• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy Patch Update
05-08-2016, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016, 08:28 PM by Strela.)
RE: Normandy Patch Update
Normandy Patch 1.01 Change Log

Hi All,

We have just received the latest patch update from John. Though this doesn't have everything we wanted, we/ve decided to release what has been done to date.

Below you can see what is in the patch. What hasn't made it for this round but is being actively worked on is;

Place All function for reinforcements
User Interface and Reporting improvements

There will be a follow up patch to include these and some other enhancements planned beyond the above. We believe we have covered off the most troublesome bugs etc in the 1.01 patch.

Patch notes

Bug Fixes
  • Units could use a bridge while in travel mode to enter an obstacle and then exit the hex, rather than lose their whole movement allowance. This has been corrected and units will now lose all their movement points if they move into an obstacle hex
  • Engineer units were in some cases isolated when in a minefield – this should no longer occur
  • Engineer units will not clear a minefield in a turn that they recover from disruption
  • Adjacent engineers no longer remove isolation for units in minefields
  • Off map artillery was not firing during the defensive fire phase – this will now occur at the same frequency as on map artillery
  • Engineers that attempt to damage a bridge or AT ditch will reveal themselves if currently concealed
  • Units can no longer combine if in mismatched travel modes
  • File mismatch due to different encryption setting during PBEM – fixed
  • Campaign auto-advance on wrong password entry – fixed

Enhancements
  • New parameter file entry – Fatigue factor. Used for scaling fatigue accumulation. Set at 2.0 for Normandy & Kursk. Will be 3.0 for future titles to match the fatigue calculations in Panzer Campaigns. 3.0 is the more appropriate value to use, but none of the Kursk & Normandy scenarios were tested with the higher value
  • New on counter broken and disrupted markings – visible when stacked and unstacked.[Image: PB%20Graphics%20457.jpg]
  • New Getting Started documentation, including Campaign Primer and Terrain & Combat tables
  • Updated General Help guide with a revised layout and additional information.
  • Updated User guide with a revised layout and additional information. All manuals are a work in progress and will continue to be rationalised over time.

Order of Battle Changes
  • Luftwaffe 42 76mm Gun btty (hs) Soft attack value reduced to 9 from 39.
  • Corrected ‘Is Support’ flags for heavy mortars in 5. Fallschirm-Jäger Division & FJ-Regt 6
  • American & French M-21 Halftrack 81mm mortar soft attack value reduced to 10 to align with other 81mm mortars

Graphics Changes
  • Regiments in British, British Airborne, Canadian and Polish are now show as battalions, conforming to the correct unit size.
  • Corrected incorrect alternative graphics in US airborne
  • New ‘small’ terrain features. All files are under \Maps\Map Variants\Small. Copy all the 11 files into the map directory and overwrite the existing. To revert to the original graphics, copy the files out of \Maps\Map Variants\Original directory back into the Map directory.

Scenario Changes
  • #01 Getting Started: Hill 192 - Kraut Corner  Missing entrenchments in hex (5,8) added. All entrenchments now halved in value i.e. marked as vacated.
  • #02 Getting Started: Utah Beach                       Erroneous reinforcements and releases removed. Game length extended to 12 turns. Selected defences now begin disrupted.
  • #0607_02: Authie - 12th SS Riposte                  Corrected scenario name
  • #0614_01: Return to Carentan                   Tweaks for balance
  • #0622_01: Cherbourg Landfront                       Corrected scenario name
  • #0622_01a: Cherbourg Landfront                     Corrected scenario name
  • #0622_02: Cherbourg - The Right Flank          Corrected scenario name
  • #0626_01: Operation Epsom - Day One          Replaced DD tanks with standard Shermans
  • #0629_01: Operation Epsom - Day Four         Corrected scenario name
  • #0711_01: Le Dezert                                              Added a supply source in (48,16), 60th Regt, 9th Infantry added
  • #0711_01a: Le Dezert                                            Added a supply source in (48,16), 60th Regt, 9th Infantry added
  • #0711_02: Hill 192 - Battle in the Bocage       Missing entrenchments in hex (5,11) & (6,10) added.
  • #0718_03: Operation Goodwood - Fifes         Corrected ‘fixed’ reinforcements
  • #0719_01: Goodwood Day 2                               Corrected scenario name
  • #0803_01: la Bistiere - Tigers Marsch!             Removed redundant British smoke. 3 turns added for HTH play
  • #0803_01a: la Bistiere - Tigers Marsch!          New vs AI scenario
  • #0803_02: Les Grands Bonfaits - Nedforce    Updated description
  • #0808_04: Gaumesnil                                            Corrected scenario name
  • #0808_05: Cauvicourt - Blooding the Polish  Corrected scenario name
  • #0809_01: Worthington Force                            Corrected scenario name
  • #0811_01: Barenton - V Corps Strikes             Corrected missing stream hex sides in hex (11,220 & (11,29), II SS Pzkorps HQ now off map
  • #0812_01: Forêt d'Ecouves                                  Corrected scenario name
  • #0820_01: Falaise                                                    Corrected scenario name
  • CG_2US_Armd_6: Barenton                                II SS Pzkorps HQ now off map
  • CG_2US_Armd_6a: Barenton                              II SS Pzkorps HQ now off map
  • CG_2US_Armd_6b: Barenton                             II SS Pzkorps HQ now off map
  • CG_2US_Armd_6c: Barenton                              Corrected ownership of trenches

