• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy Patch Update
01-19-2016, 01:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016, 02:25 AM by Strela.)
Normandy Patch Update
Hi All,

Thought it time to give you a quick update on the patch now that the game has been out for a month.

Firstly, it's great to see how many new players are here at the Blitz! The game has resonated with the sales having followed. We probably packed more into this title than any before and I doubt we will do something this size going forward. Never fear, we know a few ways to deliver value with more targeted titles - the new campaign feature in particular opens up some new options.

I have been collating all error reports and feature requests. Usually we will wait a few months for people to really play the game and see what is broken. I'm currently double-checking if there is anything materially wrong with the scenarios chosen for the tournament and if so, we will post some fixes here before the tournament starts.

That said, I now have a master list of fixes/requests and will be asking John for some programming assistance soon. All timing will be dependent on his current schedule - obviously bug fixes will take precedence over new features.

More to follow but thanks to all that have populated the various threads here on the board.

David
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2016, 02:15 AM,
RE: Normandy Patch Update
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Super game!
01-19-2016, 08:56 AM,
i agree. super game.
01-22-2016, 09:48 PM,
Are you working on tweaks regarding the whole bunkers discussion ?
Another thread just popped up describing the "problem" man players have/see in this area.
01-23-2016, 09:08 AM,
(01-22-2016, 09:48 PM)wiggum Wrote: Are you working on tweaks regarding the whole bunkers discussion ?
Another thread just popped up describing the "problem" man players have/see in this area.

Everything is considered, including trying to ensure you are all 'educated'...!   Helmet Wink

I spoke to Hadge and he posted his post as he realised he was doing it wrong rather than the bunkers were an issue.

This is the issue - in his case it was the terrain + bunkers + hedgerows that were giving him headaches and he never realised it. He now does and is approaching these kind of positions differently.

It's worth asking him in his thread whether he thinks bunkers need to be changed or tweaked...

A mini update on the patch - I fixed all the data/scenario/map issues that have been raised (many not seen on this board) and am now working through a bug/enhancement list that require programming. More on this, in this thread as I have further news.

David
01-23-2016, 08:40 PM,
Quote:Everything is considered, including trying to ensure you are all 'educated'...! 

for me, this is the correct response and appreciated.  I was worried about a dev knee jerk reaction to early feedback; I can see now that there is a commitment to seeing that well-tested outcomes are supported as appropriate, particularly in an early release window.
cheers
01-23-2016, 10:18 PM,
Maybe the way Bunkers/Pillboxes is not buggy but what about DISRUPTION results rarely happen (especially for units in bunkers) and BROKEN results are as rare as it gets.

I think Inf can be pushed a bit to hard in PzB, no matter offense or defense. This needs tweaking in my opinion like many players already said (Look at all those threads about the topic).

A "Gamey", unrealistic, approach that produces "winning" results is not like a comprehensible approach that works as you would expect it in a realistic way.
01-24-2016, 01:09 AM,
(01-23-2016, 10:18 PM)wiggum Wrote: Maybe the way Bunkers/Pillboxes is not buggy but what about DISRUPTION results rarely happen (especially for units in bunkers) and BROKEN results are as rare as it gets.

I think Inf can be pushed a bit to hard in PzB, no matter offense or defense. This needs tweaking in my opinion like many players already said (Look at all those threads about the topic).

A "Gamey", unrealistic, approach that produces "winning" results is not like a comprehensible approach that works as you would expect it in a realistic way.

Thanks Wiggum,

Firstly we're looking at disruption/broken and I'll layout how it works in due course.

What I'm particularly interested is some examples of 'a comprehensible approach that works as you would expect it in a realistic way'

This would assist me to understand where you (and obviously others) are being forced into 'gamey & unrealistic' actions.

We have prided ourselves on trying to have players 'discover' tactics that were used historically and that is obviously not working based on your commentary. I also want to understand whether your thoughts are only related to bunkers or are broader, covering off other games systems.

Thanks,

David
01-24-2016, 02:10 AM,
(01-24-2016, 01:09 AM)Strela Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 10:18 PM)wiggum Wrote: Maybe the way Bunkers/Pillboxes is not buggy but what about DISRUPTION results rarely happen (especially for units in bunkers) and BROKEN results are as rare as it gets.

Thanks Wiggum,

Firstly we're looking at disruption/broken and I'll layout how it works in due course.

What I'm particularly interested is some examples of 'a comprehensible approach that works as you would expect it in a realistic way'

This would assist me to understand where you (and obviously others) are being forced into 'gamey & unrealistic' actions.

We have prided ourselves on trying to have players 'discover' tactics that were used historically and that is obviously not working based on your commentary. I also want to understand whether your thoughts are only related to bunkers or are broader, covering off other games systems.

Thanks,

David

The information you provided in your correspondence with Hadge in the 'Saga of Hex' thread was very enlightening and seems to have resolved his concerns. Disabling on-map results helps, but even then the results display is not comprehensive. A complete list of all modifiers for a direct-fire event or assault in the result display would certainly be enlightening, reducing possible misinterpretation of tables or parameter data for a scenario.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.-Umberto Eco
01-24-2016, 03:27 AM,
(01-23-2016, 09:08 AM)Strela Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 09:48 PM)wiggum Wrote: Are you working on tweaks regarding the whole bunkers discussion ?

Everything is considered, including trying to ensure you are all 'educated'...!   Helmet Wink

I spoke to Hadge and he posted his post as he realised he was doing it wrong rather than the bunkers were an issue.

This is the issue - in his case it was the terrain + bunkers + hedgerows that were giving him headaches and he never realised it. He now does and is approaching these kind of positions differently.

It's worth asking him in his thread whether he thinks bunkers need to be changed or tweaked...

A mini update on the patch - I fixed all the data/scenario/map issues that have been raised (many not seen on this board) and am now working through a bug/enhancement list that require programming. More on this, in this thread as I have further news.

David

David, I would say then that the Getting Started file should be changed to educate people. In the Kraut Corner area there is only one hex where the  Americans can affect Kraut corner with effective fire. Nothing like that is mentioned. Neither is the fact that most fire in bocage territory is so reduced (50%).

Just learning to more and fire is not enough when there is only one hex where fire is effective from.