• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

'Tigers on the Prowl', 'Panthers in the Shadows'
12-20-2021, 07:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 08:11 PM by Embis.)
'Tigers on the Prowl', 'Panthers in the Shadows'
These were the first computer wargames I remember playing, published by HPS they ran in Dos, you can  remind yourself what they looked like here My PC was just at the edge of the minimum requirements  which was a whopping: 

IBM-compatible 386/16 PC or higher
VGA graphics or better
580k free RAM
1 MB high memory
4 MB hard disk space
Mouse

..I love the fact that one of these minimum requirements is a mouse Big Laugh 

When I got a 486 and a hard drive big enough to load three of these games from 3 &1/2" floppies ..wow.... My friends were jealous.. 

Had so many hours of fun with these games and I loved the detail, My next steps after Microsofts 'Close Combat' and SPI's 'Steel Panthers', would have been 'Squad battles Vietnam' and 'Panzer Campaigns Smolensk'.. I pretty much stayed with JTS games thereafter.

• But when did 'Tigers on the Prowl', 'Panthers in the Shadows' and 'Dragons in the Mist' come out? 

I have a feeling they were the first 'serious' computer wargame they must predate Close Combat which was out in '96 but possibly not by much.

• Anyone know of a computer wargame that predates them?

(apart from the program I wrote on a Saturday afternoon in 1982 on a ZX81 to roll dice and look up results in tables to speed up my play of Avalon Hills Panzergruppe Guderian Big Grin )
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
'Tigers on the Prowl', 'Panthers in the Shadows' - by Embis - 12-20-2021, 07:33 PM