• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '41 artillery and its effects
02-15-2007, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2007, 11:12 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE:��Smolensk '41 artillery and its effects
Baron von Michael Wrote:Real life comparisons to how arty works vs. how arty works in the PzC universe made that confusion harder to understand not easier to understand.

Real Life is not based on hexes 1 km where vis at night is 1 km because the alternative is 0km. In real life one side doesn't move and fire while the other one waits. The game is full of examples where things are BLACK or WHITE while Real Life is full of shades of Grey.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM,
RE: Smolensk '41 artillery and its effects
McIvan Wrote:I guess because anything but preplanned area fire does in fact land on a specific unit. A hex 1km by 1km is a huge area and it would be most unlikely for an arty strike to hit all of it generally.
It's not that big an area, c. 1000 yards x 1000 yards within 2 hour impulses. How many rounds does a 12 gun battery fire in 2 hours? How many minutes of that 2 hours do they actually fire? How tight is the shelling? If 1000 men, or two infantry battalions were in the area they would be in some trouble. WWII tactics usually had only a few companies in such an area, one up front and another two in reserve, no? Instead we may mass practically an entire regiment in such an area, and often do. I often read here how OPS games favor the attacker. If you can mass 1000 men, 100 tanks and 8 guns in a hex without penalty then surely the rules favor the attacker. Jonny
08-28-2009, 09:31 AM,
Wow, this thread is nearly two years old! :)
08-30-2009, 09:50 AM,
Baron von Michael Wrote:Why does it strike only units you pick out, instead of attacking all units in the hex?

So you can maximize your VP Fiery
08-31-2009, 04:03 AM,
c00per Wrote:
Baron von Michael Wrote:Why does it strike only units you pick out, instead of attacking all units in the hex?

So you can maximize your VP Fiery

You are joking right? J
09-01-2009, 06:52 AM,
Foul. Wrote:Wow, this thread is nearly two years old! :)

Weird, huh?
09-01-2009, 07:00 AM,
I didn't know there was an expiration date on ideas. J
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM,
jonnymacbrown Wrote:I didn't know there was an expiration date on ideas. J

Of course there isn't. It was just funny that this thread appeared now. I was reading it as if it were a new thread, thinking to myself, "Here we go again," because it is a recurring theme. It was just funny that I didn't notice that it was, in fact, the earlier conversation, not just a new question.
09-01-2009, 08:00 AM,
Well I don't see that the question is ever satisfactorily answered. I can see aircraft picking out targets. But firing artillery from miles away? How can it be anything except area bombardment? J
09-01-2009, 08:42 AM,
J there are two rules that cover the Artillery, the default and the alt. You can use whatever you and your opponent like.