• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Would you support giving POS his own area for Competitions that he could moderate himself?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I support this idea (comments below)
56.41%
22 56.41%
No, I do not support this idea (comments below)
20.51%
8 20.51%
I could care less.
23.08%
9 23.08%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would you support POS having his own Competition Section?
11-16-2007, 04:50 PM,
RE: Would you support POS having his own Competition Section?
I’m usually silent on most issues, but as an elite lurker I manage to keep abreast of what’s going on several CM forums. Of all the posters I’ve read over the years I can think of nobody (even JasonC over at Battlefront) that is more informative and useful to my own CM experience than POS with his amazing aptitude of setting up informative and thought provoking tests of the CM engine. Stuff I am actually able to use in my own games, not just random opinions or pontifications. On top of that I personally find his humor very entertaining and his picture posts really add a bit of atmosphere to the forum.

Since I don’t post, I know I don’t have the personal investment of time that others put into the forums. Most of the time I am completely neutral on issues that pot up among members do to that lack of involvement. On this issue I’m not though, and I feel that the people who are put off by POS are doing the CM and Blitz community a disservice by working against an idea which could be a very active and involving section of this website. Anyways, I know I’m starting to sound like a fanboy but like others have said, if you don’t like him, avoid his section. Nobody is hurt, some people benefit, seems like a no brainer to me.

And so long story short…
I voted yes for POS!
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2007, 08:18 PM,
I think its a good idea if there's a clear demarcation between the POS bit and the rest of the MB.

Outside of CM POS has some fairly extreme views which bubble to the surface every so often and I'd be happiest in a club that tolerated POS rather than supported him.

It should be stressed that this applies only to POS's views outside the game but as they do crop up occaisionally I think its relevant.
11-17-2007, 04:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2007, 04:12 AM by Fullhouse.)
As someone who has made substantial sums out of being able to accurately predict the future. (Short the pound btw) I hereby give the official 100% guaranteed prediction of what will happen if this proposition goes ahead.

1: Pos gets own sub section.
2: POS is colourful and CM is his life so this becomes the most active part of the forum.
3:Above goes on for a while.
4: POS at some point over steps the mark and or dispute breaks out within his subsection between him and moderators of site as a whole. POS persues this dispute in his typical melodramatic way.
5: This splits the forum into factions, pro the POS position, and anti the POS position. Given that the POS sub section was the most frequented and active part of the forum the pro POS camp is substantial probably more substantial than the pro full site moderator position.
6: Brother turns against Brother father against son,Uncle against Nephew and so on. (See FGM forum for historical case of the latter)
7:Things get ugly and there are tears before bedtime.
11-17-2007, 04:26 AM,
Fullhouse Wrote:As someone who has made substantial sums out of being able to accurately predict the future. (Short the pound btw) I hereby give the official 100% guaranteed prediction of what will happen if this proposition goes ahead.

1: Pos gets own sub section.
2: POS is colourful and CM is his life so this becomes the most active part of the forum.
3:Above goes on for a while.
4: POS at some point over steps the mark and or dispute breaks out within his subsection between him and moderators of site as a whole. POS persues this dispute in his typical melodramatic way.
5: This splits the forum into factions, pro the POS position, and anti the POS position. Given that the POS sub section was the most frequented and active part of the forum the pro POS camp is substantial probably more substantial than the pro full site moderator position.
6: Brother turns against Brother father against son,Uncle against Nephew and so on. (See FGM forum for historical case of the latter)
7:Things get ugly and there are tears before bedtime.

Cats and dogs living together, end of the world as we know it. I respect you fully M8, and understand exactly where you are coming from, but as Randy so meritoriously pointed out as his role of leader here, we need to stop with the negative waves, bashing fellow club members and really trying to apply ourselves towards constructive ends.

Now, I for one, have been one of POS's greatest skeptics, critics and general all around holder of the line against his often fierce litanies of self aggrandizing rhetoric. But I also genuinely like the guy for the card that he is, and suspect that given this chance, with the right structure in place and support, this may be a boon for the community.

