• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Little Challenge??
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM,
Thanks British Tommey!
Hi! I did the unzip and also checked that I had patch 1.03. When I looked at the Scenario Folder it was listed, but when I tried to do the Start New Game, it was not there! So, I decided to change the name of the file so there were no spaces, and still kept the .cme, and then all was working OK! Thanks for you help and I hope you enjoy the battle as well! Have a good one!
Ivan/Shep!The "HOG Ranger and Balkan Warrior" Still Riding the "Winds of Change" on the Dubrovnik Front!
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2009, 02:47 AM,
RE: A Little Challenge??
Now on minute 13 and it's been a hard slog so far. Ratzki is correct, his Russians are making mince meat of my Romanians :( It didn't help I screwed up the set up! What the heck, let's keep going! :)

I have used up all my artillery now on the Russians guarding the flags and bridge. I was hoping to save some for the flag near the end of the map. Those Russians guarding the bridge must be fanatics as it seems no amount of firepower I put on them can wipe them out. This MG team must be full of lead by now!
[Image: russianMGteam.jpg]
Notice the amount of lead my supporting infantry are throwing out towards the flags.
At least three platoons made it across the fords but look what was waiting for them......
[Image: minefields.jpg]
Knowing Ratzki, there's a lot more in that wood! Then there's a load of barbed wire to get through outside the wood near the bridge.
Here's a screenshot taken two turns ago.......
[Image: turn9.jpg]

My egg shells on wheels (Romanian tanks!) have already come under air attack, killing a HQ commander. Not many options open to them at the moment (they reverse when fired upon by a ATG). There are now two ATG's firing on them. I can pull them back behind the wood or I can risk advancing them. There's a crossing in the river near the flags plus the riverbanks will take them out of LOS of the ATG's but it's a long ride in open terrain to reach it but at least it's better than just having them sat behind the woods doing nothing. Tank crews, full speed towards the riverbank......GO!!!! :)
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2009, 05:56 AM by Ratzki.)
Sounds like you are enjoying the game so far. I like the ranges that both sides get to shoot at one another at. I find this to be lacking in the QB's, everything happens at too close a range. It's a little tougher to knock out a gun with a veteren mortar team at 1000m+.
Interesting to see what happens over the next few turns, will the Russians be able to push back the assualt?...
02-22-2009, 09:29 AM,
Now on minute 20 and have the bulk of my infantry across the fords and into the woods. The tanks rushed at high speed across the open terrain and I only lost two of them (see screenshot below).
Below is a birds eye view of the battlefield.

[Image: latestbirdeyeview.jpg]

[Image: Romanianarmourriverbank.jpg]

My infantry are starting to flank the fanatic Russian infantry by the flags and bridge. I will attempt to take out that blasted pillbox armed with the ATG. The main prize is of course, the far flag but once my infantry leave the woods and head towards that flag, what awaits them? :eek1:

Ratzki, with the barbed wire, I would of thought the Russians would have placed it by the fords and not half surround the flags by the bridge with it :chin:

My apologises for the poor quality screenshots :( And DK if your reading this, how about you writing something about posting screenshots, the best way to take them and adding text (I can't seem to adjust the box containing the text with mine :( )
02-22-2009, 10:23 AM,
First I "print screen" and copy them into microsoft paint, and save them to my desktop as bitmaps. Then I open up my Ulead Photo Express 6.0 and lighten, sharpen, add text, etc, as needed, then save them to desktop again as JPEGs. Then I open up my photobucket account and upload the JPEG photos there. Then I open up the site here and add the links to the thread I'm doing. They turn out pretty good that way, but some of POS' shots look even better - maybe he can tell us what he does.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM by Ratzki.)
Save them as a .PNG file, not a .JPEG.
02-23-2009, 01:56 AM,
Thanks DK and Ratzki :)
I've just been using MS paint with my screenshots but it's the text boxes which are a pain :(
Looks like I will have to install another program to help overcome this problem!
02-23-2009, 04:26 AM,
Ratzki Wrote:Save them as a .PNG file, not a .JPEG.

Oh really - what does that do to improve them?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM,
Short guide:
http://web-building.crispen.org/formats/index.html

The short answer to why one shoul choose .PNG is that it is lossless. It saves all the information in the image. .JPEG on the other hand is not lossless. It intentionally throws away data to increse the compression ratio.

So .JPEG saves more space but at the cost of degradation in image quality.
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM,
Thanks for fielding that one for me Feydarkin.
I have noticed that there have been 25 D/L of the scenario, how have the reast of the players been doing or and how many are taking up the challenge?