• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

List of My WDS Collection
05-24-2024, 05:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2024, 10:56 PM by DB_Zero.)
List of My WDS Collection
Battles of Kursk
Battles of Normandy
Battles of North Africa 1941
PzC Japan '45
PzC Kursk '43
PzC Market-Garden '44
PzC Normandy '44
PzC Philippines '44
PzC Salerno '43
PzC Tunisia '43
War on the Southern Front

Does seem like some of the titles might not be suitable for PBEM as balancing or nature of the conflict and better suited for solitaire play.
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2024, 08:17 AM,
RE: List of My WDS Collection
All of the titles are suitable for PBEM, if the battle/campaign was one sided historically the designer has tools that can counter that by requiring the player with the advantage to achieve a better result than happened historically.

So yes as the player on the defensive you will have to give ground, but you can still achieve a victory, some players struggle to get their heads round this concept but it does work.  Wink
05-24-2024, 09:48 AM,
(05-24-2024, 08:17 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: All of the titles are suitable for PBEM, if the battle/campaign was one sided historically the designer has tools that can counter that by requiring the player with the advantage to achieve a better result than happened historically.

So yes as the player on the defensive you will have to give ground, but you can still achieve a victory, some players struggle to get their heads round this concept but it does work.  Wink

Thanks for the clarification. I have a question you may be able to answer. In Kursk 43 as well as in Normandy 44 I have some units that are adjacent to an enemy unit, but when I try to fire at the enemy unit it won't let me and says it exceeds the range of the firing unit. It doesn't happen all the time and it also seems that when it comes to defensive fire its not affected.

There must be some factor that prevents my infantry unit from firing at an adjacent unit I'm not yet aware of.
05-24-2024, 10:55 AM,
(05-24-2024, 09:48 AM)DB_Zero Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 08:17 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: All of the titles are suitable for PBEM, if the battle/campaign was one sided historically the designer has tools that can counter that by requiring the player with the advantage to achieve a better result than happened historically.

Thanks for the clarification. I have a question you may be able to answer. In Kursk 43 as well as in Normandy 44 I have some units that are adjacent to an enemy unit, but when I try to fire at the enemy unit it won't let me and says it exceeds the range of the firing unit. It doesn't happen all the time and it also seems that when it comes to defensive fire its not affected.

There must be some factor that prevents my infantry unit from firing at an adjacent unit I'm not yet aware of.

The unit you are trying to fire with has a range of zero, which means that value is used only in assault not ranged fire.  If you click on a unit and then click on the unit box in the side window you will see the back of the unit which has the unit data, including range.  For example if you’re trying to fire at a tank and your unit’s hard attack is 5/0 that second number is the range.
05-24-2024, 01:00 PM,

(05-24-2024, 10:55 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 09:48 AM)DB_Zero Wrote:

The unit you are trying to fire with has a range of zero, which means that value is used only in assault not ranged fire.  If you click on a unit and then click on the unit box in the side window you will see the back of the unit which has the unit data, including range.  For example if you’re trying to fire at a tank and your unit’s hard attack is 5/0 that second number is the range.

Exactly, and I would only add that this will include firing on units in bunkers - of which there are many in both of those titles.
05-25-2024, 01:39 AM,
Thanks for the info. Useful to know. So looks like some Inf units are close assault only. Speaking of close assault I think I recall from Battle in NA that when using tanks you should have a certain ratio of infantry accompanying it.

In the Campaign series is it a good idea to pair an infantry with armored units in close assaults.

Against bunkers what about engineers? Would pairing an flak unit with light AA be of any benefit in a close assault?

Lots of little nuances to learn and be aware it seems in this series of games.
05-25-2024, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2024, 02:19 AM by Steel God.)
(05-25-2024, 01:39 AM)DB_Zero Wrote: Thanks for the info. Useful to know. So looks like some Inf units are close assault only. Speaking of close assault I think I recall from Battle in NA that when using tanks you should have a certain ratio of infantry accompanying it.

In the Campaign series is it a good idea to pair an infantry with armored units in close assaults.

Against bunkers what about engineers? Would pairing an flak unit with light AA be of any benefit in a close assault?

Lots of little nuances to learn and be aware it seems in this series of games.

The bit with 0 range hard attack values tends to be an early war issue when AT weapons for infantry were both rare and ineffective.  As far as Engineers in assault they tend to have higher assault values IF they are combat engineers.  Pairing infantry with your armor when assaulting into close terrain is essential as you’ll be penalized if you don’t.

A lot of these questions can be answered with a reading of the User Manual and Design Notes, if you want to avoid a lot of frustration from trial and error that should be your first step.