• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tips from the Frontline
12-06-2007, 06:11 AM,
RE: Tips from the Frontline
Waiting for the Initial Engagement

What would you say is really important for the defender to do? “Ideally, just sit quietly holding the flags until the end of the game without firing a shot...:) Remember - he can't kill you if he can't see you, so don't fire and give away your positions until you have to, or you'll face the full fury of a huge attacking force in your face. ('Have to' means when the enemy is getting awful, awful close and is about to see you anyway)

Of course you can always squeeze off an AT-gun or tank shot if you get a keyhole shot on an isolated section of his force when his main body can't see you. It’s best not to expose your tanks too much until you've gained intelligence about what tanks the enemy has got and where they are. "The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill" - Duke of Wellington

You can also open up anytime if several of your guns and tanks can all clobber his tank force at the same time, even if he is a superior force, because by getting the first blow in you'll hopefully give him a bloody nose and daze him enough to be able to keep hitting him over the following turns before he can get his act together to hit you back. "The day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." – Rommel. As always, play with your brain first and your weapons second.

Attacks work best with the slow methodical approach needing over 30 turns or more but I don't have the patience for it. For example, an Attacker might plump for a preparatory arty barrage, smokescreens, s skirmish line of cheap spotters on foot, engineers on hand to deal with any mines, a reserve force to be committed when the initial forces begin running out of ammo, etc. That's why I prefer ME chess games, far more exciting. And on the rare occasions when I do play Attacks (like now) I just buy loads of tanks and hurl them forwards, life is so much simpler that way.”

Well, I was waiting for the initial engagement but it was too quiet. My sharpshooters could see nothing; no movement at all. That could only mean one thing the attack was coming down the right. I ran the sniper in the centre to the large building on the right hand edge of the village. As he started to move the attack opened…
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2007, 06:33 AM,
Initial Engagement

The enemy tanks opened fire on the right-hand trench and spent the next minute laying down a withering barrage. If anyone had been in there they would not have survived.

[Image: Trenchdrawsfire.jpg]

I have only got sound contacts as I have no forward defenses on the right. The platoon on the hill cannot see them either due to the terrain. However, my sharpshooter arrives at the right hand building to witness the enemy forces simply roll forward and over the wire.

[Image: Tanksrolloverwire.jpg]

I was surprised that the wire didn't slow the tanks up a little more. So could I have put roadblocks there instead i.e. they are not just for roads? “Tanks just scrunch over wire without much delay. Yes you can put roadblocks off-road” and I was also expecting that the water there would bog the tanks as nearly every time I have been "near" water my tanks have bogged. “I knew the risk but it’s very slight so I accepted it because my tank approach corridor was narrow and I didn't have much elbow room.”

I thought that the attack on the right would suffer from one or two bogged tanks as it was so close to the water, instead they just sailed [!] through…
12-06-2007, 06:36 AM,
Evaluation of current situation and adaptation

The attack has been very successful so far. It has chosen an approach route that has let it arrive at the objective fully intact. The two main flags are straight ahead, just over 200m away but the terrain is a little open for infantry, however, with plenty of supporting tanks they will lay down a lot of HE beforehand and suppress any defenders. The objective now is for the scout car and/or infantry to probe a little to find the ATGs and other elements of the defense…

The defense has failed so far in the sense that the fire-sack is in the wrong place. The problem now is how to adapt to the new situation. I will move:
• The second sharpshooter to the centre as the one in the centre has shifted right
• The first sharpshooter back to a light building behind the church as it is highly probable the enemy infantry will try to use the trees for cover and make their way to it via the church
• Two Panzers closer to ATG “1” so that they can be deployed more quickly into the action and potentially provide additional firepower into the closest trees if needed to stop enemy infantry. They should also be able to look through the thinnest part of trees in the same way that ATG “3” can but I doubt if enemy tanks will move into their range as there is no reason for them to go to that location
• I will move the 81mm mortar spotter forward to target the trees where the enemy is congregating just out of sight and then I will let rip on the trees with the mortar
• All of the platoons will stay where they are:
o 1 platoon just behind the village in the woods with an HMG
o 1 platoon at the two small flags in the centre/left with an HMG
o 1 platoon at the two large flags on the hill in the centre/right

One of life’s ironies: I am nowhere near water or soft ground but I am the one that gets a tank bogged! I was moving the tanks up to the reverse slope and near ATG “1” so that they would be out of sight but able to deploy quickly.

