• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
08-02-2007, 04:42 PM,
RE: The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
I think the same, Coil. BFC has only one (1) programmer, Charles, who has been never present on the forums, therefore everybody thinks he is a brain floating in a jar.

The guy is probably a genius, and produces lot of code. This is a lot easier if you don't need to share your ideas with others, but in the long run your bad decision can haunt on you.

Lot of people asked if they sell the source code of CMx1, but they always told it would be very hard to understand, it's messy and they don't have time for support.
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM,
kineas Wrote:I think the same, Coil. BFC has only one (1) programmer, Charles, who has been never present on the forums, therefore everybody thinks he is a brain floating in a jar.

let's hope this isn't true as everyone knows brains in jars usually end up in monstersBig Grin :kill:

:smoke:
08-03-2007, 12:52 AM,
RE:�� The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
08-03-2007, 01:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2007, 02:13 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE:��The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
Bootie Wrote:it just seems they released it to early and perhaps employ some new beta testers as they probably used some BF fanboys from their forums .... IMO too many yes men.

Yes, BFront should have asked around the CM community for testers, hell I'm unemployed and could have put in 16 hours a day on it for them.
I used to be a paid playtester/developer for Cases Computer Simulations years ago and worked on Desert Rats, Vulcan, Zulu Wars....
CCS - http://www.clive.nl/publishers/ccs/

HEY! - If there are any programmers out there, contact me and we'll produce our own games to show the world how it should be done, we'd make a great team, me with my 30 years of wargaming/military history experience and you with your stunning programming skills.. :)

[Image: isa.jpg]
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2007, 02:25 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE:��The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
kineas Wrote:I think the same, Coil. BFC has only one (1) programmer, Charles, who has been never present on the forums, therefore everybody thinks he is a brain floating in a jar.

Hey that reminds me of an old Star Trek episode where aliens surgically remove Spocks brain to use as a processor inside their super-computer.
Kirk eventually tracks him down -

SPOCK -"I'm not sure where I am captain"
KIRK - "You're a disembodied brain in a box"
SPOCK - "Fascinating"..

[Image: brain.png]

EPISODE -
http://homepage.mac.com/m5comp/trekbits/...index.html
08-03-2007, 02:02 AM,
RE: ��The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
PoorOldSpike Wrote:

Hey that reminds me of an old Star Trek episode where aliens surgically remove Spocks brain to use as a processor inside their super-computer.
Kirk eventually tracks him down -

SPOCK -"I'm not sure where I am captain"
KIRK - "You're a disembodied brain in a box"
SPOCK - "Fascinating"..

I like your posts POS, as they are funny and you dont take yourself to seriously ! - keep up the good work !.
08-03-2007, 04:36 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:HEY! - If there are any programmers out there, contact me and we'll produce our own games to show the world how it should be done, we'd make a great team, me with my 30 years of wargaming/military history experience and you with your stunning programming skills.. :)

Spike, I'll teach you how to develop software on a professional level. In exchange you could develop a stunning wargame-prototype (tanks only will be enough) for the community in your spare time. How about that? :)
08-03-2007, 06:47 AM,
RE:����The differance between CMx1 and "CM"x2.
kineas Wrote:Spike, I'll teach you how to develop software on a professional level. In exchange you could develop a stunning wargame-prototype (tanks only will be enough) for the community in your spare time. How about that? :)

I can't program for toffee mate, I'm a wargamer not a PC geek, computers bore me and i haven't the slightest desire to learn to program.
That's why I need to team up with a geek so's I can give him my outline for a game that'll take the world by storm, then leave him to program it, looking over his shoulder from time to time to tell him to tweak here, tweak there..
Then we'll neatly sidestep the hassle of having to package and market it by selling the finished product to a software house.
We'll split the proceeds 50-50 then get to work on the next game, and the next and the next..
After all, shops are full of crap rip-off games and I know I can sure as hell do a lot better than that.. :)
08-04-2007, 01:09 AM,
kineas Wrote:I think the same, Coil. BFC has only one (1) programmer, Charles...

:eek1:
08-05-2007, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM by von Nev.)
Hey RedDevil, You are the first I have heard that got a refund. Did you get a refund from BFC or a retail store where you bought it? Steve from BFC said the sales are rolling in better than when CMBO was launched. I am thinking they are going to be in real trouble if they have to start refunding people.

It is a crying shame that we may be watching the slow death of the Combat Mission series as we know it. :conf:

For the life of me I still do not know why they deviated so far from the tried and true CMx1 series. They had an incredibly loyal base that have been playing the game for 7 years(!) that they purposefully went against in developing CM:SF. They said that CMx1 WEGO was dead (something they created) because it interferred with their chain of command stuff. Sheesh. Nothing like throwing in so much realism that the game is so damn complicated that once launched and stressed by players the whole thing (for some players) is a nightmare.

Here is an open statement to BFC:

"Your loyal customer CMx1 base wants and will BUY a product if it has the following:
- Updated CMx1 with better graphics, improved AI (but not so much it destroys the game), better simulation of arty, and . . . . well, that's about it."

If they did this they would sell tens of thousands of units! Instead they sell something almost too realistic (tracking individual men, individual bullets, etc) that is very buggy and has now caused (apparently) a near revolt from some on the BFC boards and customers now returning their product.

Sheesh. What were / are they thinking?!?

Marty

P.S. For full disclosure I have not bought the game nor downloaded the demo. My system is three years old and needs a new graphics card before I will download.