the ground units tied to the same organization. (Note the highlighted and grayed out air units in the example above.) This is not a problem to have the air units tied to a subset of the entire ground forces. It is confusing, and quite time consuming to map these relationships out of game. The dialog box is too small to show the full information. One can see there is additional information, but no horizontal scroll bar or a large enough dialog box to see the information.
Kind of defeats the purpose of having the additional detail in the game.

Deception Unit Dialog
[Image: DeceptionUnit.jpg]
This is the only dialog box in the game IIRC, to include hex coordinates without the click and go feature. To elaborate, all other dialog boxes contain coordinates allowing the player to click on a line item and have the focus set on the hex in the map where the unit is, or will arrive.
This one does not. It is cumbersome to note the location of the units, then exit the dialog box to locate them, decide if you want them changed to deception status at this time based on your "on map" observation, then return to the dialog box to execute your decision.
Much easier if you could click on the unit line in the dialog box and jump to its location on the map.

Release Dialog
[Image: Release.jpg]
The dialog for releasing fixed units is too small... period. (Note the size of the elevator in the example above. Large numbers of lines in this dialog are very common. The increased use of the method placing reinforcement units on map in FIXED status instead of coming from off board using the Scheduled dialog causes this dialog box to be of greater importance than in the early titles. The increase in information makes this dialog much harder to read.

The Scheduled dialog...
[Image: Scheduled.jpg]
...is twice as big as the Release dialog. Could the release dialog be made at least as big as the Scheduled dialog to reduce the amount of scrolling? Maybe even just copy the format of the Scheduled dialog over to replace the format in the Release dialog thus adding the Current Date and Time information box to the release dialog. Would this be as easy as it sounds? A big gain for little relative effort?

Those are the dialogs with the largest impact on user satisfaction IMHO. These are the ones most used in my experiences and discussions with players.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:On the subject of dialog boxes....

Yes - I think this is doable.
Send this user an email
01-12-2010, 06:40 PM,

If making dialog boxes malleable to re-size is not in the cards, could a few of the dialogs be made bigger, though still static?

Dog Soldier

Good call on that one Dog Soldier, everything u mentioned reminded me of the same thoughts ive had at one time or another over the years and made me laugh.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-12-2010, 11:56 PM,
How about being able to go to released units in the Command Report box like you can go to units that undisrupted etc? In some of the larger scenarios it is a real pain to find the one or two units that were released.
01-13-2010, 12:29 AM,

Very clear and valid points. Those are precisely the little irritations I've been experiencing too, but I didn't fully realize it until I read your comments.
01-13-2010, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2010, 03:56 AM by Hank.)
Thanks GS for the kind replies. You never cease to amaze me how patient you are with us.

I'm happy with anything or nothing. I still enjoy playing these games after many years just the way they are. But, I'll have fun with any new goodies you guys add on.

Have a nice day.

... PS: and Mr. Soldier

"Dog Soldier Wrote:
On the subject of dialog boxes...."

you said it much better than I could ... thanks