[Image: Tankbogged.jpg]

At least the mortar spotter was able to move forward 30m without getting stuck :-)
12-06-2007, 06:42 AM,
The attack probes the defense

Once the mortar spotter is in place he lays down a little barrage to keep heads down:

[Image: MortarAttack.jpg]

As expected POS moves the scout car out to probe and see what would take a pot shot at it. “Yes it's there for one purpose only - to die – either by treading on mines and revealing their position so the main tank force can avoid them, or to probe ahead to provoke something into giving away its position by shooting at him. As always the main threat is AT-guns because they can lurk unseen in woods like cobras ready to violently strike, whereas enemy armour can be easily spotted. I heard tank ace Michael Wittman said he feared guns more than tanks too. PS your arty barrage just damaged a T-34 gun, thanks… it's suppressed half my infantry, now they'll just crawl around like wimps as usual, leaving the tanks to win the war on their own. Infantry are good for 3 things only - they sit holding the flagpoles, they flush out enemy infantry ambushes ahead of the tanks, and they lurk in cover ready to throw things at enemy tanks. Tanks win wars plain and simple, that's why they were invented..:) "That's what I need! That's what I want to have!" (Hitler to Guderian at Kummersdorf tank demonstration 1933) The scout car is lucky to avoid all of the mortar and makes it to the trees to its front. Shortly afterwards the tanks move forward and the infantry makes a rush to get to the trees in front. Concentrate strength at one point, force a breakthrough, roll up the flanks, penetrating like lightning deep into the rear before the enemy has time to react" (Rommel)

[Image: Advancetoflag.jpg]

However, some do not make it and are left dead in the open. The tanks meanwhile move up to the first flag and blast the area, sending two Axis squads reeling away in panic. The tanks then move behind the flags to try and rollup the defense from behind. Meanwhile the Allied infantry converge on the same flag under heavy mortar fire but without the defending Axis squads there to stop them they make it.
12-06-2007, 06:45 AM,
RNL Tiger Wrote:Purchase Phase
• 1 x Company
• 1 x Platoon
• 2 x Panzer IVH
• 2 x Sharpshooters
• 3 x 75mm ATG
• 2 x HMG
• 1 x AT Mine, 1 x AP mine, 5 x wire, 2 x trenches

I was also surprised when I saw my purchases as I had thought I had bought six machine guns but as always you need to adapt to the situation. I am also starting to appreciate that a battle can be won or lost [or made difficult] based on force selection, for example
1) Here I should have had more HMGs and a better selection of fortifications and probably more ATGs rather than the tanks
You should always have some tanks in defence I think. Your ATGs are fine....until it turns out you put them in the wrong spot. Always have some mobile anti-tank firepower....and the HE and MG fire is useful too.
Quote:4) I bought a mortar spotter in preference to three mortar teams because of the higher ammunition load, but when I used it I found it needed the higher ammunition load because the fire was spread over a much wider area
Mortars are great in a heavy woods map against a reasonable amount of infantry because of all the treebursts. The scatter is an advantage of sorts...because you'll have your targetting line 30 metres into the woods max but your shells will go all over the forest.

Having said that, in defence I have found that the best artillery support is a single spotter of the heaviest type you can afford, backed up with some TRPs for areas you can't see. You dole the shells out one salvo at a time as his attackers build up at a particular point, not before...no harrassment on the march, just smashing concentrations of attackers engaged in firefights.

