• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What is the most overrated/underrated unit in CM
12-01-2006, 11:59 PM,
RE: What is the most overrated/underrated unit in CM
Under-rated: smoke. I use it all the time, particuarly on attacks, and especially from tanks, but find that many of my PBEM opponents don't bother with it at all. Many prefer, I guess, not to waste a precious 60 seconds on something that doesn't harm the enemy. Yet smoke is an incredibly useful method for creating mobile barriers to any kind of enemy fire and preventing those dreaded flank attacks. (Not always realistic, though---you can't area fire through smoke at a unit you know is on the other side, so it can act like a solid barrier, but it probably comes close to simulating the actual effects.)
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2006, 03:03 AM,
RE:��What is the most overrated/underrated unit in CM
12-02-2006, 04:18 AM,
Underrated: Shermans. Laugh if you want, but I love these babies. Doesn't matter what year or what kind. They're fast, have a good HE loadout, and because they're not the Russian or German uber-tank, you've got to learn good AFV tactics to succeed with them. Idon't love them because they can blow everything away on the map, but because using them often teaches you how to be a good tank commander.

Overrated: The so-called "uber-tank". Whether it's KV-I's early war or King Tigers late war, relying too much on these guys (especially in QBs) just teaches you to use terrible AFV tactics. This is why I don't play QB's too much; any moron can ask for an unrestricted game and buy a infantry company and a platoon of King Tigers, but I think it takes real skill to get a play scenario after scenario with a random mix of units, and succeed time and time again. I salute those guys on The Blitz.
John Rogers
BeatGuy83
12-02-2006, 07:51 AM,
Underated...
as said above Smoke...
and i think 20mm AAA against Inf.
12-02-2006, 08:53 AM,
Overrated candidate has got to be the PzIV. It looks good and usually has a great load-out of HE, AP and smoke and packs a punch. However, I have found that if my opponent has a guy with a big rock, it's immediate scrap metal.
12-02-2006, 10:44 AM,
The minor country LMGs are underrated in my opinion. They have range and high ammo loadouts. They are cheap and 1 per platoon on attack really help suppress. On defense, 3 to 5 can really help stall a company attack ( along with two HMGs). They can also spot and slow flank attacks on defense. The 75mm inf gun is next. They are cheap and have around 45 HE. Four of these (100 pts) are awesome. Buy a cheap carrier on the attack, bring them up and pound the resistance you face.
12-02-2006, 08:13 PM,
Not sure if it would actually be considered underrated since I rarely hear them discussed, but the Ranger companies of the Americans in CMAK are very versatile. Decent firepower for six man squads, a MMG and mortar with every platoon, and a fair ammo loadout. Certainly not ideal for close quarters and assaults, but if you can afford it, ideal for ID'ing the enemy for the heavier companies to close and destroy.
12-02-2006, 08:25 PM,
Oh, and as far as overrated, I would say the big cats of Germany. Sure they are nifty and heavy, but for the cost you could purchase a crap load of other units. For example, in CMBB, Sept '44, for one platoon regular Tigers (four tanks) you could buy three StugIV(Late) platoons (9 AFV's), or 3 FW-190's, or 5 ME-109's. And for the price of one Panther platoon (VD Late) you could purchase an entire Panzergrenadier Battalion, replete with a bunch of 20mm guns, HMG's and STUFF. Unless you are playing a huge battle (3000+ pts), I find they just aren't worth it.

But I won't turn them down if offered in a scenario, especially the Panthers. ;)
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM,
Hi.

Overrated
--> Panther - Tiger - Firefly - Jagpanther - certain artllery
efficient but very expensive
--> flamethrower vehicules (all type)
difficult to manoeuver, short range and expensive

underrated
--> sherman - valentine (cheap and good gun)
--> Flak 88mm
very high shot rating, very quick manoeuvers to rotate (but i know, it is a bit expensive) - I used it many times in desert games with great results

cheers.
Hubert
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
12-02-2006, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2006, 11:21 PM by Gasbag.)
Most overrated AFV unit: my vote would go for the Sturmmorser Tiger (Sturmtiger) in CMBB. It's extremely heavy so it bogs down easily, slow as molasses in January, hasn't got very much ammunition (14 rounds for the main "gun" if I remember correctly) & last but not least, it takes an awful long time to reload. While it can disintegrate just about anything that you decide to target you get more "bang for your buck" with the Sturmpanzer IV (an underrated unit in my opinion). The Sturmpanzer IV is much cheaper to buy & has an excellent "bunker busting" capability.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe