• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

the proving grounds
07-03-2022, 08:07 AM,
RE: the proving grounds
To be honest, I've never heard of The-proving-grounds.com.But whatever.
I also play CMx2, but I still haven't figured out how the enemy detection system works.And that after more than ten years.
So far no one has been able to explain it to me.
Just one example. How does the enemy manage to spot my camouflaged units lying completely still and motionless in the forest after a few turns?Or camouflaged units in houses. They are discovered immediately after two rounds after an opponent has occupied the house opposite.I don't understand any of that.
In the old CM games, stealthed and silent infantry were only discovered through direct contact.Just like it is in real war.
But how can it be that hidden, silent units are immediately discovered just by observing the terrain?As in CMx2.
Something like that would be possible with thermal imaging cameras. Rather atypical in WW2.
Also the reaction of tank crews to enemy vehicles is strange in CMx2.I've tested it many times, but haven't figured out why this or that is the case.
For example, an Elite Stug III stands on a street. The commander looks out with binoculars and sees the whole street. About 300 meters.Then there's a left turn with a house in front of it. An M8 Greyhound comes around the house and stops in the road.Both opponents don't see each other for two laps!!!Open view for 300 meters!!!On a street!!
Then, on the third round, the Greyhound saw the Stug and shot it down.
The same with a Hetzer in ace status. Hatch open, commander with binoculars.Visible only one street. About 500 meters unobstructed view. An M36 Jackson comes around the curve.I was happy that the Hetzer would fire. But nothing. He didn't see the Jackson.The Jackson saw the Hetzer immediately and shot him down.
Do you know what I mean? In the game it doesn't seem to matter if the units are recruits or elite/ace. Or if the commander is looking out of the dome or not.It's somehow just arbitrary or random calculation of the AI when who sees whom first.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
the proving grounds - by exiuter - 07-01-2022, 08:24 PM
RE: the proving grounds - by Alpha Zwo - 07-01-2022, 09:14 PM
RE: the proving grounds - by exiuter - 07-01-2022, 10:49 PM
RE: the proving grounds - by Westland - 07-03-2022, 02:20 AM
RE: the proving grounds - by exiuter - 07-03-2022, 05:40 AM
RE: the proving grounds - by Westland - 07-03-2022, 08:07 AM
RE: the proving grounds - by OWL - 07-04-2022, 12:11 AM