Now if anyone ever remembers the Blade II movie, where the big ugly vampire gets the little explosive attached to his head for the sake of keeping him in line, I'm all for it, and think that if POS is to be a moderator in his own section, that 1) he will have a co moderator of sensible nature to keep POS on the level with respect to club rules 2) Randy will be the overall administrator and have final say over what goes on within, and will be his role to lead and supervise the activities of blitz staff (be it pseudo staff or otherwise). 3) I'm not sure that POS will need to have full moderating powers if a set of guidelines is established beforehand that can be easily done, setting out the purpose of the area and the rules to be followed.

Listen, if I had the time, I would definately try to emulate some kind of challenge or competition area, but simply do not have the time, nor the inclination... but I see the value in it. Think of this as harnassing the undead for their infinite and eternal energy, much like in that movie, I can't remember what it was... but it was pretty stupid, had Billy Connoly in it, and then when POS breaks out of his bonds and eats a few people's brains, we can just chain him back up, and when he escapes again, and eats a few more people, this time turning those people into undead people as well, who begin a chain reaction of brain chewing and killing that mobilizes the national guard, we can just drop a nuke on the blitz and start from scratch... right? Oh wait.. I'm arguing for POS here... damn...

Well just forget that last part and concentrate on the former.

Cheers!

Leto
11-17-2007, 04:32 AM,
I think that he deserves for this chance
Send this user an email
11-17-2007, 05:09 AM,
"Yes" vote from HS!
11-17-2007, 05:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2007, 05:59 AM by Fullhouse.)
I wansnt being negative. I am just making sure that when I say "I told you so" in about 6-18 months, it has alot more weight and is a great deal more satisfying.

However non of the vampire restraining measures you mention would have any effect of my chronology.

If the POS subsection becomes the main focus of this board, POS will see that as validation for whatever approach he wishes to take. If that approach is then moderated in some way that POS takes (inevitable) issue with then we have full scale forum war. POS allready tries to use the tactics forum to add weight to his numerous demands and sulks(and he has made demands let us be clear e.g. change clikies or I pull my tactics post etc etc). So there is clear evidence that he would use any popular POS subsection as leverage in some way as that has been his behavior to this date.

In fact this whole idea can be seen as a clear cut leverage.
11-17-2007, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2007, 06:16 AM by British Tommy.)
So why not try it out for 6 months to see how things work out? As Leto pointed out, with RD looking over old spikers shoulder to ensure he stays within the guidelines of the club, I think it would work. At the end of the 6 months, if the senior mods thinks it's more trouble than it's worth, just pull the plug on the whole thing.
Let's put out some positive vibes dudes! Big Grin
11-17-2007, 09:24 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
Listen, if I had the time, I would definately try to emulate some kind of challenge or competition area, but simply do not have the time, nor the inclination... but I see the value in it. Think of this as harnassing the undead for their infinite and eternal energy, much like in that movie, I can't remember what it was... but it was pretty stupid, had Billy Connoly in it, and then when POS breaks out of his bonds and eats a few people's brains, we can just chain him back up, and when he escapes again, and eats a few more people, this time turning those people into undead people as well, who begin a chain reaction of brain chewing and killing that mobilizes the national guard, we can just drop a nuke on the blitz and start from scratch... right? Oh wait.. I'm arguing for POS here... damn...

Well just forget that last part and concentrate on the former.

Cheers!

Leto

LMAO Big Grin
11-17-2007, 09:33 AM,
Fullhouse Wrote:If the POS subsection becomes the main focus of this board, POS will see that as validation for whatever approach he wishes to take. If that approach is then moderated in some way that POS takes (inevitable) issue with then we have full scale forum war. POS allready tries to use the tactics forum to add weight to his numerous demands and sulks(and he has made demands let us be clear e.g. change clikies or I pull my tactics post etc etc). So there is clear evidence that he would use any popular POS subsection as leverage in some way as that has been his behavior to this date.

In fact this whole idea can be seen as a clear cut leverage.

I don't think so, really. None of Spike's OTT demands to date have got him anywhere (as opposed to the odd reasonable complaint). Red Dev is not, in my experience, terribly susceptible to demands or sulking or leverage. If the worst case occured, the forum concerned would simply lose one moderator.

I reiterate that I think it worth a try, and that unwanted side effects can be well quarantined while harnessing Spikes undoubted positive energy for the benefit of the club.