Map Changes
  • Alternate small map graphics included
  • Heavy Bridge removed from hex (85,108)
  • Medium Bridges added at (242,198) and (246,197)
  • Small Bridges added at (232,199), (236,203) & (237,204)
  • All rail bridges converted to small bridges to reflect their poor ability to carry vehicles.
  • Numerous place name updates
  • Rail lines removed as per the below. Thanks to Chris Haigh who did all the research here.
  • Most of these were tramways and were in the actual adjacent road – most closed before the war;
  • Isigny - Grandcamp - St Laurent - Le Molay/Littry - Balleroy - (Closed 1929)
  • Balleroy - Bayeaux (only shown on map going as far as Subles) - (Closed 1930) 
  • Balleroy - St Martin des Basacres (358,337) - Closed (1930) 
  • Bayeaux - Ryes - Arromanches - (Closed 1930/1) 
  • Ryes - Courseulles - (Closed 1931) 
  • Luc sur Mer - Ouistreham - Benouville - Caen (shown only going as far as Blainville) - (Closed 1944) 
  • Pont de Ranville (actually Benouville crossing Pegasus bridge!) - Dives - (Closed 1932) 
  • Caen (west station) - Potigny (547,336) - Falaise - (Closed 1932/3)
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2016, 02:27 PM,
Some further commentary.

The Fatigue Factor in the parameter file should go a long way to solving the issues people are seeing with the lack of disruptions. The parameter file is currently set to 2.0 which is the original value in both Normandy & Kursk. My recommendation is that it should be 3.0 to see behaviour that is equivalent to Panzer Campaign games. If you change this parameter please confirm this with your opponent. As far as the on-going competition, I'll talk to Dogsoldier, but I suggest that this value be left at 2.0 as that is the value the scenarios were balanced with.

We have also gone back and looked at the Getting Started scenarios and they should not be so 'troublesome' going forward.

There has also been a heap of work on the manuals and you should be able to find information more quickly and actually find all the new features are now documented.

So all in all we have tried to make this all easier for those that have not had experience with Tiller games before.

There is a lot more to come, but you should see the upcoming patch in the next couple of days.

David
05-08-2016, 10:57 PM,
Thanks, if i understand this correct we can play all scenarios with Fatigue Factor 3.0 through a change in the Parameter file ?
05-08-2016, 11:14 PM,
(05-08-2016, 10:57 PM)wiggum Wrote: Thanks, if i understand this correct we can play all scenarios with  Fatigue Factor 3.0 through a change in the Parameter file ?

Yes, correct.

And you can set it to any value you like. You want it higher it can be 3.5, 4.0 etc

It does have the ability to included decimal places.

Including it in the parameter file allows people to test it, change values and feedback on their results.

David
05-08-2016, 11:36 PM,
Alot of good updated stuff here!

Thanks to the update crew!   Thumbs Up
05-09-2016, 12:02 AM,
(05-08-2016, 11:14 PM)Strela Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 10:57 PM)wiggum Wrote: Thanks, if i understand this correct we can play all scenarios with  Fatigue Factor 3.0 through a change in the Parameter file ?

Yes, correct.

And you can set it to any value you like. You want it higher it can be 3.5, 4.0 etc

Including it in the parameter file allows people to test it, change values and feedback on their results.

David

Great. If you say it will lead to more disruptions and broken results then i will use it for sure.
So the current number is 2.0 and your recommended number would be 3.0 (which will also be used in the new PzB game), correct ?
05-09-2016, 12:39 AM,
(05-09-2016, 12:02 AM)wiggum Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 11:14 PM)Strela Wrote:

Yes, correct.

David

Great. If you say it will lead to more disruptions and broken results then i will use it for sure.
So the current number is 2.0 and your recommended number would be 3.0 (which will also be used in the new PzB game), correct ?

To get an equivalent spread of results similar to Panzer Campaigns then yes 3.0 is the correct value to use.

3.0 aligns the fatigue accumulation algorithms with the ones used in Panzer Campaigns.

I would suggest running a few tests with other values to see what feels right. We have not extensively tested this new feature as we're not changing the values in the currently released titles.

We will get a better feel overall once we start testing PzB 3.

David
05-09-2016, 05:37 AM,
Pardon my ignorance, but where can we get the update, please?

I checked Tiller's website, but saw nothing in the updates section.
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball
05-09-2016, 05:59 AM,
(05-09-2016, 05:37 AM)FroBodine Wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but where can we get the update, please?  

I checked Tiller's website, but saw nothing in the updates section.

See post #92 - said it would be a couple days yet.
05-10-2016, 01:50 AM,
Thank you. I missed that last little sentence. Doh!

-=Jeff
"I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work."

-- Oddball