• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What Assault Rules do you want.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The old 1.02 version
10.98%
9 10.98%
The new 1.03 version
30.49%
25 30.49%
An option to use either
21.95%
18 21.95%
A comprimise between the two
34.15%
28 34.15%
Something completely different.
2.44%
2 2.44%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Assault Rule opinion poll
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM,
RE: Assault Rule opinion poll
Hi Jason - I am extremely happy to hear about what you and the beta team are working on for the assault rules - both the obvious fixes and the tweaking of the rules them self!

I am sure the other blitz members also will be happy to read your postings on where things are going.

Now I am more than anxious to see where matrix lands and the write-up you plan on putting forth.

Thanks for listening to us/me - very appreciative on my behalf!
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2008, 10:04 AM,
For god sake Jason.don't make us go back to having to disrupt units to make an assault..........PLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!

Earl
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
07-30-2008, 10:41 AM,
Von Earlmann Wrote:For god sake Jason.don't make us go back to having to disrupt units to make an assault..........PLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!

Earl

No worries, Earl.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
07-30-2008, 10:53 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:
Von Earlmann Wrote:For god sake Jason.don't make us go back to having to disrupt units to make an assault..........PLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!

Earl

No worries, Earl.

Jason Petho

I would not mind it as much as not being able to be successful in an assault against a surrounded, out of supply, disrupted one strength unit that was attacked multiple times from multiple hexes and never get captured, as the new rules allow. ;)
07-30-2008, 11:24 AM,
Von Earlmann Wrote:Gary,
I suspect the vulnerability of those ferdinands to infantry will finally actually happen.....being as they have an assault value of one and no longer have to be disrupted to be assaulted....oh yes they got the dog snot knocked out of them here.....as did the rest of the German attackers.....

I actually never figured this scenario would be very popular just because of the name.....it truly was "The Cauldron of Fire" :-)

Earl

Hah!! I say! LOL Earl! Big Grin

The Ferdinands are performing magnificently, better than they were ever advertised. A few companies are the lead for my northern most penetration. Elefants have pushed into the wooded area of Hill 253 and are within 500 meters of the VP hex. Where ever they put down their prehistoric tracks they become immovable... guess why... cause no assault can push 'em back. Place is crawling with Red infantry but the Elefants just shrug it off. :smoke:

How's that for history stood on it's ear by the rule book? :eek1:

BTW the scenario is fantastic! What a challenge to advance.

Jason,

Thanks for all the work, truly! Everyone involved has my gratitude for your time and efforts :bow:

I am however delighted to hear some changes are being made. :thumbs_up:
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM,
i am sure the boys at Matrix will get it right. just a bump in the road . besides the hiccups in the update i have been enjoying the new units. all these little touches are bringing new life and hopefully more players into the fold. give em time and all will be well.
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM,
I have not yet encountered any of the horro stories with assaults..........of course I don't close assault all that much...........I suspect there are way too many assults being conducted in the game anyway.

I still don't think the original rule(meaning the rule of the first EF game) was broken to start with..........but again don't go by me....I'm just an old guy.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-01-2008, 04:09 AM,
Therese nothing wrong with the new assault rules..move on!
08-01-2008, 04:11 AM,
Hi

Did this message get through to anyone or have people for got to read?

THERE IS A BUG IN THE ASSAULT RULES! The assault rules do have a bug and its not so much the rules as the units in some cases..its being worked on.

The assaults rules work fine if you get an armor an engineer/infantry to work together just like you properly should...

The former assault rules were also unrealistic..units died way too easily, the usual BS lazy tactic of surround, disrupt and destroy with a 100% success rate.

I have played this game for about 8 years and I would consider myself hardcore fan of it..Why is it that I dont have a problem with the new assault rules..they work fine, there are some bugs, they were found, samples sent to matrix and it will be fixed.

I certainly had no problems with close assaults in Tank Graveyard, what I did find is the AI has turned into a more than capable opponent in version 1.03...still got a major but I lost about 2x as many tanks as I normally would have..and yes the new assault rules did force me to change tactics..shoot the crap out of anything and than assault it. Very few commanders would order a close assault with out first pounding the enemy unit into dust..close assaults are for cleaning up the garbage thats left over when firepower has done its job..

If you dont like it play 1.02 till the close assault rule bugs are fixed, theres a few people still out there with it.

and Move on..get over it!

Osiris
08-01-2008, 04:20 AM,
Hi

I dont know what the big deal is for people with the new assault rules..read below:

If you look at how many of the original scenarios (probably more than half) in EF, RS and WF were designed under the old assault rules in the original TS version.those assault rules were simalar to the ones now...so in many ways the scenarios in the game have been designed with tougher close assault rules.

I think scenarios designed using TS version EF 1.03 and WF Gold and RS Gold might be more affected..that being said. Were not talking about adding 5-10 turns to those scenarios..maybe 1-3 turns max if any...so its easier if people just evolve and adjust their tactics.

Assault tactics need to evolve and adapt..so does tactical game play..I think Jasons is right on..Why on earth would you bother using a battalion to chase down a 1SP disrupted engineer...it cant do you any harm..it cant hurt anything..by pass it and move towards the objectives. Once the bugs is out you probably will be able to wipe out right away.

Tactical advice to those who are having a hard time with the assault rules..I find that it is far easier to kill 1SP units with direct fire than close assaults..and requires far less units and effort and more importantly saves time..and leave an escape route..easier to kill if its running about..

Having made an LCG for the previous version..I cant think of any scenarios where I would extend the lenght of the game to fit the current assault rules.

osiris