• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

In's and Out's of 'Abandon Bridge' ?
05-27-2024, 03:30 AM,
In's and Out's of 'Abandon Bridge' ?
The manual doesn't get too detailed on the details of 'Abandon Bridge', but it seems fairly straight forward.  However, I'm assuming that if you abandon the bridge it allows the unit to move along but the bridge stays intact.  Is that a correct assumption?
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2024, 05:24 AM,
RE: In's and Out's of 'Abandon Bridge' ?
(05-27-2024, 03:30 AM)MisterMark Wrote: The manual doesn't get too detailed on the details of 'Abandon Bridge', but it seems fairly straight forward.  However, I'm assuming that if you abandon the bridge it allows the unit to move along but the bridge stays intact.  Is that a correct assumption?

No sir, the exact opposite.  Engineering bridges of the era are not self maintaining things, they must be manned to keep the current from sweeping them away.  If your engineer “abandons” his bridge he is cutting it loose and letting it go.  You may move the engineer but having abandoned his equipment he’ll never build another one.
05-27-2024, 08:21 AM,
Also, just as an FYI, if the engineer unit that constructed the bridge is forced to retreat either through assault or by becoming broken, the bridge is gone as well. Ask me how I know that. Go on, ask me!  Helmet Rolleyes

And in that vein, I wonder why it is that you can't transfer maintenance of a bridge from one engineer unit to another? It seems like it would be a fairly simple and logical thing to do...
05-27-2024, 10:32 PM,
Or get the equipment for another bridge. Engineer stacked with Div, Corps or Army HQ should be able to get the equipment for another bridge. It could be a random thing in the larger turned scenarios and campaigns. Just spit balling here.
05-28-2024, 03:48 AM,
(05-27-2024, 08:21 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote: Also, just as an FYI, if the engineer unit that constructed the bridge is forced to retreat either through assault or by becoming broken, the bridge is gone as well. Ask me how I know that. Go on, ask me!  Helmet Rolleyes

And in that vein, I wonder why it is that you can't transfer maintenance of a bridge from one engineer unit to another? It seems like it would be a fairly simple and logical thing to do...

LOL - no need to ask, we can figure that one out.

As for why you can't transfer the bridge to another Engineer.....no real world reason, just because it's not programed that way, and probably isn't a very big issue to get on their list of things to do.  Especially so given the recent loss of the lead PzC programmer.
05-28-2024, 03:54 AM,
(05-27-2024, 10:32 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Or get the equipment for another bridge.  Engineer stacked with Div, Corps or Army HQ should be able to get the equipment for another bridge.  It could be a random thing in the larger turned scenarios and campaigns.  Just spit balling here.

I am reaching back 15 or so years into my memory here, but if I recall correctly the reason it was done the way it is was to prevent abuse.  While realistically what you say makes sense, there probably would be some limited amounts of bridging equipment in reserve, when abandon bridge was instituted to allow players to recover the engineer it was thought some price needed to be paid.  If you could regain it by stacking with an HQ like Truck Transport players would be cutting bridges lose left and right.  The idea of transferring the bridge to another Engineer is probably a solution open to less abuse, but bridging in general just doesn't seem like something WDS would be overly concerned with changing (but then again, what do I know)   2cents2
05-28-2024, 10:22 PM,
I was just thinking if you stacked it with a higher HQ, you could get another bridge, but, the possibility would be random and low and only for Campaign sized scenarios. Personally, I think it is fine just the way it is. Because, the more things you put on these guy's plates, the more time you take away from new titles. I'd rather have new titles to choose from.
05-29-2024, 12:06 AM,
(05-28-2024, 03:48 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 08:21 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote: Also, just as an FYI, if the engineer unit that constructed the bridge is forced to retreat either through assault or by becoming broken, the bridge is gone as well. Ask me how I know that. Go on, ask me!  Helmet Rolleyes

LOL - no need to ask, we can figure that one out.

As for why you can't transfer the bridge to another Engineer.....no real world reason, just because it's not programed that way, and probably isn't a very big issue to get on their list of things to do.  Especially so given the recent loss of the lead PzC programmer.
Oddly enough, the broken engineer unit. having involuntarily "abandoned" his bridge, still retains bridging capability. Admittedly, it will be a while before the unit is in any shape to build another bridge, but this is a 284-turn game and it's only turn 27 so he will probably be back in action at some point.