Not so good against enemy tanks, although if a bunch of tanks will sit still long enough a salvo of 150mm is deadly.
12-06-2007, 06:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2007, 06:49 AM by RNL Tiger.)
Fight or flight for the first flag

The Axis platoon guarding the flag was ready to fight but not against infantry and three platoons of tanks and they take to flight from the heavy HE barrage. The Axis forces try to regroup, pulling back what remains of the platoon to the ATG at “2” and to protect the second main flag on the hill. The platoon near the village is recalled to the second major flag on the hill and they start to make their way up. The Panzers have a keyhole shot into the scattered trees to the right of the ATG but if the three platoons of Allied tanks roll straight forward through the scattered trees it will have no chance whatsoever. It seems clear that the Allies will bludgeon their way forward and so I orient the defense to receive them. Even so, 2 x 75mm ATGs, 2 x Panzer IV tanks and 1.5 infantry platoons are seriously out-numbered. Perhaps a smoke screen will help? I decide that a smoke screen will help matters for the defense. However, smoke is a double edged sword as it also covers the attack but given the numerically superior attacking forces it doesn’t seem sensible to opt for a straight shootout in full view and maybe the confusion of smoke will disrupt the attack. I also need to bring those Allied tanks forward for my second ATG at “1” to be able to engage properly as well. Smoke will help to achieve that. I am also concerned that my ATG at “2” is too vulnerable on its own and so I decide to send forward one of the Panzers and my reserve infantry platoon.

[Image: Defense3.jpg]

Just as I lay down the smoke the Allies push forward in force… The Allied infantry occupy the main flag on top of the hill and enter the edge of the scattered wood, the tanks look like they have stopped at the edge of the scattered woods and start firing at anything that moves. The smoke sends up a screen but there is a big gap and 1 Axis squad is caught like a rabbit in front of an on-rushing truck. The battle on the hill is about to enter a critical stage…

[Image: Sovietstakefirstflag.jpg]

So what’s the current situation? The defense is fully committed. The reserve platoon is in place on the right, the remains of the other platoon is on the left and ATG “2” and the Panzer are in the centre. In addition ATG “1” has some LOS into the area and so does the other Panzer. The platoon near the village is on its way up to the second flag on the hill to contest any further Allied advance.
12-06-2007, 06:57 AM,
Soviet Sickle slashes through the smoke

The Soviet sickle slashes through the smoke and begins its murderous death dealing. The opening minute sees the ATG and Panzer confronted with a target rich environment. The Panzer is so spoilt for choice that it spends valuable seconds traversing backwards and forwards and then finally fires into the ground it has time for one more shot and it has to count… He shoots and scores a knockout but is in turn knocked out by three other tanks. The crack ATG is sure of what target to shoot at but needs three shots to kill one tank, which is far too long in a fire-fight like this. He is now pinned by three tanks and is not long for this world.

[Image: Sovietschargethroughsmoke.jpg]

After the first 60 seconds the Allies have lost some units but that was to be expected when attacking. They can feel satisfied that they still have the majority of their tanks in tact and can now shoot-up the infantry in the area. The Axis can also feel satisfied that the smoke does seem to have worked in bringing the tanks forward and also providing some limited cover. The attack has lost three tanks for one Panzer although the ATG is looking like its time is up. The defense could have hoped for better gunnery but the attack probably feels the same. The next 60 seconds see the Allies establish the upper-hand, the distant ATG got off one shot, which again was completely ineffective before being knocked out. The ATG in the centre dies as expected, it was completely overwhelmed by the attack. The nearby infantry then get blasted…

[Image: Tanksdestroy2ATGs.jpg]

The defense is being taken apart and destroyed. The situation is becoming desperate on the hill. Whilst there is still infantry, an ATG and Panzer available to fight they are standing against at least two platoons of T34s and advancing infantry. The Axis gunnery being displayed so far, even by the crack unit, has not helped. Hopefully these last two units, which can stand against the T34s, will display a higher level of proficiency. They are bound to get their chance soon once the Allies have destroyed all of the nearby infantry.

