• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What are your favorite units?
12-24-2009, 10:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2009, 10:40 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: What are your favorite units?

Jim von Krieg Wrote:T34/41, T34/43, T34/85... I use the first as my suicide drivers to soak up OPFIRE so the 43's can get in close and tear apart an enemy tank gun line...

Everyone's favourite! Surely the finest allround MBT at ETO. Reliable, mobile, deadly, appeared in numbers...

T34 M43
[Image: DSC01160.jpg]

T34-85 (KV-I behind him). A very serious and impressive beast, this one was. Left me mighty impressed...
[Image: DSC01159.jpg]

Larry Reese Wrote:SU/ISU-152 (bring on the bunkers, and, run little infantry man, run)

Nothing to add Whip

[Image: DSC01072.jpg]

Meanwhile, at the German bunker:
Knock knock...
Who's there?
ISU-152!
ISU-152 who?
Is U who'll-be-VERY-sorry-for-ever-knocking-our-door-that's-#%&##ing-who 152!

Jeez, would not want this bugger parking at my front door...

And finally, behold: the Mighty Sherman !!!
[Image: DSC01221.jpg]

Never seen one before, as it did not appaer at this side of world (war). Stood much taller and vulnerable than what I ever expected...

Kudos to the men who fought so hard in these tommy cookers, relying on their skill, courage and determination to conquer the battle fields from those hard hitting battle cats of Nazi origin. Flag

Merry Christmas to everyone! Toast
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2009, 05:09 AM,
Great photos, thanks for sharing. You really get a good impression when up close and personal.
12-26-2009, 07:40 AM,

Nice pics , Crossroads ! Thanks for sharing .. some of our younger members may not have ever seen those tanks up close and personal. This gives them some physical perspective.

Crummy me does NOT have any nice pics , however :

In the U.S. -- we have the Patton Armor Museum near Louisville, Kentucky, which has some WW2 and later models inside, including modern Russsian T72 ! A Panther, StugIII, PzIIIJ in African camo, T34/85, some Korean War - US M46, M47 , improvements of the M26 Pershing. I think .. a King Tiger, too.

The Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum ( near Baltimore,Maryland ) outdoors has a tank park with many tanks of the WW2 era from several nation combatants. Infantry weapons are inside.

Closer to my home area of Chicago,( in Warrenville , near Wheaton,IL west of Chicago ) the Cantigny 1st Infantry Division Memorial Museum has a tank park outside that displays a WWI light tank, M3 Stuart, a M24 Chaffee, some big US tanks ... M26 Pershing, M46 Patton, M47 Patton, M48 Patton , M60 , and I think also a M1 Abrams. There is also a M51 Sheridan ... so there is a good look at the post WW2 US tank development. You can climb onto these things and bust your neck, just to get a real good feel for the stuff, if you like.
The museum inside has a very fine living diarama of the WWI trench system that you can walk thru, and a WW2 recruiter's " welcome " area -with a sound bar of a DI to replicate the experience. A nice battle scene diarama of the Battle of the Bulge that has a M4A3/76 in the scene. Also, displays about the Korean War, Vietnam, and our recent Desert Storm (1991). Not bad at all, guys.

In NE Indiana ( Auburn ) there is another fine museum ( the National Military History Center's WWII Victory Museum ) indoors has a fine collection that includes a field mount FLAK88, and it is a tall weapon , big gun ! When I was there in 2004 , also had a US M18 Hellcat , rare to see one of those. Trucks ... Allied and Axis .. not glamorous , but by far a more common sight for any soldier then.

All of these museums are open to the public and a small donation is always much appreciated. If you ever get the chance ... stop in and enjoy , learn.

That is all. Relieved !
And ... " Good Luck to you " , Bud !
( Happy Holidays one and all ! )

Tom S.
5 Leichte Div
12-26-2009, 01:38 PM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:One of the units I would like to see is a motorized leader be able to get out of his staff car.

It is frustrating to have an infantry leader (motorized) not be able to go with his infantry into rubble, swamp, etc.

Also would love to see units (mountain, ranger, etc) that can scale cliffs (maybe utilizing a percent chance to go up the cliff).

Thanx!

Hawk

Absolultely agree, both cases!! Cliff climbers would include the Italian Alpini
12-26-2009, 02:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM by ArmyEsq.)
Splitting a platoon into squads or sections, a MG platoon into a MG teams, or a Tank platoon in sections of Tanks would, I think be a fantastic addition to the game system--especially for the smaller, less complex scenarios.

I also like the transport train and aircraft ideas.

Also, I too, vaguely remember reading something like this:

"I seem to recall reading somewhere that occasionally units do become "heroic" or "berserk" (for all you former ASL er's). I know I have occasionally run across an opponents unit that for whatever reason will not break/disrupt/or retreat no matter how much fire I pour onto the guy. I believe this is CS's way of bestowing a "heroic" characteristic on the unit for a turn. Of course the problem is we never know when one of our own has become "heroic"."

Anyone else out there?
12-26-2009, 02:39 PM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
One of the units I would like to see is a motorized leader be able to get out of his staff car.

It is frustrating to have an infantry leader (motorized) not be able to go with his infantry into rubble, swamp, etc.

Also would love to see units (mountain, ranger, etc) that can scale cliffs (maybe utilizing a percent chance to go up the cliff).

Thanx!

Hawk

I agree with Hawk. Outstanding idea.
12-26-2009, 02:55 PM,
Oops. We already have Troop Trains: Bootcamp 10 in East Front.
12-26-2009, 10:47 PM,
ArmyEsq Wrote:Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:
One of the units I would like to see is a motorized leader be able to get out of his staff car.

I'm wondering if an infantry leader could be mounted onto a halftrack etc..........????????

Might be worth exploring????
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
12-26-2009, 11:33 PM,
Von Earlmann Wrote:
ArmyEsq Wrote:Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:

I'm wondering if an infantry leader could be mounted onto a halftrack etc..........????????

Might be worth exploring????

I've put foot leaders in jeeps, scout cars, and on horseback in some of my more recent scenario designs. :smoke:
It can be done, the scenario designer just needs to work at it and replace motorized leaders with those on foot? :chin:

cheers

RR
12-27-2009, 04:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2009, 04:37 AM by ArmyEsq.)
How about sun blindness for desert scenarios? Or more extreme variations in dynamic visibility for scenarios in African desert to reflect the severity and suddenness of sand storms (i.e., a 3-5 hex difference in visibility instead of the normal 1 up or down)?