• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hey Scud
01-09-2010, 10:59 AM,
RE: Hey Scud
OK, finally some suggestions. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, I were to drop the new rules. Who could I count on to start acting reasonably and in a mature fashion? Would everyone here who has posted, even though the rules weren't applicable to you, go along?

And what do I do about the guy who decides in a moment of anger he doesn't want to go along? Everyone OK that he be censored, banned, suspended? Remember, it might be you, so think about it. When someone does screw up, can I count on everyone to stand behind me? Not some, but everyone?

Many of you have stated you didn't like the fact that I can arbitrarily ban you for what I consider indiscretions. Not one of you pointed out that the opposite holds true as well. Is it OK now if I arbitrarily decide to give someone another chance? Will you accept that as is or will I have to explain myself every time I have to make a decision?

Do we do everything democratically? Think that will work? Someone posts a negative post, we'll all take a vote? How long, I wonder, will it be before cival war breaks out?

I'll think about any suggestion offered up, but I need more than I'm seeing so far.

What else?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 11:11 AM by junk2drive.)
I don't post much here but I'll throw something at you. Before it get to the point of banning, how about closing the offending threads. It always seems to me to start out semi civil, then begins to ramp up, then the button pushing starts, then...
If the offender starts another thread complaining about the lock, then deal with him quickly.
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Scud Wrote:OK, finally some suggestions. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, I were to drop the new rules. Who could I count on to start acting reasonably and in a mature fashion? Would everyone here who has posted, even though the rules weren't applicable to you, go along?

I think you can count on everyone acting reasonably. I think by in large everyone does and has. However when things get heated (and they just do) people can go astray. It is not intentional it just happens.

As for those who vowed not to post I am not sure they will come back, but I wish they would.

Quote:And what do I do about the guy who decides in a moment of anger he doesn't want to go along?

A moment of anger is one thing and could be an isolated incident. Someone else who goes out of their way to to cause trouble is a different issue.

Quote:Everyone OK that he be censored, banned, suspended?

I would think something like this would go along way to help.

1: PM the poster and ask him to self edit
2: If it is bad enough edit the post yourself (don't delete it) with a reason why it was eidited. PM the person with a warning.
3: If 1 and 2 do work then maybe some PM work to get at someones issue and resolve it.
4: Let them sit for 3 days.

I am sure everyone could live with this and back up 100% on this.
The steps are reasonable and clear.

I know I could. If I got a PM from you asking to modify a post I would.

Maybe award points like if you speed. So many points and you get suspended?

Quote:Remember, it might be you, so think about it. When someone does screw up, can I count on everyone to stand behind me? Not some, but everyone?

If applied fairly and evenly based on the issue at hand yes. I am not sure you can get 100% agreement, but 90%.

Quote:Many of you have stated you didn't like the fact that I can arbitrarily ban you for what I consider indiscretions. Not one of you pointed out that the opposite holds true as well. Is it OK now if I arbitrarily decide to give someone another chance? Will you accept that as is or will I have to explain myself every time I have to make a
decision?

Communication is the key. I simple post on why or what works really well when it is done up front and in the open. Consistency is the key. Judge the contentent of the post on its merit. Start everyone with a clean slate.

Quote:Do we do everything democratically? Think that will work? Someone posts a negative post, we'll all take a vote? How long, I wonder, will it be before cival war breaks out?

Bad idea here. The mods are the mods. This was tried once and resulted in a lot of problems (some of which still linger today). Toni can fill you in on the events of spring 2008.

Quote:I'll think about any suggestion offered up, but I need more than I'm seeing so far.

I actually think the memebers have done a really good job in self patching and fence mending. Maybe you could lighten up just a bit.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-09-2010, 11:29 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:I actually think the memebers have done a really good job in self patching and fence mending. Maybe you could lighten up just a bit.

Yep, I can. Not yet, though. First I need to see not just hear. You guys show me you can do this first.

Junk2drive, good ideas, your's too Hawk and Glint. Don't stop, keep going. We'll throw out the ones that won't work, keep the ones that will. OK?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-09-2010, 11:36 AM,
My suggestion: I say you stick to your guns, earn their respect and lead the house.

Why is everyone worried about what's going to happen to them if they post out of line :conf:
Not posting out of line and trying to engage in healthy discussion seems like the things we should be worrying about.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM by Jim von Krieg.)
Can we?

I think so!

I see a little bit of silver lining developing... I loved Erik's Olive Branch offer... We should work that line of advance so we can assault onto the objective of building the CS community.

And Dave... buddy... Are you trying to start a Revolution? Where is your head at, seriously Democracy at the Blitz? What the heck are you thinking?... This is a military dictatorship... Don't you see me sitting in my pretty and stylish throne chair in my Avataar photo?... I'll have the club political officer visit you to give you some nice travel brochures to our lovely Blitz re-education facility...

Regards,

Jim
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM,
Jim von Krieg Wrote:And Dave... buddy... Are you trying to start a Revolution? Where is your head at, seriously Democracy at the Blitz? What the heck are you thinking?... This is a military dictatorship... Don't you see me sitting in my pretty and stylish throne chair in my Avataar photo?... I'll have the club political officer visit you to give you some nice travel brochures to our lovely Blitz re-education facility...

Ha. I wasn't being serious, read the last sentence (merely trying to point out that it can't work). However, if the re-education facility is somewhere warm, well OK!
Send this user an email
01-09-2010, 02:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
RedDevil Wrote:Why is everyone worried about what's going to happen to them if they post out of line :conf:

The lines are unclear and moving that's why. The are admittedly vague.

It can be very difficult to know if you have crossed that line when the enforcement of the line is subjective.

What is offensive to you, may not be to me and may not be to Scud.

Or it may be offensive to Scud and not me or you. And so on and so on.

That is the issue people have.

Clear lines and fair enforcement is all anyone can ask.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM,
I like this idea, the CS Leadership will listen to all reasonable suggestions BUT remember any decisions will be made by the Club Leadership FOR the benefit of the Ladder as a whole NOT for individual members.

I await your suggestions !
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM,
Evidently only after a beat down by the LAPD...

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.