The Allied tanks then go about their business of decimating the infantry, however, POS is not finished yet: “Here comes my Big Push. "This push will cheer me ever, or disseat me now" – Macbeth

The Allied tanks push forward – led by the scout car! The Panzer decides that the scout car is the highest priority target rather than the following T34s and scores a kill. In return the T34s knock it out before it can fire another shot. The last 75mm ATG fires at the leading T34 and after three shots scores a kill, another wonderful display of their lack of killing power even at close range. Currently it seems that my ATGs and Panzers want to club the enemy armour to death [to borrow POS’s terminology] rather than use a single precision kill-shot. However, it seems that when I am against these weapons they have a superb one-shot-one-kill capability! [As Der Kuenstler said “You Can’t Win ‘Em All”!]

[Image: TanksdestroylastPanzer.jpg]

The attack is reaching its crescendo: “At first it went exactly as I planned - my car racing out front followed by a gun-damaged T-34, both intended as bait to draw your panzers fire while my main T-34 body followed up closely to clobber the panzer. I lost both, but hey they were good for nothing anyway, and they did their job, allowing my main body to blow away the panzer. But shock horror - a gun joined in from somewhere and as yet I can't see it to return fire!"

The defense is holding on by its fingernails but is still contesting the second major flag on the hill and still has possession of the three minor flags.
12-06-2007, 07:02 AM,
Aside on spotted units during an engagement

Actually, I have a hard time of knowing when my units are spotted and not especially after they have engaged. I've seen numerous LOS posts but they usually focus on prior to engagement as opposed to post initial engagement. For example, in the above QB I had assumed that my ATG was now spotted so it was interesting [and good] to know that it is still lurking. “To find out if a unit of yours is spotted, click on it. If you see red and/or yellow 'light sabres' coming from enemy units towards it, you'll know they can see it and are firing or about to fire.

Guns usually fire 2 or 3 times before they're spotted, plus another couple of times while the enemy is turning his turret to engage, that's why tank commanders hate guns because an AT-gun can do a hell of a lot of damage with 5 shots. For example I could see your panzer and plan a neat attack on him because tanks are easy to see. But you can't plan an attack on an invisible unspotted gun in trees because you have to wait until it decides to fire, and only then will you spot it if you're still alive.
"

So if those lines are not present then the unit becomes a "spotted marker". Is it as simple as yellow = LOS/spotted; red = attack? I know that sound contacts may be close to the actual location or a fair number of metres away it. “Yes red means lockon, yellow means potential lockon, click different units to get a general idea of who can see who, but of course it can all change and fluctuate during the actual turn as conditions change. Infantry 'sounds' are a very unreliable indicator of where an enemy is, for example see the 'They Called Him the Ghost' picture in this thread, where the T-34s are getting infantry sounds from 30 metres outside the actual copse where a sniper is firing from. They could fire at the icon but it’s just a ghost, its not him. So area fire against 'sounds' icons is very imprecise and a waste of shells unless you've got lots and want to have a crack anyway. https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=39828
12-06-2007, 07:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM by McIvan.)
Red lines are outgoing fire, yellow lines are incoming fire....is that what you're talking about? Doesn't have anything to do with LOS/Spotted/attack.
12-06-2007, 07:48 AM,
The attack is spent

The Allied tanks withdraw and start to area fire against the other major flag on the hill. I am surprised that they have not ventured out to kill the ATG but given what POS has said about not seeing where the ATG is then maybe it’s not that surprising. [I guess he doesn’t know that my ATGs spend lots of time and shots getting a kill…]

“My Big Push failed when it ran into your last AT-gun, so I reversed my tanks and decided to sit tight shooting up your infantry for the rest of the game but the computer ended it on turn 20. You'd still have won even if it'd gone to 25 turns, I'd shot my bolt”

[Image: Attackends.jpg]

So, the Axis forces have held one of the major flags and all three minor flags. The Allies hold the major flag at the top of the hill and on the field of battle there is carnage.